Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I don't think his attitude on the pitch helps. He had one gear. He doesn't appear to have many friends in the squad. There was the way he left Sunderland which now seems a little bitter. There was the Christmas shopping incident. His comments post West Brom were a little unsavoury although we were all guilty of brushing over them at the time. Lambert stripping him of the captaincy suggested something was amiss and the managers recent comments however thinly veiled do the same.

Ultimately for me, I just don't trust him on and off the pitch. I don't like how certain sections of the media and the fan base are making out as though he's bigger than the club, more news worthy than what we're working towards long term. It's a personal thing I guess.

I'm still open to being proved wrong.

He doesnt appear to have many friends in the squad? Can you elaborate on this?

I dont hold Bent in as high a regard as I used to, but all I will say to those who want him out, be careful what you wish for.

First off Bent does not score 25 goals season upon season, lets put that myth to bed once and for all. Go look them up if you need to.

Second of all the assumption Benteke will "only" score 12-14. I'd put money on him scoring more, fitness permitting. Yes he has missed a few sitters so far, he's still very raw. But I'm convinced they'll start coming in droves, he's clearly incredibly skilful as well as being an absolute **** beast. As a footballer he offers an immeasurable amount more than Bent.

Yes, there is the possibility that the two could play well together. I've yet to see it so I have no idea but of course I'm open to the suggestion. That would mean changing the way we play almost entirely.

Darren Bent is NOT bigger than the manager. Darren Bent is NOT bigger than Aston Villa football club. It's comments like those that has me wonder where the soul of football has gotten to.

Paul Lambert MUST be allowed to shape this team and its squad however he sees fit. If that includes flogging the goal scoring donkey them so be it.

Top post, young sir.

He doesnt appear to have many friends in the squad? Can you elaborate on this?

I dont hold Bent in as high a regard as I used to, but all I will say to those who want him out, be careful what you wish for.

All I have to go on is what I see on the pitch, he seems a lot less involved than others. It's rather Baros-esq if you catch my drift.

I don't understand the second point. It's fairly clear wherever he goes he'll score 20 or so a season and offer absolutely **** all else. We'll do whatever we do. Hindsight has no place in football.

If you are sick of hearing about Bent, dont click on the topic called Darren Bent. He is the clubs record buy and appears to of had an altercation with lambert, so it is pretty obvious there is going to be interest from posters on villatalk.

I'm not talking about this thread, general media seem obsessed, christ knows how many questions Lambert had to answer about him last night, In one Pat Murphy interview he was asked about 5 times in the space of 3 minutes, with little mention about the positive result and Benteke's impact at Villa.

All I have to go on is what I see on the pitch, he seems a lot less involved than others. It's rather Baros-esq if you catch my drift.

I don't understand the second point. It's fairly clear wherever he goes he'll score 20 or so a season and offer absolutely **** all else. We'll do whatever we do. Hindsight has no place in football.

odd really, his job is to score goals and you are bemoaning that he will score goals, doing exactly what he is paid to do?

would you prefer heskey back again? he did everything else but score goals, he won headers when there was no need to, he helped in the defence, he dropped back to midfield, he was well liked in the dressing room and had a good team spirit and did it all for the team.. but wait, he didnt score many goals?

odd really, his job is to score goals and you are bemoaning that he will score goals, doing exactly what he is paid to do?

would you prefer heskey back again? he did everything else but score goals, he won headers when there was no need to, he helped in the defence, he dropped back to midfield, he was well liked in the dressing room and had a good team spirit and did it all for the team.. but wait, he didnt score many goals?

Am I bemoaning or making a statement?

There is a HUGE abyss between Bent and Heskey filled with lots and lots of strikers who are able to mix the two and are better than both. We've already one of them on the books in my opinion.

Do you think that Bent isnt being played due to a clause in his contract that will see his addons and bonuses kick in after a certain amount of games? Particularly if we are going to sell him in January? Just a theory.

If there was a clause in his contract then we would have sold him in the Summer not played him for a few more matches then dropped him to stop the clause happening.

No I think in the summer Lambert would have wanted to see him in the side. If he has decided Bend doesn't fit his system then I could see him leaving him out and bring him on as an impact sub off the bench but to not include him in the match day squad at all would suggest something else is happening.

The three most likely scenarios I can see are

a) a personality clash leading him to not consider our record signing at all

b ) a club has agreed a transfer in January and so we are wrapping him in cotton wool until then

c) we have to pay Sunderland a sizeable chunk of money if he plays more often he is dropped completely until a buyer can be found.

(it may even be a combination of all three!)

No I think in the summer Lambert would have wanted to see him in the side. If he has decided Bend doesn't fit his system then I could see him leaving him out and bring him on as an impact sub off the bench but to not include him in the match day squad at all would suggest something else is happening.

The three most likely scenarios I can see are

a) a personality clash leading him to not consider our record signing at all

b ) a club has agreed a transfer in January and so we are wrapping him in cotton wool until then

c) we have to pay Sunderland a sizeable chunk of money if he plays more often he is dropped completely until a buyer can be found.

(it may even be a combination of all three!)

I don't think Bent would be having such a strop if he had already agreed to move somewhere else. It's not like there's any England games he's desperate to get before January. Also if the deal was done and dusted couldn't they announce it?

I reckon it's C.

I don't believe Lambert. I don't know if anyone does. Either he has a problem with Bent's attitude (but even then surely he'd be on the bench, unless Bent is causing really serious problems in the dressing room, like taking the scissors to the socks at half time), Bent has some sort of appearance milestone approaching, or Bent has a major problem with Benteke having a similar name to him. Still the party line is persevered with despite the incredulity of everyone and although I would like to see Benteke and Bent up front together, for a half of football, it just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Unless Lambert is treating Bent like a fighter dog. Teasing him and prodding him, so he'll be absolutely vicious and loaded with energy when he does include him. Or else Lambert isn't entirely sure that Bent's ankle ever recovered and doesn't want to risk playing him in case he injures it again and potential buyers realise he's for the knacker's yard. Selling a headless bird isn't easy, unless the buyer is blind.

If its to do with money then that seems pretty poor. If he can assist in us staying in the league is it not worth it?

Lambert is really putting the pressure on himself by not even selecting him for the bench. If we win, great but if we lose the media will be all over the fact a fit Darren Bent isn't in the squad.

Clearly he's off and it's a shame but we might as well put that money to someone lambert wants to play. For years we've cried out for a Darren Bent type player and once we got him we destroyed the team that would get the best from him.

I don't know why we don't admit he's going to be sold in January. It's not like other teams really think we rate him and want to keep him.

I find the 50 appearances theory a little weak. When you spend 24MM you would expect Bent to be first name on the teamsheet, and 50 appearances is about two seasons, maybe less. It would seem to be a silly clause to have, something that would almost certainly be met.

I don't feel like it is about money. Bent is under contract, so we are on the hook to pay him at this point, and any transfer will be decent money, but not what we paid for him so it isn't like we are making a ton of money on the transfer. Like Big John said, whether you agree or not with Lambert's choices, we might as well use the money to buy someone that he will play.

I was so happy when we got Bent, and love when he scores for us, but it has been a long time since I felt he was certainly going to score when he was in the side, and his goals seemed to pop up out of nowhere after anonymous performances, and not nearly often enough. Yes, service and tactics play a part, but it really seemed that if he wasn't heavily involved early in the match he would never even touch the ball.

If he goes, best of luck to him. If he stays, well there will be times I am sure we could use him. Should be an interesting soap opera for the next two months (personally believe we have a striker replacement lined up already).

Lambert under pressure here:

http://goo.gl/IYVG2

Unless Bent goes on strike and goes running to the press we're going to be non the wiser until January. The reporter asked all relevant questions which were on the whole deflected by Lambert and will continue to be. A bit like the MON situation where we will all have to wait for someone's memoir's to be published before we know the truth.

In my humble opinion there has been words between the manager and player but both have agreed a truce. No rocking of the boat untill January when the club gets 10m-12m and the player gets his transfer.

I suppose the only other way we would find out if it's a personality clash between player and manager is if Benteke picks up an injury. If Lambert still doesn't include Bent in the team then we have got our answer.

Lambert has got to be diplomatic as if he sets out a posituion that we don't want him and he is not going to play we would be lucky to get £5m for him in January

But surely we're not fooling any other manager or chief exec into thinking we want to keep him.

Surely everyone can see he's not wanted, so I don't see how our position could be weaker by publicly admitting it.

I don't think Bent would be having such a strop if he had already agreed to move somewhere else. It's not like there's any England games he's desperate to get before January. Also if the deal was done and dusted couldn't they announce it?

I reckon it's C.

When has he had a strop?

Â