Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s definitely where I’m at.

States like Bolivia or Australia or Myanmar would just be reflecting relics of the that period of history. No way did the multiple indigenous peoples of South America all toot little songs to each other before the Spanish rocked up.

Same thing with flags, not many countries missed the memo on flags needing to be a landscape rectangle. They just conformed with the norm once the Europeans went round the place.

I’m always quite sad how unimaginative most flags are, so many are just three colour stripes on a rectangle. Jazz it up a bit folks.

Have to agree - 

Love these beauties from the Marshall Islands, Papa New Guinea and Kiribati 

F896A170-8442-465E-B2C6-EEE57E5922DA.png

C3F59598-6BD2-4C47-8063-064641C29D29.jpeg

3A1EE741-F717-4A50-90EC-D5A0FB0AA5B1.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

1_7mr-X-_9PnLWkZZ0lzZH6w.0.jpeg

Barbados were obviously heavily influenced by Schmidt, Czukay, Suzuki et al

I have that flag in the bag of flags somewhere. Barrybados.

We’ve recently had a cull one of the slightly less PC ones, somebody had added slitty eyes to the Chinese underpants flag, but that one is still there in the bag of flags.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Are there people who put a sock and shoe on before putting the second sock on? 

Right sock, left sock, right shoe, left shoe. 

I guess left handers can start with the left sock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ankle socks, yeah. And not ON the beach. When I’m leaving the beach. I hate sandals, flip flops of any kind. 

I’d rather wear slip on espadrilles type shoes. I’m more or less always barefoot when I’m on the beach itself. But when I leave (as in when I’m physically off the sand) I’ll put that sort of footwear back on, and I find it’s more comfortable if I wear ankle/invisible socks. 

I really, really can’t abide sandals or any footwear like that. Nothing to do with aesthetics, I’ve never once worn a pair I’ve found comfortable.

My general routine is wash feet under the tap at the bottom of the stairs to the beach (usually) bang birkenstocks and chuck 'em on the concrete, slip feet in and walk away any remaining sand usually dries and falls of my feet in a couple of minutes of walking

Socks and the beach hell no, you NEVER get rid of all the sand on your feet, you just end up with sand in your socks and that takes a few washes to fully get rid of it

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

My general routine is wash feet under the tap at the bottom of the stairs to the beach (usually) bang birkenstocks and chuck 'em on the concrete, slip feet in and walk away any remaining sand usually dries and falls of my feet in a couple of minutes of walking

Socks and the beach hell no, you NEVER get rid of all the sand on your feet, you just end up with sand in your socks and that takes a few washes to fully get rid of it

I can deal with a tiny amount of sand remaining on my feet (and therefore finding it’s way in my socks). I suppose I wouldn’t be wearing a “good” pair of socks for me to be bothered about. 

I never use the foot wash thing. I suspect partially because I don’t always see one, I’ve probably packed all my towels away and won’t be bothered to get the out again to dry off after, as I say not too fussed of a few grains of sand…

I suppose I’m not at a beach often enough to have developed a signature routine. My keeping my feet dry from a wet changing room floor by standing on a towel, sock, shoe, sock, shoe routine is far more established and well defined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s definitely where I’m at.

States like Bolivia or Australia or Myanmar would just be reflecting relics of the that period of history. No way did the multiple indigenous peoples of South America all toot little songs to each other before the Spanish rocked up.

Same thing with flags, not many countries missed the memo on flags needing to be a landscape rectangle. They just conformed with the norm once the Europeans went round the place.

I’m always quite sad how unimaginative most flags are, so many are just three colour stripes on a rectangle. Jazz it up a bit folks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I can deal with a tiny amount of sand remaining on my feet (and therefore finding it’s way in my socks). I suppose I wouldn’t be wearing a “good” pair of socks for me to be bothered about. 

I never use the foot wash thing. I suspect partially because I don’t always see one, I’ve probably packed all my towels away and won’t be bothered to get the out again to dry off after, as I say not too fussed of a few grains of sand…

I suppose I’m not at a beach often enough to have developed a signature routine. My keeping my feet dry from a wet changing room floor by standing on a towel, sock, shoe, sock, shoe routine is far more established and well defined.

People have good pairs of socks? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Peckham Wanderer said:

Of course! Diff socks for running, sleeping, work & casual (depends on the footwear) 😉

Holy F no, what kind of animal are you, sleeping in socks, what kind of fresh hell is this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/07/2021 at 13:24, bickster said:

It's fair comment in the context of the position. Wales is technically a principality not a country and the Ceremonial Head of State for the Principality is the Prince of Wales, Prince William will become that person as soon as his Gran dies, it really won't go down well if he's supporting England then

Technically Wales is no longer a principality anymore (since 2011 I believe). It's one of those things that changed from when I wuz at school to now. #pendant4tw

• Thanks 1

When I'm at the beach and ready to leave I put my socks and shoes on while still in the water.  That way I get no sand sticking to my feet or my socks. GIF by Identity

When I'm off the beach I remove them and put on my flip flops because that's what a normal person wears while out and about in the summertime.

Â