dudevillaisnice

I'm just thinking who has moved stadiums in recent years and if it's worked out.   

Leicester: yes

Brighton: yes

Southampton: probably? 

West Ham: were given the stadium for free like Man City, but probably 

Coventry City: lol

Spurs and Arsenal it's too soon to tell. I know Arsenal have been there for fifteen years now but there was no guarantee their decline is tied to the stadium any more than it brought about by the ride of Chelsea and Manchester City, and other clubs copying the methods that gave Wenger such an advantage in the early years.

39 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I'm just thinking who has moved stadiums in recent years and if it's worked out.   

Spurs and Arsenal it's too soon to tell. I know Arsenal have been there for fifteen years now but there was no guarantee their decline is tied to the stadium any more than it brought about by the ride of Chelsea and Manchester City, and other clubs copying the methods that gave Wenger such an advantage in the early years.  

I mean Brightons couldn’t get any worse, they were playing in a tiny make shift athletics ground, any stadium they could call their own was going to work out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Go back a further few years from Southampton’s move and I’m sure a case could be made for Sunderland’s move away from Roker Park ultimately leading to a successful Netflix series.

And in the same year as that move, Bolton heading over to the Reebok. I’d have to check but I think it’s been plain sailing for them ever since…🤔

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

And in the same year as that move, Bolton heading over to the Reebok. I’d have to check but I think it’s been plain sailing for them ever since…🤔

It's the "The University of Bolton Stadium" these days, in what is probably up there as one of the greatest demonstrations of tuition fees being pissed up the wall on worthless vanity exercises.

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

On the other hand it worked out pretty well for Manchester City. 

They moved there in 2003 and their league finishes up to the takeover were 16th, 8th, 15th, 14th and 9th although of course having the stadium pretty much did push Abu Dhabi towards them compared to a few other clubs given they've redeveloped the whole area around it, just didn't create an instant impact.

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Leicester moved to new ground 2002 I think and were relegated to league on in 2008. Got back into prem in 2014. Obviously great since but wouldn't say the new ground has had much to do with it as they were playing in europe and winning league cups in 90s playing at Filbert Street.

Probably loads of West Ham fans who'd rather still be at Upton Park but obviously the team they have currently makes any protest look ridiculous. Guess it's a case would you sign up to be 4th in league if we played in 60k stadium by the NEC and the pros and cons of that.

Southampton similar to Leicester. Moved to new ground, got relegated from prem a few years later and were then in league one for a couple of years.

Brighton certainly but they were ground sharing at Gillingham and then played in that Athletics hole but certainly moving to Falmer was needed to give them a real boost. Could say same for teams like Swansea and Hull who were lower tier sides for decades and with new ground got into the prem pretty quickly so think it works better for smaller teams than top end ones when moving grounds.

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I know Arsenal have been there for fifteen years now but there was no guarantee their decline is tied to the stadium any more than it brought about by the ride of Chelsea and Manchester City, and other clubs copying the methods that gave Wenger such an advantage in the early years.  

I'd more put it down to 2018, Wenger left and kroenke bought out usmanov, their decline under Wenger coincides with kroenke buying more and more of them too

He's Randy Lerner but unfortunately they're not Aston Villa

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd more put it down to 2018, Wenger left and kroenke bought out usmanov, their decline under Wenger coincides with kroenke buying more and more of them too

He's Randy Lerner but unfortunately they're not Aston Villa

Always thought David Dein leaving Arsenal around 2007-08 was when it went wrong. Massive supporter of Wenger and actually had the drive in boardroom for Arsenal to win stuff. After he left Arsenal drifted to just being content to finish top 4 (exactly what Man. United are now) and then in last Wenger seasons they weren't even doing that.

• Like 1

Everton won’t be relegated.

However, they could do with making sure they’re at the circa 35 point mark after 30 games, because…ooooof.

(West Ham, Man Utd and Palace are the three games beforehand the tweet preview doesn’t quite display).

• Haha 1

On 04/12/2021 at 20:42, Genie said:

That was financed slightly differently to Arsenal and Spurs stadia.

Most of it was already been built for the commonwealth games. I think city just removed the track and puts seats in in the lower tier and built the stands behind the goals.

Looks like Brands is gone at Everton paying the price for poor recruitment. 

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Most of it was already been built for the commonwealth games. I think city just removed the track and puts seats in in the lower tier and built the stands behind the goals.

Looks like Brands is gone at Everton paying the price for poor recruitment. 

Yeah, this is what I meant. Spurs and Arsenal have to raise hundreds of millions to pay for a stadium at the cost of investing in the squad but City didn’t have to go through the pain of that as they were given majority of it free.

Not only did they have unlimited funds before FFP was really a hindrance, they also got a free stadium. 

Edited by Genie

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, this is what I meant. Spurs and Arsenal have to raise hundreds of millions to pay for a stadium at the cost of investing in the squad but City didn’t have to go through the pain of that as they were given majority of it free.

Not only did they have unlimited funds before FFP was really a hindrance, they also got a free stadium. 

Same with West Ham.

You do wonder if Birmingham have done it right with Alexander Stadium just going back to a 20,000 track and field stadium.  I am aware that might have meant Blues getting a  new ground.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Everton won’t be relegated.

However, they could do with making sure they’re at the circa 35 point mark after 30 games, because…ooooof.

(West Ham, Man Utd and Palace are the three games beforehand the tweet preview doesn’t quite display).

Ouch, they could be in trouble

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sporting director has quit

Planned walkout at 27 minutes tonight 

Jeez at least we kind of got our moneys worth (in generally seeing players score against us) by walking out on 74.

Â