Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

No coincedence that on saturday we played with 4 International defenders, and looked competant.When Baker played, and i saw him have quite a few good games, he played with inexperienced FBs and sometimes Clark.Too inexperienced.

Not his fault, i still think he will be ok long term, needs to play alogside an experienced defender for a season or 2 , probably in a lower league, and he will become a good defender.

I've said before, and i will say again, at his age, a better defender than Cahill was at the same age, and hes ok.

I remember when i first saw him in the first team against walsall in a pre season friendly, i honestly thought it was Laursen from a distance, he was that good, i was so excited by his potential back then, he was brilliant

I don't think the situation as a club has helped him. He's had to attempt to mature in a team with awful fullbacks and lack of cover from midfield. He's tested a lot more than a normal centre half, and his inexperience mistakes happen, and because he has to defend more he makes more. Same goes for Clark, but I'm sure Baker will make a better centre half. Stick him along side Vlaar with Cissokho and Hutton at fullback and behind Sanchez I think you will find he will be a lot more composed.

We've had the perfect storm of a shite defence for 2 years, inexperienced center halfs playing between inexperienced fullbacks playing behind an inexperienced midfield. They've all been exposed, and might have ruined any chance if any of them reaching their potential.

I basically entirely agree with all of this. For both Baker and Clark (though probably more so for Baker) timing has been what has ruined him. I really think he would benefit from a loan spell in the Championship. 

• Like 1

Off to Wigan on loan till end of the season is the rumour on Twitter

I think that would suit everyone. It's his decision making that turns my guts to water so if he had a full season at a lower level to sort himself he may come back as a useful squad player.

I remember when i first saw him in the first team against walsall in a pre season friendly, i honestly thought it was Laursen from a distance, he was that good, i was so excited by his potential back then, he was brilliant

I don't think the situation as a club has helped him. He's had to attempt to mature in a team with awful fullbacks and lack of cover from midfield. He's tested a lot more than a normal centre half, and his inexperience mistakes happen, and because he has to defend more he makes more. Same goes for Clark, but I'm sure Baker will make a better centre half. Stick him along side Vlaar with Cissokho and Hutton at fullback and behind Sanchez I think you will find he will be a lot more composed.

We've had the perfect storm of a shite defence for 2 years, inexperienced center halfs playing between inexperienced fullbacks playing behind an inexperienced midfield. They've all been exposed, and might have ruined any chance if any of them reaching their potential.

It would be foolish to ignore your comments....it is very difficult to assess players when so much collectively was wrong.

The same could be said for any of our young players.

How we survived last season I will never know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I came here in the hope of making sense of the twitter rumours... anyone know what has happened? I really don't want to brave twitter for an answer*

*the chance of finding this on twitter is near impossible.

Â