Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

This issue is completely bizarre in every sense of the word and I think Paul Lambert is handling it really, really badly.

If they have had a massive bust-up, surely you would still put a proven goalscorer like Darren on the bench at least for the good of the club? Surely you would want him retaining match sharpness so he is more of an asset to sell in January?

Like the journos have said and questioned him on, you don't go from (one minute) talking him up and making him captain and then the next minute putting him behind Jordan effing Bowery in the squad. It just doesn't make sense, in any conceivable way.

Something has clearly happened and I honestly cannot see what Paul Lambert's thinking is by hiding the truth from people and carrying on this saga - which is what it has become. At the end of the day, of course the media are going to keep asking questions as it's a totally perplexing situation.

PL should either bring him back into his plans and then listen to sensible offers in January or simply tell the fans: 'Yes we've had a disagreement and I would be willing to listen to offers for him'. Like others have said, by casting him completely aside, we're not going to get above £5 million for him when clubs know we are trying to offload him.

I'm fully behind the Lambert project, and actually agreed with his decision to originally drop Bent. But this is getting ridiculous now and, as I said, his handling of the situation is terrible and very MON-esque.

PL should either bring him back into his plans and then listen to sensible offers in January or simply tell the fans: 'Yes we've had a disagreement and I would be willing to listen to offers for him'. Like others have said, by casting him completely aside, we're not going to get above £5 million for him when clubs know we are trying to offload him.

I've never heard a manager say that, ever. Certainly not in the modern era. Care to give any examples?

Besides, they don't need to do any of that via the media. These clubs and players have agents and scouts, they are all in contact with each other. They have their own channels of communication away from the prying eyes of the media. The only reason you want them to go public is so that you don't feel left out, it's of no benefit to the club or player whatsoever.

• Like 1

I've never heard a manager say that, ever. Certainly not in the modern era. Care to give any examples?

Besides, they don't need to do any of that via the media. These clubs and players have agents and scouts, they are all in contact with each other. They have their own channels of communication away from the prying eyes of the media. The only reason you want them to go public is so that you don't feel left out, it's of no benefit to the club or player whatsoever.

Is that not what more or less happened when he fell out with Harry at Spurs?

Whereas keeping the matter 'private' is really benefiting the club dont_do_it_doug, isn't it?

Plenty of managers come out from time-to-time and admit to having had disagreements with certain players. Heck, you only have to look at our last three managers to see that. But this isn't, as you state, to make me feel personally better. Far from it. This current situation is doing Villa no favours a.) on the football pitch, b.) in making Bent as attractive a proposition for prospective buyers as possible and c.) it is leaving a negative storm hanging over the club's head at a time when we need to be focused 100 per cent on winning football games.

The longer this saga goes on, the more damage it will do to our club and the less money we will get for him. CI, if you think we will recoup up to £20 million for him when clubs fully realise we are trying to offload him then I think you are being massively (understatement of the century) optimistic.

Based on Lamberts comments I doubt any extra payments is a consideration. Lambert just doesnt think Bent has been training well and he was not impressed with how he handled the Captaincy debacle now he has got it in his mind that Bent is not his kind of player.

it is also pretty clear that when lambert decides you are out then you are OUT.

I dont know the whole story but I place the blame for this stuff on both their shoulders. Bent should have kept his trap shut and Lambert should have handled this WAY better. Tossing someone off the bench is a very big slap which i dont think Bent deserves based on what i have seen of his performances.

Is that not what more or less happened when he fell out with Harry at Spurs?

Is this a positive?

Whereas keeping the matter 'private' is really benefiting the club dont_do_it_doug, isn't it?

Plenty of managers come out from time-to-time and admit to having had disagreements with certain players. Heck, you only have to look at our last three managers to see that. But this isn't, as you state, to make me feel personally better. Far from it. This current situation is doing Villa no favours a.) on the football pitch, b.) in making Bent as attractive a proposition for prospective buyers as possible and c.) it is leaving a negative storm hanging over the club's head at a time when we need to be focused 100 per cent on winning football games.

The longer this saga goes on, the more damage it will do to our club and the less money we will get for him. CI, if you think we will recoup up to £20 million for him when clubs fully realise we are trying to offload him then I think you are being massively (understatement of the century) optimistic.

I'm still not seeing how going public with this, whatever this is, will serve anyone any good?

IMHO the decision was made upstairs. Above lambert.

No way would he have the authority to treat a £24m asset like this.

:lol:

What a complete load of toss.

Yeah Randy and Faulkner got their heads together, saw we were in a relegation battle and told Lambert not to play the best goalscorer at the club?

What planet are you on?

I'm sure even Big John doesn't think Randy is that stupid :D

I'm not saying it will necessarily 'do anyone good' but it might do less damage, for the reasons already mentioned, to the club than keeping this saga ongoing until January throughout a busy and crucial Christmas period.

Why did you only quote part of my post? I take it you think Paul Lambert has handled this situation well then?

Â