Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Bit misogynist, lads? :(

Yeah, it does read a bit like a scene from the Inbetweeners :blush:

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No wonder we have so few female contributors on VT.

In my defence I would comment on a bloke's sweaty balls as well. So I don't discriminate on gender :)

9 hours ago, BOF said:

In their defence, a mysoginist is prejudiced or has a hatred towards women in general.  I don't think commenting on Jo's lady garden quite puts them in that category :) 

The rule, as I understand it, is that you can call a woman a word removed but it is misogynistic to criticise a woman for having a word removed.

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Depends what you mean. There's IQ test intelligence, emotional intelligence, 'common sense', level of education, etc. 

Agree with this, I have graduate engineers and project managers come work along side me with various degree levels of education, but **** me for clever lads they can be a bit thick. 

If only they had done a course on common sense they would come out winners. 

Me… I left school at 15 with no qualifications, A big mistake in my life that was!.. 

Should of left at 14 :D

Edited by Kingman

13 hours ago, useless said:

Who thinks that they're intelligent. There's nothing wrong with thinking that your are. Do most people consider themselves to be intelligent. I don't think that I'm intelligent.

I used to think i was slightly above intelligence when i was at school/uni..but now that ive finished...ive noticed myself become more and more stupid over time. Its pretty worrying..I used to be able to think much quicker and logical. I hope i dont follow this decline over future years. Or hopefully i become so stupid im not aware of it anymore because its horrible feeling catching yourself out.

Edited by gharperr

I can tie my own shoe laces.  No more Velcro for me :D

My problem is I know a little about a lot (not about literature though, absolutely appalling at it), but scratch the surface and I know **** all.

My brain is good at remembering little snap facts, no longer than a sentence or two.  But if you ask me to actually explain something and the reasons behind it, I get bored and lose interest.  I can do it, I think that's basically what a degree is, but I don't like to do it, and won't until it's absolutely necessary.

So I guess I may be slightly better at articulating my thoughts than some people, but I am and always will be completely, slightly below average. C-

Edited by lapal_fan

I wondered why whenever I see eggs on TV or in Movies, and the setting is in America, they have a pure white shell. I even considered if the eggs where washed or something to make them appear cleaner and more appealing.

It seems dfferent breeds of chickens lay different coloured eggs, so I guess the chickens that lay most of the eggs in America lay ones with a pure white shell, and over here our chickens lay brown-ish eggs. They're not exclusive to either country though, I saw a pure white egg on a UK based cooking programme the other day.

Edited by hogso

16 minutes ago, hogso said:

I wondered why whenever I see eggs on TV or in Movies, and the setting is in America, they have a pure white shell. I even considered if the eggs where washed or something to make them appear cleaner and more appealing.

It seems dfferent breeds of chickens lay different coloured eggs, so I guess the chickens that lay most of the eggs in America lay ones with a pure white shell, and over here our chickens lay brown-ish eggs. They're not exclusive to either country though, I saw a pure white egg on a UK based cooking programme the other day.

There's more difference to American and British eggs than that too.  Unsurprisingly, there are chemicals involved in American egg preparation.

In America, the USDA requires that farmers clean eggs in water that is at least 90 degrees Fahrenheit, in order get rid of potentially harmful fecal matter. The eggs are then sprayed with a chemical sanitizer before being dried completely, so that there is no moisture left on them which might increase the risk of bacteria forming. Due to the cleaning process, eggs in America lose their natural thin outer layer, called the cuticle, which naturally protects them from contamination.

Which is also why American eggs need to be refrigerated, because they've had mother nature's natural protection removed from them chemically (can I get a 'hell yeah' for the FDA?), whereas British eggs should not be refrigerated.

34 minutes ago, hogso said:

I remember hearing that, generally, a chicken with white ear lobes will lay a white egg, brown lobes, brown eggs. Maybe  there's more white-lobed chickens in the states, perhaps Americans prefer the look of white eggs.

20 hours ago, useless said:

I just wondered how many people would be prepared admit to considering themselves 'intelligent'

I consider I'm reasonably intelligent. There are plenty, plenty more intelligent people than me, but yeah, reasonably so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gharperr said:

I used to think i was slightly above intelligence when i was at school/uni..but now that ive finished...ive noticed myself become more and more stupid over time. Its pretty worrying..I used to be able to think much quicker and logical. I hope i dont follow this decline over future years. Or hopefully i become so stupid im not aware of it anymore because its horrible feeling catching yourself out.

Education is a marvellous thing but while it may bring a certain faculty to acuity, it leaves the rest untouched.

So the educated might seem brilliant when that faculty is engaged, but seem as daft as the rest of us most of the time.

I know some electrical engineers who can read a circuit diagram, and instantly tell you what it does and where they see design issues, but the rest of the time it's like talking to Homer Simpson.

46 minutes ago, BOF said:

There's more difference to American and British eggs than that too.  Unsurprisingly, there are chemicals involved in American egg preparation.

In America, the USDA requires that farmers clean eggs in water that is at least 90 degrees Fahrenheit, in order get rid of potentially harmful fecal matter. The eggs are then sprayed with a chemical sanitizer before being dried completely, so that there is no moisture left on them which might increase the risk of bacteria forming. Due to the cleaning process, eggs in America lose their natural thin outer layer, called the cuticle, which naturally protects them from contamination.

Which is also why American eggs need to be refrigerated, because they've had mother nature's natural protection removed from them chemically (can I get a 'hell yeah' for the FDA?), whereas British eggs should not be refrigerated.

My eggs go in the fridge, and they have chicken poop on them sometimes

Â