Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Fair enough.

I'm certainly not trying to make out Bent is the player he was when we first signed him.  I guess it just disappoints me that we signed a quality goal scorer and then rip apart any decent team for him to play with and then just dump him out.

If it wasnt for the goals at the end of 10-11, he would be our biggest flop of all-time.

Before Paul Lambert, extreme cost cutting and the genius invention of the bomb squad he scored 18 goals in 38 league appearances.

I agree with how he was mishandled but he could have proven everyone wrong at Fulham but he tanked there and so far he has looked poor since he got back. But the blame doesn't lay on his shoulders solely.

Weimann and Gabby have been doing just as poorly and Bent's replacements - Bowery, Helenius and Holt were a waste of time and money.

hes clearly down on confidence and match sharpness and probably a bit too heavy. 

I think hes a great striker but not in his current condition. He wont play many games to recover either. 

It's not the mangers, or the tactics, or the supply - he was finished as a top class striker the day he did his ankle ligament in 2012.

He didn't come back the same player and he's done nothing in the 2 1/2 years since.

We massively overpaid for him, but most knew what we were getting - an average 'overall footballer, but a very good poacher. He was as good as guaranteed to score goals, but offered little else.

He was never the absolute quickest, but he was sharp over the first 5-10 yards and mobile when he wanted to be. That injury took some of that sharpness and mobility away and it was obvious when he came back.

He was never going to adapt his game to holding the ball up or running the channels all game and he hasn't got the skill to beat a man or create chances for himself.

What we have left is a limited player who can no longer rely on the only strengths he had.

His work rate is poor and he doesn't exactly look in tip top shape to my untrained eye, I just wish someone would stick a fork in his time here, because it's done.

• Like 4

I'd still play him ahead of gabby.

But that's only because I'd rather play a striker who does nothing but might score if he gets a chance over a striker who does nothing and won't score when he gets a chance

• Like 3

I guess it just disappoints me that we signed a quality goal scorer and then rip apart any decent team for him to play with and then just dump him out.

So am I but we know who is to blame for that one… 

But we can't afford players of Milner, Downing or Young's quality any more and that is what is/was required in order for Bent to score goals. Given that I think trying to shift him was the right thing to do, given his wages and our restrictions and what has also appeared to be a lets just say a decline in interest/effort/motivation (call it what you will) from the player himself.

I'd still play him ahead of gabby.

But that's only because I'd rather play a striker who does nothing but might score if he gets a chance over a striker who does nothing and won't score when he gets a chance

Yeah i'd go along with that.

I guess it just disappoints me that we signed a quality goal scorer and then rip apart any decent team for him to play with and then just dump him out.

So am I but we know who is to blame for that one… 

But we can't afford players of Milner, Downing or Young's quality any more and that is what is/was required in order for Bent to score goals. Given that I think trying to shift him was the right thing to do, given his wages and our restrictions and what has also appeared to be a lets just say a decline in interest/effort/motivation (call it what you will) from the player himself.

Yes I'm in full agreement with you regarding how the team has declined under Lerner.  I do think Bent has to take some responsibility for his motivation and desire, especially when you look at Hutton and how he's reacted.  But then different people react differently to things.  I just don't think we as a club have helped.  I really do feel like we've also contributed to the decline of Bent.

It could have been so different but after this season he's going to look like a very expensive player for a year and a half of good quality service to the club.

• Like 1

I like Darren Bent, comes across a good bloke but he just isn't a particularly self motivated guy. Seems like when a team are doing well and confident, he fits in and can do his part, but when there's a struggle there's just not enough fire in his belly, he switches off. That's why he's never been a top player and now he's not as physically fit as he was there's just nothing about his game that is beneficial to us.

Also, I'm not sure Villa contributed much to his decline, we signed a world class striker and he was rightly moved out of the team to accommodate Benteke. We even loaned him out to a league rival instead of allowing him to rot in the reserves. How he performed there was up to him and unfortunately it didn't work out. He'd be wise to take a pay cut and play a few more seasons in the Championship and I wish him the best.

If it wasnt for the goals at the end of 10-11, he would be our biggest flop of all-time.

Before Paul Lambert, extreme cost cutting and the genius invention of the bomb squad he scored 18 goals in 38 league appearances.

I agree with how he was mishandled but he could have proven everyone wrong at Fulham but he tanked there and so far he has looked poor since he got back. But the blame doesn't lay on his shoulders solely.

Weimann and Gabby have been doing just as poorly and Bent's replacements - Bowery, Helenius and Holt were a waste of time and money.

I'm pretty sure kozak was Bent's replacement who went on to score more goals than bent before getting injured.

Holt was kozaks replacement while he was injured.

And for the grand total of 1.3mill Bowery and helenius were a cheap punt from a poor transfer budget. I'd also argue that bowery's assists contributed to keeping us up. Paid for himself.

Finally offloading bent paid for all of the above. With kozak and holts combined goal scoring total being more than Bent's and costing us less money.

Once it was awesome but now he has to go and quick.

Edited by villan_007
  • Like 1

As I said the other day, until we get Benteke or Kozak back we just need to stay solid and pray for a lucky break from midfield.

Bent had a chance last night and he didn't take it, if he had scored I think he would have been straight in for Hull. He's past it, I don't expect him to be involved much from now on, complete opposite of Hutton and his rejuvenation.

• Like 2

As sadly expected, Bent fluffed his chance to reinstall himself as one of our starting strikers last night and only proved his desire to play has deserted him.

Regardless of his two taps in against Mansfield, he's not looked fit all pre-season or likely to score. I don't put this down to anyone but the player himself.

What a waste of wages - just got to hope Neil Warnock takes him to Palace.

• Like 3

After seeing Gabby in the first two games I was all for giving Bent one last chance.

He blew it, pay the fat words removed contract off because he is going to be no use to us this season in the slightest.

Waste of oxygen, i would fine him too for breach of contract, in no way is he in any shape to play professional football at this level.

• Like 2

Â