Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

11 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I had this problem the other day. Apparently it's something to do with a reply to a tweet getting more likes than the original.

It still 'kin annoyed me that I had to look it up.

Ratio

How many people have talents that they never uncover where they would have had the natural ability to be one of the best in the world?

This came to me whilst watching the Queen's Gambit.  Considering it seems to be a game with a heavy emphasis on natural ability and instincts, how many potential chess world champions are there that have never even considered playing?  Doesn't apply to me unfortunately, I learned to play as a kid and was relatively meh.  

What is the most pervasive smell in the world? My vote goes to TCP. 

The missus got an insect bite on her arm yesterday, and dabbed a small drop of TCP on it. Nearly 24 hours later, the whole house still stinks of the stuff. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The missus got a insect bite on her arm yesterday, and dabbed a small drop of TCP on it. Nearly 24 hours later, the whole house still stinks of the stuff. 

My grandparents were fully convinced users of the stuff. When I was living in Asia, I had trouble finding shirts that fit me, and at one point my mum sent a bunch of shirts my grandad had got, worn a couple of times, and decided he didn't like. Not great, but they would do in a pinch. They absolutely stank of TCP, and no amount of washing would get rid of it. 

My grandad passed about 3 years ago, and last year I moved into their house; I can still smell TCP at random intervals in random spots, no matter how much incense we burn. If you'd asked me when I was living elsewhere 'what smell would remind you of your grandparents', I would definitely have said TCP without a moment's hesitation, and now I literally get the pleasure of that on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

How many people have talents that they never uncover where they would have had the natural ability to be one of the best in the world?

This came to me whilst watching the Queen's Gambit.  Considering it seems to be a game with a heavy emphasis on natural ability and instincts, how many potential chess world champions are there that have never even considered playing?  Doesn't apply to me unfortunately, I learned to play as a kid and was relatively meh.  

I should think that,that could apply to 85% of the population of the world.I mean, if you have never tried it how do you know if you are good /bad ?

15 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:
15 hours ago, Xela said:

About 25% of responses to tweets now are just the word 'ratio'

What the **** is that about? 

I had this problem the other day. Apparently it's something to do with a reply to a tweet getting more likes than the original.

It still 'kin annoyed me that I had to look it up.

I had it differently. I thought if the amount of responses to a tweet outnumbered the amount of likes it had, then it had been ratioed. 'Comments outnumbering likes' being a negative thing because it's always pointing out errors :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The missus got an insect bite on her arm yesterday, and dabbed a small drop of TCP on it. Nearly 24 hours later, the whole house still stinks of the stuff. 

Apparently banana is the most unmistakable smell in the world. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

My vote goes to this guy. 

JSGOFaX.jpg

That’s exactly what I had I mind as read down the thread. It’s rare that you can actually see an odour, but in this case it would overpower all of your senses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s exactly what I had I mind as read down the thread. It’s rare that you can actually see an odour, but in this case it would overpower all of your senses. 

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is there a genuinely more depressing High Street than the main road that runs through Brownhills? 

Yes. Erdington high street.

Ask bluenose Pete.

Mate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Stratford Road through Sparkbrook always depresses me. 

That's always busy and bustling... ok majority of people park like words removed, but there is life there. 

Brownhills... Erdington (my childhood home!), its just desperate. Boarded up shops, people hanging around... its like a sneak preview of some dystopian future hell that will effect us all in due course. 

Hugely depressing. There is a horrible side to life in some parts of the UK and these places are glimpses into this slightly frightening world. 

Edited by Xela

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Is there a genuinely more depressing High Street than the main road that runs through Brownhills? 

Walsall.

Just Walsall.

I worked there for 2 years. At times you could walk from one end of the town centre to the other and count the open shops on your fingers and have digits left over.

15 hours ago, Xela said:

I never been to Brownhills but having been to Lowestoft, I'm 99% the answer is yes.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Cradley Heath High Street says 'ah bist' too.

• Haha 1

Â