dudevillaisnice

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It'll be a good game on Saturday to see where we are. I would expect us to be on par with Everton at least.

Yeah and me, this is the first game with a team in our 12th to 7th mini league and at home

All the stuff before where its playing a promoted team away first game, playing the CL winners, injuries, new signings etc etc 5 games in that's got to come to an end 

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah and me, this is the first game with a team in our 12th to 7th mini league and at home

All the stuff before where its playing a promoted team away first game, playing the CL winners, injuries, new signings etc etc 5 games in that's got to come to an end 

Agreed.

We have a full strength squad, at home, against a team we need to finish above or on par with if we want to "improve". No excuses, let's see what happens and where we are. 

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine if we signed those 2 as our main signings this summer, this place would go into meltdown.

It's still early days and Gray/Townsend might proove to be flash in a pan, but it's just another example that you don't have to spend big, you have to spend smart.

You would expect that chances of a signing being success increase with the amount spent, but it doesn't alway turn out like that.

Following on from crazy summer 2019, i generalise our recruitment strategy as being very safe. High fees paid for relative known quality (either played for the manager before, or played in the division, or well known and scouted around Europe players ).

Not many risks are being taken. You can see it as a positive and as a negative, I haven't made my mind up yet.

30 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

It's still early days and Gray/Townsend might proove to be flash in a pan, but it's just another example that you don't have to spend big, you have to spend smart.

You would expect that chances of a signing being success increase with the amount spent, but it doesn't alway turn out like that.

Following on from crazy summer 2019, i generalise our recruitment strategy as being very safe. High fees paid for relative known quality (either played for the manager before, or played in the division, or well known and scouted around Europe players ).

Not many risks are being taken. You can see it as a positive and as a negative, I haven't made my mind up yet.

I think Everton were a team in need of an unspectacular window. They spent big last the few seasons and got zero in return and seemed to try too many quick fixes

• Like 1

Just a thought from the last match…

Why did Everton not fill their subs bench and left 1 space free?  Even if they had injuries and didn’t have enough first team players, they could have put a youth player in that empty spot?   That’s what Villa or most other teams would have done??

Do Everton not have any decent youth players to fill the bench?

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Why did Everton not fill their subs bench and left 1 space free?  Even if they had injuries and didn’t have enough first team players, they could have put a youth player in that empty spot?   That’s what Villa or most other teams would have done??

They had James Rodriguez available but are in dispute with him, leaving him out with a space free on the bench was sending a message to him.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

They had James Rodriguez available but are in dispute with him, leaving him out with a space free on the bench was sending a message to him.

The message being "you have to do even less for your £250,000 a week than you thought".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really 'get' this situation with James Rodriguez. If he's just making himself unavailable for games with no medical justification, is there not some legal remedy open to the club?

Difficult for them to prove there 100% isn't something wrong with him if he says there is. Even if a Dr says he's fit, he can say he's not and that they just didn't find something. There's an interesting story along those lines with Michael Owen refusing to play (possibly against us?) when at Newcastle (in the Boy on the Shed autobiography) and they were facing relegated. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

Wasn't it just they lost Pickford on morning of the game so had one less player travelling? Perhaps they were going to name two keepers on the bench which a few prem teams have done since they went to 9 subs so wasn't worth bothering bringing another keeper down the M6.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't it just they lost Pickford on morning of the game so had one less player travelling? Perhaps they were going to name two keepers on the bench which a few prem teams have done since they went to 9 subs so wasn't worth bothering bringing another keeper down the M6.

Literally no point bringing a player who he's not going to bring on anyway. 

Everton fans were moaning on Talksport he never brought on this young striker they have who was banging in goals for Blackpool last season. 

If he'd rather play Andre Gomes up front then play an academy player, there's no point in them wasting the journey. 

Edited by pas5898

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Literally no point bringing a player who he's not going to bring on anyway. 

Everton fans were moaning on Talksport he never brought on this young striker they have who was banging in goals for Blackpool last season. 

If he'd rather play Andre Gomes up front then play an academy player, there's no point in them wasting the journey. 

I disagree.  It's good to have some up-and-coming youth on the bench if there is space - makes them feel like they are progressing into the main squad and they learn from that experience.

• Like 4

Â