Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I really want to chip in here but I hardly know what to say. I love Darren Bent and I think back to how excited we were when we got him. One of the best finishers in the PL. At the same time I respect Lambert's views and agree that he has to pick the team he thinks is right. At the end of the day I think he will keep us up and looking at his signings and his philosophy, this man knows what he is doing.

Most definately.

i'd love to know the answer to this one... although, if the trigger is 50 and he's on 47, i'd still put him on the bench, with two games still to play with.... last night was screaming out for him to come on in the last half hour for say weimann, and slot a couple... there will be more situations like that, i'm sure...

if the deal with liverpool has been cut, then there's no point trying to prove something by leaving him out... make the most of him that we can in the little remaining time that we have him, within the parameters of his contract...

i suspect benty would bite PL's arm off for a chance to show him what he can do, even if only as a big fxxk you as he heads out...

it will also allow him a fair departure with the fans, because out of all of this, his departure will be painted as one orchestrated by him, whether or not that is actually the case...

That's all very well but if he's not performing and doing it on the pitch like he has not been in the games he's played this season then it is all irrelevant what he is capable of doing.

It is nothing personal against the player and I hope he does well at his new club. I think the deal that will be conducted is the most important thing to look at in all of this.

A loan deal to me would suggest that Lambert is still retaining him and leaving the door open for Bent to perhaps have a think about things and turn over a new leaf at the end of the season and come back to us the like the player he was when he first joined us. - Personally this is what I want to see happen and everyone puts it all behind them.

If we do a deal that is a cash transfer then I guess it's all eyes on the replacement.

And how does this makes you feel?

Happy?, Smug? Worried?

Neither actually sne, but more dissapointed than anything that it has came to this. But at the same time no player is bigger than the club and if what's been said is true about his work rate etc. then it cannot be argued.

Like PL says he has 25 or so guys to look after and if they are all working there arse off fighting for a place in the team and Bent just assumes he can light train and be automatically selected will explain why he has been shite most of the season with that attitude and why this is the situation we are at now.

There may be something in it but doubt it's 6m. You would structure the whole deal based on appearances. Surely it made of goals, trophies, appearances, international caps.

I just wish Lambert would stop lying, there's clearly a problem. If not he actually rates Bowery as a better option from the bench than an experienced goal scorer like bent. If that's the case we have bigger issues.

If there is any ground on the whole speculation that we still owe Sunderland after a set amount of appearances etc then if so the case and already said somewhere on here that why waste another 4-6m whatever it may be on a player who simply is not putting the effort in that's required like the rest of the team are when he might actually be going?

If any cash transfer was to happen it would be less we recieve if we still owe Sunderland another 4-6m if we played him.

Let's say he does hit 50 apps and we trigger this 'clause' (if there is one) but yet there would proberly be a week to go until Jan by then and we are maybe selling him and get 10-12m for him it will only actually be 4-6m after we pay sunderland off! This to me would not be good business sense and I feel that if there is anything in this 'clause' story then it would be silly to waste that money when we are going to need it for any replacement. - That is of course if it's a cash deal we are planning rather than a loan.

Thing with Bent is that he is the kind of player who wants to prove critics wrong. I could see him coming back into the team and banging the goals in (given we supply him with chances).

For years we were deperate for a striker like him but but hes the right striker at the wrong time for the club!

Absolutely no way should he not even be on the bench. I can see the reasoning with him not starting but he should be playing a part.

In your view why do you think he deserves this then?

it doesnt help with lambert taking the piss out of him

benteke and bent can play together, they did against southampton, we lost 4-1

or words to that effect

if he wants to go down that route why not mention his forward lineup against man city last week? where his line up got smashed 5-0?

i suspect he is doing this and treating him like scum is to get a reaction out of bent so it looks like bent has a bad attitude.

Why does it not help? It was funny you have to admit.

I think you will find it was 1-0 until the linesman assisted with the next 2 goals that knocked the stuffing out of us to make it 5-0. We were right in that game even at 1-0 down I still felt we could have perhaps fought for a point.

I don't think he is doing it for any reaction but he was just stating facts that we did lose 4-1 at southampton.

I had wanted Bent here for years. I really really like him as a finisher and no doubt his goals kept us up when he first arrived.

BUT, he is not a team player. We need team players.

If he can go and we get 12-15M for him for the manager to reinvest then that is fine for me. For that money he got Lowton, Vlaar, Westwood and Benteke.

Four more like that will do me

• Like 2

I had wanted Bent here for years. I really really like him as a finisher and no doubt his goals kept us up when he first arrived.

BUT, he is not a team player. We need team players.

If he can go and we get 12-15M for him for the manager to reinvest then that is fine for me. For that money he got Lowton, Vlaar, Westwood and Benteke.

Four more like that will do me

Agree with this entirely.. The signings thus far have been very good so would love to see what Lambo would do with another good chunk like 15m..

Different times, different tactics

It didn't work for Sunderland though did it

?

1 up front is still 1 up front and he scored regularly playing as a 1 up front

didnt work for sunderland?

i would say different, the 2 forwards did their job and they scored 33 goals between them, doing exactly what their job is

2009-2010 bent played 38 (0)

scored 24----- jones played 24 (9) scored 9

he cant work as a lone striker? he did for charlton and playing 2 up front with one being a player like benteke? it worked for sunderland by playing kenwne jones and bent up front together

the idea of winning a game of football is by scoring more than the opponents, while bent may be a one trick pony, his trick is scoring goals, thats quite a good trick, one which seems to evade most of our forwards

benteke may score 12 -14 goals this season, we may have another player score 10, thats 2 players who between them may score the same amount bent scores season upon season when played, so i cant see this thing about him being a luxury player and we only play weith 10 men when he isnt scoring, because when he does score it could be countered that we are now playing with 12 men as he scores double the amount our other strikers manage

lambert will sell him, we will score less goals and another team will benefit from his services

thats football, but for me bent has done nothing wrong apart from being bigger than lambert and lambert doesnt like that and seems intent on goading bent until bent reacts.

First off Bent does not score 25 goals season upon season, lets put that myth to bed once and for all. Go look them up if you need to.

Second of all the assumption Benteke will "only" score 12-14. I'd put money on him scoring more, fitness permitting. Yes he has missed a few sitters so far, he's still very raw. But I'm convinced they'll start coming in droves, he's clearly incredibly skilful as well as being an absolute **** beast. As a footballer he offers an immeasurable amount more than Bent.

Yes, there is the possibility that the two could play well together. I've yet to see it so I have no idea but of course I'm open to the suggestion. That would mean changing the way we play almost entirely.

Darren Bent is NOT bigger than the manager. Darren Bent is NOT bigger than Aston Villa football club. It's comments like those that has me wonder where the soul of football has gotten to.

Paul Lambert MUST be allowed to shape this team and its squad however he sees fit. If that includes flogging the goal scoring donkey them so be it.

• Like 1

First off Bent does not score 25 goals season upon season, lets put that myth to bed once and for all. Go look them up if you need to.

Second of all the assumption Benteke will "only" score 12-14. I'd put money on him scoring more, fitness permitting. Yes he has missed a few sitters so far, he's still very raw. But I'm convinced they'll start coming in droves, he's clearly incredibly skilful as well as being an absolute **** beast. As a footballer he offers an immeasurable amount more than Bent.

Yes, there is the possibility that the two could play well together. I've yet to see it so I have no idea but of course I'm open to the suggestion. That would mean changing the way we play almost entirely.

Darren Bent is NOT bigger than the manager. Darren Bent is NOT bigger than Aston Villa football club. It's comments like those that has me wonder where the soul of football has gotten to.

Paul Lambert MUST be allowed to shape this team and its squad however he sees fit. If that includes flogging the goal scoring donkey them so be it.

25 goals a season? where did i say that, go look it up.... oh i didnt

and where did i say bent was bigger than aston villa?

jesus some people will bullsh1t to their hearts content making up rubbish.

keep going

25 goals a season? where did i say that, go look it up.... oh i didnt

and where did i say bent was bigger than aston villa?

jesus some people will bullsh1t to their hearts content making up rubbish.

keep going

Thank you for the reasoned, respectful response like the one I gave to you. Apologies for misunderstanding your gutter English.

Interesting that you believe Bent is bigger than the manager. The weekly starting XI would suggest otherwise....

Last night was a very good example of why we need Darren Bent to play games. Their defence was a mess and with clever runs we really should have put a few goals in the back of the net, especially Benteke and Weimann missing huge opportunities. I am tired of this argument about not being a team player, it is not like he stands still and does not charge any ball when we are not in possession, and it is also a myth that Gabby or Weimann are so good at this that they should start any game. This has lead us to scoring 11 times in 14 games, obviously it is NOT working very well. Better strikers make the midfielders better as well, because it is easy to time runs and passes into the box. Last night I wanted Ireland and Bent on the pitch, they would have caused much more damage to a very weak Reading-team. Weimann had a good game against Man U of course, but other than that 0 goals and 0 assists. Gabby has 1 goals and 1 assist in 823 minutes, not a lot is it? These are players that need to score and contribute as you say, regularly. I see Benteke's value of course, he is strong and scares the hell out of other teams. To summarize, people say Darren Bent does not contribute because he isn't a team player, which I think is a myth. But are Weimann and Gabby doing so much to automatically keep him out of the team? In my opinion, not at all. They do not deliver the real goods every week and do not warrant a start every week, because what matters is not every run or chasing of defenders, it is mostly about scoring goals and we are not doing it with these players on the pitch. There is furore in the media and among pundits these days, why are they benching Bent when the team is crap and not scoring goals? Makes no sense whatsoever. If we were 6th and having scored a more normal 18-20 goals I would say fine, but when we are so incredibly bad in attack I see no argument to bench Bent. And if something has happened, please tell us as we have a right to know.

Anyone see the interview with Lambert, his body language gave everything away. He is taking the piss out of Bent, when questioned about Bent playing up top with Benteke he mentioned the 4-1 defeat to southampton. He also didnt answer the question directly, digressing onto a slightly different subject on all players having a future.

In addition to this Lambert is getting sick of all the Bent questions.

Thank you for the reasoned, respectful response like the one I gave to you. Apologies for misunderstanding your gutter English.

Interesting that you believe Bent is bigger than the manager. The weekly starting XI would suggest otherwise....

try stop making rubbish up then, there is no respect for making rubbish up and pretending another poster has wrote it

I'm not at all happy with how Lambert has treated Bent. Fine if he doesn't want him but he could do with being a bit more honest and not treating Bent like crap who, despite what has happened, has remained quite professional and it is true that he has NEVER said that he wants to leave. I think he has been victimised quite a bit and that he doesn't really deserve it.

I respect Lambert as a manager and I definitely think he is the man for Villa, but as a person he seems very dislikable.

try stop making rubbish up then, there is no respect for making rubbish up and pretending another poster has wrote it

Sorry. You said "maybe 22-24 season upon season". I misread due to the number "2" rather than the word "two" being used in the next sentence.

I'm really not interested in aggressive debate so I'll leave it thanks.

Im really very tired of hearing about Bent, he's not this team currently, regardless of any so called 'rifts' or 'curtis davies clauses in contracts' The team are playing steadily, our most balanced run of form in terms of performances and points, so i completely understand why Lambert is reluctant to alter things.

Just reading through this topic, some are questioning Bents attitude. Tell me what Bent has done here or at his previous club that would suggest he has a bad attitude.

I don't think his attitude on the pitch helps. He had one gear. He doesn't appear to have many friends in the squad. There was the way he left Sunderland which now seems a little bitter. There was the Christmas shopping incident. His comments post West Brom were a little unsavoury although we were all guilty of brushing over them at the time. Lambert stripping him of the captaincy suggested something was amiss and the managers recent comments however thinly veiled do the same.

Ultimately for me, I just don't trust him on and off the pitch. I don't like how certain sections of the media and the fan base are making out as though he's bigger than the club, more news worthy than what we're working towards long term. It's a personal thing I guess.

I'm still open to being proved wrong.

If you are sick of hearing about Bent, dont click on the topic called Darren Bent. He is the clubs record buy and appears to of had an altercation with lambert, so it is pretty obvious there is going to be interest from posters on villatalk.

Â