Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When you think about it, the term smart 'phone' is a misnomer. A pocket-sized plastic device that lets you make phone calls to pretty much anyone on the planet is amazing enough, but that's a small part of it. It's a pager, it's a radio, it's a record player, it's a tape (sic) recorder, it's a television, it's a games console, it's a library, it's a newspaper, it's a calculator, it's a compass, it's a tape (sic) measure, it's a torch, it's a guitar tuner, it's a musical instrument, it's a credit/debit card, it's a whole high street full of shops... I'm sure I've missed a few. 

I wonder if it seems as incredible to someone who was born in this millennium as it does to a 1950s baby like me? Or is it just something taken for granted? 

It's definitely taken for granted now, even for people like me who can still remember a time before that technology, whilst still being young enough to not have fully adjusted to life before it.

Forgetting the rest of a smartphone, I think trying to explain to someone from the 50's/60's/70's that I had the equivalent of an entire record collection inside my phone would be impossible. 
Even more so when I tried to explain that they could name pretty much any song in the entire world and I could get that too, in seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's definitely taken for granted now, even for people like me who can still remember a time before that technology, whilst still being young enough to not have fully adjusted to life before it.

Forgetting the rest of a smartphone, I think trying to explain to someone from the 50's/60's/70's that I had the equivalent of an entire record collection inside my phone would be impossible. 
Even more so when I tried to explain that they could name pretty much any song in the entire world and I could get that too, in seconds.

This is it. I mean, even I take it for granted most of the time. After all, all the things it can do, I could (mostly) do Back In The Day - just using loads of different (and large) devices. 

But when I stop to think of the versatility and minaturisation - wow, 

Edited by mjmooney

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is it. I mean, even I take it for granted most of the time. After all, all the things it can do, I could (mostly) do Back In The Day - just using loads of different (and large) devices. 

But when I stop to think of the versatility and minaturisation - wow, 

Even harder, if you went back in time to the 60's or whatever and tried to explain a smartphone to them... even if they KNEW you were indeed form the future, I can't imagine they woudl ever believe what you were telling them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even harder, if you went back in time to the 60's or whatever and tried to explain a smartphone to them... even if they KNEW you were indeed form the future, I can't imagine they woudl ever believe what you were telling them.

I'm from the future and I can tell you now, the future is all about queefing into tubes of different circumferences. 

I think Wall.E got the future spot on.  No one talking to each other, all fat, the world in which we live becomes corporationized to the point where nothing else matters, we shit on it until it's useless and only a small, trash compacting robot who likes dancing can save us.

• Like 1

Nevermind going back to the 1960's and amazing someone with technology.

I gave up trying to explain the internet to an 86 year old on Sunday. Just couldn't grasp that the Oxford Dictionary on an ipad was the Oxford Dictionary, just completely up to date. Similarly, that she shops from catalogues but would never ever buy online as you can't see it first.

In the end I totally agreed with her and went for a walk up the garden to calm down.

8 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Do you wonder as I sometimes do about the news extracts and adverts within the film "Robocop" ? (Original Version) ?

How over time these once seemingly whimsical snapshots of a nightmare future have since become more true to life the longer we live, I think these and news clips of that ilk are now showing live on CNN.  

Will our current nightmare of mass shootings and terrorism be looked on as a saver place for people as they look to history for answers ?  

I remember watching this film and these clips and thinking,  "fools",  they are way off there.  I thought it was going to be like BTTF2 everywhere and so it.

There are films in this era where the "Big Crime" is someone doing a lot less than the bloke in Vegas the other day.  I don't know what all this means but it's not good.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Sounds kinda cool, but it's looking to be people avoiding people even more.  

I think the world will look back at the 70s, 80s & 90s, where technology was available, but not essential and think of them as "freedom" times, where you could be off grid.  

It seemed like a nice balance which I think has gone too far now, but that's just me :)

Back to the point about fast-travel.  I think it's quite funny that even though we have better options to get places than we did, we're getting there slower generally because of lack of infrastructure and too many traffic jams! :) 

Fully agree. I'm in awe at what technology can do - the modern day smartphone is amazing - with Spotify and Netflix and Sky I can listen to almost every song recorded or watch a choice of thousands of films or tv shows. Plus I have the www at my fingertips so almost anything can be looked up. That being said... I do miss the more basic days where people weren't glued to their phones. I do feel the world is a lonelier and nastier place now as people don't talk as much and have a tendency to be horrible and rude online whereas they wouldn't do it to your face. 

I look back at my early days of clubbing and going out and none of us had phones. You agreed to meet somewhere and that was it! Occasionally used pay-phones. A night out or a gig was about having a great time and not trying to record it or take photos to upload to social media so you can look as though you lead a brilliant and interesting life to people you barely know. Nowadays people have a crisis if instagram is down for a few hours... so they take to twitter and snapchat to complain! 

I realise I probably come across as a moody old bastard but hey, what can I say? Just the way I feel. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When you think about it, the term smart 'phone' is a misnomer. A pocket-sized plastic device that lets you make phone calls to pretty much anyone on the planet is amazing enough, but that's a small part of it. It's a pager, it's a radio, it's a record player, it's a tape (sic) recorder, it's a television, it's a games console, it's a library, it's a newspaper, it's a calculator, it's a compass, it's a tape (sic) measure, it's a torch, it's a guitar tuner, it's a musical instrument, it's a credit/debit card, it's a whole high street full of shops... I'm sure I've missed a few. 

I wonder if it seems as incredible to someone who was born in this millennium as it does to a 1950s baby like me? Or is it just something taken for granted? 

It's also a means to viewing unlimited breasts and vaginas... :blush:

Surely it's not just me that surfs risqué??

• Like 2

Define what "heavy " music is to you. I think a lot of people misinterpret what's heavy and what's just loud and aggressive. I've had this argument a couple of times with people that don't know the concept of what's "heavy" and what ain't. Maybe I'm being a boring clearing in the woods, but it annoys me. My wife's cousins are proper metal heads and are into slipknot, iron maiden, slayer etc. They lump Black  Sabbath into what they call "ghey rock" with guns n roses and that sort, and don't think they are heavy at all. Like I said they are not getting the concept of being "heavy". There are plenty of "heavy" bands from the past and present day. I annoyingly tried to explain this to my wife and an old friend of mine a few years back. 

iron maiden, Judas Priest, megadeth,  Metallica, AC/DC etc are not heavy at all. Loud, yes, aggressive, yes, fast, yes, but not heavy. Sabbath are heavy, blue cheer were heavy, zep at times were heavy. Electric wizard are extremely heavy. Some bands names just sound really heavy, and the song subjects they write about are heavy topics and proper downer stuff. It's about the sound of a band and how it comes across, and the whole vibe of a band and it's music. The downtuning of guitars which became common practice in metal, but still some bands couldn't  grasp the concept of being "heavy". I still think to this day black sabbath are the blue print and set the standards of what being "heavy" is all about. I don't mind some metal, but I love "heavy" music. There is a big difference. Anyway.....:)

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I find it best not to care about genre definitions. 

It's not so much genre definitions that I'm on about, it's what's truly, there's that word again "heavy". All nonsense I know, but I thought  I'd get it off my chest. 

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Define what "heavy " music is to you. I think a lot of people misinterpret what's heavy and what's just loud and aggressive. I've had this argument a couple of times with people that don't know the concept of what's "heavy" and what ain't. Maybe I'm being a boring clearing in the woods, but it annoys me. My wife's cousins are proper metal heads and are into slipknot, iron maiden, slayer etc. They lump Black  Sabbath into what they call "ghey rock" with guns n roses and that sort, and don't think they are heavy at all. Like I said they are not getting the concept of being "heavy". There are plenty of "heavy" bands from the past and present day. I annoyingly tried to explain this to my wife and an old friend of mine a few years back. 

iron maiden, Judas Priest, megadeth,  Metallica, AC/DC etc are not heavy at all. Loud, yes, aggressive, yes, fast, yes, but not heavy. Sabbath are heavy, blue cheer were heavy, zep at times were heavy. Electric wizard are extremely heavy. Some bands names just sound really heavy, and the song subjects they write about are heavy topics and proper downer stuff. It's about the sound of a band and how it comes across, and the whole vibe of a band and it's music. The downtuning of guitars which became common practice in metal, but still some bands couldn't  grasp the concept of being "heavy". I still think to this day black sabbath are the blue print and set the standards of what being "heavy" is all about. I don't mind some metal, but I love "heavy" music. There is a big difference. Anyway.....:)

I like heavy music, but I'd not class myself as a fan of metal. There are some bits I like, but on the whole, metal leaves me a bit cold. I tend to like doom or stoner rock, and most bands that are obviously influenced by Sabbath. I like bands like Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Orange Goblin, Sleep, High on Fire, Dead Meadow, Saint Vitus, Acid King, Melvins, Sunn 0))) etc, and I wouldn't say they all sound the same, but I consider them all to be heavy.    

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Â