Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Just now, limpid said:

From all your quizzing, I'm sure your aware of several times laws have been passed to prevent something being done, which has never been done or is even impossible. (And I don't mean blasphemy.)

That's true. It would be interesting to know though. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

That's true. It would be interesting to know though. 

Can't believe I used the wrong "your" there. I'm blaming my phone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Is it possible to post yourself somewhere.

The man who posted himself to Australia

In the mid-1960s, Australian athlete Reg Spiers found himself stranded in London with no money to buy a plane ticket home. Desperate to get back to Australia in time for his daughter's birthday, he decided to post himself in a wooden crate.

"I just got in the thing and went. What was there to be frightened of? I'm not frightened of the dark so I just sat there.

"It's like when I travel now if I go overseas. There's the seat. Sit in it, and go."

Reg Spiers makes it sound very straightforward more than half a century later, but it caused a media storm in Australia at the time.

...more on link

I just remembered hearing a while back now, that it was technically an option to post yourself, if you wanted to go somewhere. You'd just go to the post office, tell them where you wanted to be delivered and they'd sit you with the rest mail on it's way to that destination (you wouldn't actually have to sit in a postbox and wait for someone to pick you up).

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I just remembered hearing a while back now, that it was technically an option to post yourself, if you wanted to go somewhere. You'd just go to the post office, tell them where you wanted to be delivered and they'd sit you with the rest mail on it's way to that destination (you wouldn't actually have to sit in a postbox and wait for someone to pick you up).

Really?

Kinda ruined it for me now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Didn't read the link, but... in an unheated, unpressurised aircraft baggage compartment? Or on a ship, taking weeks? 

Air freight, according to the article.

Edit: and COD.

Edited by snowychap

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't make the rules.

I truly wish you did. The world would be a better place. 

• Like 1

I was thinking earlier today, and wondering why we wait for people to die, to say how we really feel about them? I was reading a post from a facebook friend, and in it he was talking about someone he knew who had died, and saying such nice and warm things about him. It made me wonder if he'd ever said what he thought about him, to him when he was alive? I tried to think back to when I've been in similar circumstances, and if I ever told those people what I thought about them. I can't recall ever doing so. Maybe it's part of the grieving process. Maybe it's therapeutic for the bereaved, to say it after they've died. I suppose it would be a bit weird if your mate came up and told you what they liked about you, even more so if they posted it on a public forum or social media.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

What would happen if they lost the parcel you were in?

Seems to recall someone did it in the USA a few years back and was charged under people trafficking ?

but I may have dreamt this charge probably more likely charged with terrorism knowing the US !!

I've typed a wide variety of profanity during my time here but I'm almost certain I've never managed to trigger the 'clearing in the woods' filter. Think it will remain one of life's mysteries.

46 minutes ago, V01 said:

clearing in the woods

When I first joined this site, I thought I'd stumbled on some cult-like saying that I'd never seen before. Even had me searching Urban Dictionary. It took a while before I realised it was the filter. It was a relief though to find I'm not completely out of touch with the kids. 

• Like 1

Â