Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sorry busy day , but I’m sure you knew it was coming :)

Unless your name is Avril Lavigne or Tony Hawk , under no circumstances should you wear converse or vans 

Took your time but got there in the end. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I can find evidence that since 1986 I have been wearing band tshirt, jeans, vans/converse/docs. Its only the decreasing hairline, increasing waistline and band on the tshirt that would give the decade away. 

To be fair, when driving through some parts of Telford and the surrounding areas, its like going back to the 80s

• Haha 1

On 19/07/2021 at 21:20, AVFC_Hitz said:

I had this problem the other day. Apparently it's something to do with a reply to a tweet getting more likes than the original.

It still 'kin annoyed me that I had to look it up.

It can also be when a tweet has way more comments than "likes" and/or retweets

It's usually an indication that it's a shit tweet or opinion. Because a good tweet or opinion just gets liked or retweeted. A shit one everyone comments on it to tell them how shit it is.

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

And took someone from 1995 and plonked them into 2005 or 2015 or 2021 you would probably not give them a second glance, other than maybe think their clothes were a little baggy. 

Why has fashion spent almost 30 years in statis? 

Nah I disagree with this massively.

Well maybe not right now, but only because some 90's fashion is coming back in. Jeans are getting baggier, brands like Ellesse and Lacosse are back in etc.

But before that someone from the 90's would very much standout like a sore thumb in this day and age.

For example, here is a picture of the Man Utd players on a night out from 2005

4956228-0-image-a-71_1539266511198.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think what we have here is a classic example of old people giving it a good chorus of ‘well back in my day…’

My kids would be able to call out the various sub groups of today’s trends and fashions. Personally, I wouldn’t know if someone was in to drill or dressed for gramming, or ready for a weekend of line dancing and chemical toilets. But I trust the kids to be tweeking and subverting fashions well below the 50 year old’s radar.

I remember my parents attempting to buy me a blazer when I was in to all that. All I can say is, I can still spot the difference between Pub Landlord and Steve Marriott. My parents never could and never will.

100% this

VT always makes me laugh when a load of 40-50 year old blokes who probably go to the pub wearing walking shoes, combat trousers and a Karrimoor fleece mock younger people regarding their fashion (Bicks being one of the prime culprits :) )

Spoiler: it's not the young people who are dressed badly...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I used to think something like this, and then I briefly got into watching repeats of the Crystal Maze, and I don't think that any more. Obviously that's just the haircuts, but you wouldn't mistake 90s haircuts for today's at all. 

As above, 90's fashion is very much coming back in now so it's not a great comparison. Curtains are back. 5 years ago anyone sporting curtains would stand out.

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

100% this

VT always makes me laugh when a load of 40-50 year old blokes who probably go to the pub wearing walking shoes, combat trousers and a Karrimoor fleece mock younger people regarding their fashion (Bicks being one of the prime culprits :) )

I get it but nah.

anyone not wearing socks with loafers is a word removed and always will be. 

Not a personal dig at you either, but it's a shitty trend that hopefully dies out soon. 

There's loads of trends that look shit at the moment (there pretty much always has been), but anyone who were in their 20s in the 80s looked like a right dickhead. 

New Romantics to punk - all shit. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yeah, and acting like they even invented it

image.png.85a123bd6ad5d89a6daa2767b8d75365.png

Edited by sidcow

40 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I get it but nah.

Not a personal dig at you either, but it's a shitty trend that hopefully dies out soon. 

There's loads of trends that look shit at the moment (there pretty much always has been), but anyone who were in their 20s in the 80s looked like a right dickhead. 

New Romantics to punk - all shit. 

They look shit to you because you're an old word removed now. That's why everyone thinks it looks shit.

If you were young you'd be doing it.

This has happened since the beginning of time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They look shit to you because you're an old word removed now. That's why everyone thinks it looks shit.

If you were young you'd be doing it.

This has happened since the beginning of time

And the wonderful thing is that no matter how young and fashionable anyone thinks they are there will be a whole bunch of people younger than them who think they're massively out of touch. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

100% this

Except that had you bothered to read the conversation, it wasn't about any criticism of what people were wearing, it was a comment that fashion appears to have stood still for some time. (Well apart from the humourous point about pedal pushers)

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Except that had you bothered to read the conversation, it wasn't about any criticism of what people were wearing, it was a comment that fashion appears to have stood still for some time. (Well apart from the humourous point about pedal pushers)

I did read the conversation, hence my reply to it in the post above the one you’ve quoted. 

The post you’ve quoted was in response to a post that talked about old people criticising fashion. 

Don’t get your knickers in a twist, I only namedropped you because you’re the person who points out my lack of socks all the time 😊

On the fashion in different decades topic.  Many women who would otherwise have been incredibly hot weren't because of the shite 80s fashion and hair they were encumbered with during their best days.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

On the fashion in different decades topic.  Many women who would otherwise have been incredibly hot weren't because of the shite 80s fashion and hair they were encumbered with during their best days.

I think you could say this about people in general.

As in plenty of men and women could be very good looking if they were given the right "glow up" to use a modern phrase.

I remember there used to be a show called beauty and the geek. A reality show where they put a load of hot female models into a house with a load of geeky blokes and see if anyone hooked up. A bit like love island with a twist. It was shit, BUT there was an episode where the girls gave all the guys a make over. Bought them fashionable clothes and styled their hair, changed their glasses for contacts etc. Some of them were still ugly so sorry but thanks for playing. but some of them genuinely looked incredible in comparison to their normal style (or lack of). They just had no idea how to dress, or what haircut to have. Or they lacked the confidence to ever try different clothes or styles etc

Â