dudevillaisnice

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Last week of season ticket renewals?

Hi, I'm a visiting Everton fan. Always had a soft spot for Villa, hope you guys get promoted next season as the Premier League needs a club of your stature & history back in the top flight.

Just on what you posted, normally that would be perfectly reasonable scepticism to have, however it is unfounded in this case. The club has just announced record season ticket sales for next season of nearly 31000 - http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/06/02/record-season-ticket-sales , more than we had at the same stage after Martinez first season when we finished 5th. This is after 2 terrible seasons of underachievement, with no manager (or more likely, the sales are because the manager went!) and all the usual transfer speculation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Koeman only has to wait out one more season and he probably has the Arsenal job instead of taking a backward step to Everton 

mind you with his experience of watching all the good players leave a club he's probably the perfect choice for Everton right about now

We've actually only sold one 'star player' in the last 5 years, and that was Fellaini for an exorbitant fee to Utd, and the vast majority of EFC fans were happy to see him go as it improved the team and the football we played. We rejected 3 bids from Chelsea for John Stones and turned down his transfer request, holding him to his contract, so the notion that we sell our best players is quite outdated. Obviously it appears this will be tested again this summer, but we'll soon see. Especially in terms of what we spend if we do sell.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Who by ? a 12 year old kid on his computer ... Even if you had that sort of money who are you going to buy ?  

Local press and numerous national media journalists have frequently suggested the £100m-£150m figure.

The guy who has bought us, Farhad Moshiri, is a fiercely ambitious billionaire who Arsenal would not let on to their board due to Kroenke's stranglehold on the club, so he sold his shares and bought us instead. Every noise coming out of the club thus far seems to suggest he means business - he was the one who sacked Martinez, not Kenwright.

Edited by Dixie
  • Like 3

Dixie you'll probably learn that a fair few villa fans, myself included, feel the same about Everton, there's a lot of parallels between our 2 clubs and despite what some of our rivals claim about us being deluded etc and expecting / demanding CL most see Everton as a barometer for the club, we should be able to achieve the same kind of level as you guys

That said...you're showing all the signs of what we've been through, your next manager appointment is huge, keeping hold of or replacing your star players is huge, even getting some of these star players to actually start performing again is a massive task for someone, you're at that crossroad, we royally **** it up and spent 5 years suffering a painful slow death, this new guy with all his money and good intentions doesn't mean he makes good decisions, I also think the league is far far harder then what it was when we kept finishing 6th, Everton are way off top 6 at the moment, £150m could be the price of you finishing 9th next season, how many of your big names (and fans) will accept that?

31 minutes ago, Dixie said:

We've actually only sold one 'star player' in the last 5 years, and that was Fellaini for an exorbitant fee to Utd, and the vast majority of EFC fans were happy to see him go as it improved the team and the football we played. We rejected 3 bids from Chelsea for John Stones and turned down his transfer request, holding him to his contract, so the notion that we sell our best players is quite outdated. Obviously it appears this will be tested again this summer, but we'll soon see. Especially in terms of what we spend if we do sell.

Local press and numerous national media journalists have frequently suggested the £100m-£150m figure.

The guy who has bought us, Farhad Moshiri, is a fiercely ambitious billionaire who Arsenal would not let on to their board due to Kroenke's stranglehold on the club, so he sold his shares and bought us instead. Every noise coming out of the club thus far seems to suggest he means business - he was the one who sacked Martinez, not Kenwright.

Rodwell , Arteta , Rooney you can put any sort of timeline on it but your like the rest of us in that ultimately you'll always be a feeder club in just the same way Arsenal are Man City's feeder club ... Lukaku was a great buy for you and you'll make a lot of money on him and good luck to you , we've done the same over the years with Milner , Young , Downing , Benteke .. That's modern football sadly  

your missing the point re the £150m ... The question was who are you going to get , who is going to realistically pick Everton  over Arsenal , City , Chelsea or even Spurs ? So that leaves you paying over inflated prices for someone like Townsend for £20m and I don't really see you buying 7 or 8 £20m players in the window on top of the Lukaku and stones £60+m that AG also claimed you'd spend ...  Rich or not your new owner is never going to spend £150 to £200m in one window you just won't attract the players you'd need to spend that amount 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dixie you'll probably learn that a fair few villa fans, myself included, feel the same about Everton, there's a lot of parallels between our 2 clubs and despite what some of our rivals claim about us being deluded etc and expecting / demanding CL most see Everton as a barometer for the club, we should be able to achieve the same kind of level as you guys

That said...you're showing all the signs of what we've been through, your next manager appointment is huge, keeping hold of or replacing your star players is huge, even getting some of these star players to actually start performing again is a massive task for someone, you're at that crossroad, we royally **** it up and spent 5 years suffering a painful slow death, this new guy with all his money and good intentions doesn't mean he makes good decisions, I also think the league is far far harder then what it was when we kept finishing 6th, Everton are way off top 6 at the moment, £150m could be the price of you finishing 9th next season, how many of your big names (and fans) will accept that?

I appreciate your comments. As an outsider looking in, Villa's problems - and please correct me if I'm wrong here - stemmed from Lerner not supporting O'Neill's decent work on getting you top 6 a couple of times, resulting in a fire sale of your best players, not replacing them adequately, and then making a series of disastrous managerial appointments, each being worse than the one before them. 

Now Everton aren't perfect by any means, but we do have a very good infrastructure at the club. Martinez first season was very good. His 2nd not so good, as it all fell apart around Christmas 2014 for him and he never recovered from that. His main problem was a total inability to organise a defence, Attacking and midfield wise, all the stats showed we were top 4 calibre. Defensively we were bottom 6 at best. This season just gone was the same story - the sheer amount of games that we threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 15 minutes of games to either draw or lose was astonishing - if we'd held on for the win in just half of them, we'd have finished in the top 8, above Liverpool. That's ultimately why Martinez was sacked - gross mismanagement to the point of the players - many of them solid pros (not foreign mercenaries by any means) - had had enough of him and his ridiculous methods & tactics. As did the fans, as shown by the protests at games.

I'm fully aware money is no guarantee of anything, but after 20 years of being paupers and a culture being built up in the media of the club being a feeder club to so called bigger clubs, I'm very optimistic about the future. Of course, everything hinges on the RIGHT decisions being made, but you could say that about everything. You could extend that to Villa - will Di Matteo being the right man? Will Dr Tony Xia be the right buyer and not another Carson Yeung (hope for your sake he isn't!).

I actually think the league is as wide open as it has been in many years, and is ripe for another club to join those battling in the top, as Leicester and Spurs showed this past season. With the right investment and plan, anything is possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Rodwell , Arteta , Rooney you can put any sort of timeline on it but your like the rest of us in that ultimately you'll always be a feeder club in just the same way Arsenal are Man City's feeder club ... Lukaku was a great buy for you and you'll make a lot of money on him and good luck to you , we've done the same over the years with Milner , Young , Downing , Benteke .. That's modern football sadly  

your missing the point re the £150m ... The question was who are you going to get , who is going to realistically pick Everton  over Arsenal , City , Chelsea or even Spurs ? So that leaves you paying over inflated prices for someone like Townsend for £20m and I don't really see you buying 7 or 8 £20m players in the window on top of the Lukaku and stones £60+m that AG also claimed you'd spend ...  Rich or not your new owner is never going to spend £150 to £200m in one window you just won't attract the players you'd need to spend that amount 

All the players you named were sold under a different (financially poorer) regime. The culture at the club is changing. It was already on the way there with bids being rejected for Stones and him being held to his contract, but with the new owner in place, things are apparently going to be different.

Of course, none of us have a crystal ball. What we do know is that money talks in football. Smart recruitment will play a key part. I don't think we'll spend £150m in one window either, but I'd imagine we'll bring in 8-10 new players, simply because a lot of older players and fringe players are out of contract and will likely be leaving.

The squad itself is nowhere near as bad as some make out. We really should have finished in the top 8 at least this past season and the reason we didn't was solely down to the manager and his tactics. A few key additions in several starting positions (goalkeeper, centre half and striker) are needed. Stones is a good player with tons of potential, but he makes a lot of mistakes. There were times last season when he wasn't in the side and we looked far better defensively. If he goes it will be sad, but it genuinely wouldn't be that big of a loss, especially based on several of the young defenders coming through at the club who have already made their debuts.

It's an uncertain time, but also an exciting time. There is definitely no feeling amongst EFC fans that we're on some sort of downward slide. The feeling is we've underachieved greatly the last 2 years, after being a top 7 club for the previous decade, and that changes will be made to rectify this this summer. 

Edited by Dixie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dixie said:

I appreciate your comments. As an outsider looking in, Villa's problems - and please correct me if I'm wrong here - stemmed from Lerner not supporting O'Neill's decent work on getting you top 6 a couple of times, resulting in a fire sale of your best players, not replacing them adequately, and then making a series of disastrous managerial appointments, each being worse than the one before them. 

I would say the opposite. The issues were mostly due to him trusting MON too much. He supported MON financially, but he was spending unsustainable wages on players he simply was not playing. I don't think Lerner really pretended to know about the footballing side of things, which is why he signed cheques for the manager he trusted. Beyond that, you're right. We had to sell some players, didn't replace them with enough quality and the managerial appointments have been poor.

• Like 2

Everton are a bigger club than Southampton no question, but like I said earlier I think he can get a bigger job if he waits abit longer. But I think he is probably thinking in his head he wont be able to sustain what he has achieved for last few years at saints anymore and feels his reputation could take a hit. Everton finished 11th so he is probably thinking if finishes top 7 it would be a success.

Surprised Koeman is going there.

Southampton ended last season brilliantly. It was one of those scenarios that if the season was even 2 games longer they'd have probably made top 4 given how they ended.

I know Southampton will always sell key players but surely Everton will aswell. Lukaku is already sounding off so I'd suggest he will go if he has a good euros.

When you think Everton  have been about 10 points clear of relegation zone last two seasons and you take away his 20 goals a season (many of which were winners) things look a little dodgy if you buy a Gestede style replacement for him.

Interesting times at Everton. I said before they're at a crossroads similar to us in summer 2011. We'd have three top 6 finishes and even the season MON walked out we still somehow finished 9th. We lost Downing and Young that summer and appointed McLeish and the downward spiral accelerated sharply. Of course Koeman is a major upgrade.

It's a good point on money for Everton. They've always struck me as a club that's better signing unheralded cheap players while promotion a few from youth team. Their best signings in last 10 years have been Lescott,Coleman Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Arteta, McCarthy and Lukaku. Only the latter two cost over 10m I think.

150m to spend could mean another 10 Omar Naisse's turning up....:lol:

Edited by VillaChris

9 hours ago, Dixie said:

All the players you named were sold under a different (financially poorer) regime. The culture at the club is changing. It was already on the way there with bids being rejected for Stones and him being held to his contract, but with the new owner in place, things are apparently going to be different.

Of course, none of us have a crystal ball. What we do know is that money talks in football. Smart recruitment will play a key part. I don't think we'll spend £150m in one window either, but I'd imagine we'll bring in 8-10 new players, simply because a lot of older players and fringe players are out of contract and will likely be leaving.

The squad itself is nowhere near as bad as some make out. We really should have finished in the top 8 at least this past season and the reason we didn't was solely down to the manager and his tactics. A few key additions in several starting positions (goalkeeper, centre half and striker) are needed. Stones is a good player with tons of potential, but he makes a lot of mistakes. There were times last season when he wasn't in the side and we looked far better defensively. If he goes it will be sad, but it genuinely wouldn't be that big of a loss, especially based on several of the young defenders coming through at the club who have already made their debuts.

It's an uncertain time, but also an exciting time. There is definitely no feeling amongst EFC fans that we're on some sort of downward slide. The feeling is we've underachieved greatly the last 2 years, after being a top 7 club for the previous decade, and that changes will be made to rectify this this summer. 

Well if you need an example of what happens when you don't replace your top scorer then you've come to the right forum... Replacing Lukaku is key for your aspirations next season 

i think I am in this thread a few dozen pages back saying with your squad you'd under  achieved and Martinez should go ... Don't think it was well received by our resident Everton fan at the time :) 

koeman will be an interesting one , I was in the saints corporate  area when we played them at their place , they'd been spanked  6-1 by the best club in Liverpool in the cup midweek  and were on a bit of a poor run .... Majority of fans around me were after his blood and wanted him gone ..... They then went on a run that made them the highest points getters in 2016 ( I think ) .... Shows he has it in him to turn things around , unlike the last few managers we've had  !!

Koeman is a hot and cold manager, his teams can hit hot streaks and his teams can also go on poor runs of form over time, like a more accomplished Pardew. as a coach he seems very good, as an Ireland fan look at Shane Long in form of his life and more consistent in last year or so and would put that down to working with Koeman

at least his man management has seemed to improve since his Valencia days ;)

really hope everton do well but i can't help feeling it's 1 year to late for the investment.city,united and chelsea i feel will spend big this summer so i feel there's 1 champions league space open as arsenal look the most vulnerable.if they'd have had the money this time last year with the right manager then who knows.

1 hour ago, krisagg75 said:

really hope everton do well but i can't help feeling it's 1 year to late for the investment.city,united and chelsea i feel will spend big this summer so i feel there's 1 champions league space open as arsenal look the most vulnerable.if they'd have had the money this time last year with the right manager then who knows.

Completely agreed.

Chelsea and United having awful seasons will mean they will spend heavy to get back in to the CL. City will obviously back Pep, Liverpool will likely do the same to get Klopp his players. Spurs have been sensible in the transfer market for a while and will be around the top 4 again. Who knows how Leicester will fare. Arsenal should be up there again.

• Like 1

On 2 June 2016 at 20:27, tonyh29 said:

Who by ? a 12 year old kid on his computer ... Even if you had that sort of money who are you going to buy ?  

Local press/reliable journalists on Everton information.

Moshiri wants to invest heavily in the club and has promised to do so. The reason he left Arsenal (and the reason Usmanov is considering leaving too) is that they wanted to invest money and build but Stan Kroenke wouldn't allow it. 

Besides, that isn't *that* much now considering the new tv money etc.

We've already topped our record season ticket sales too so....

Â