Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

since this time last night, ive had another change of opinion

all season ive been under the believe that baker should be a back up LCB and we need a new CB, but now i think he should remain first choice with another top defender to come in to partner him, as we all know, and can expect, vlaar will most likely be injured for most of the season anyway

why? because baker is 23 yrs old, hes getting better, proving his worth and apart from a few couldnt be helped faults, he hasnt put a foot wrong, and could possibly even tip the england squad if he plays his cards right

Good news that he's signed, but if he has a good season this season he'll need another contract next summer, 3 years isn't long enough. I'm guessing the club has said take this (with a pay rise) and we'll revue next year, rather than moving him immediately onto a 'you've made it' contract. Personally, I've a lot of faith in this boy and would be much happier if it was a five year deal.

• Like 2

Like Bakes a lot - love his commitment with his tackles. There's nothing quite like seeing him clean out a player with a challenge and cleanly taking the ball. Also love the fact he's a local lad. He's our Worcester Warrior.

He's still raw and we definitely need a new CB in my opinion - but can utilise him throughout the season.

since this time last night, ive had another change of opinion

all season ive been under the believe that baker should be a back up LCB and we need a new CB, but now i think he should remain first choice with another top defender to come in to partner him, as we all know, and can expect, vlaar will most likely be injured for most of the season anyway

why? because baker is 23 yrs old, hes getting better, proving his worth and apart from a few couldnt be helped faults, he hasnt put a foot wrong, and could possibly even tip the england squad if he plays his cards right

That's a load of bollocks - the guy had a calf strain. Then was ever present till the end of the season, scoring a few cracking goals and helping baker along the way.

Good news that he's signed, but if he has a good season this season he'll need another contract next summer, 3 years isn't long enough. I'm guessing the club has said take this (with a pay rise) and we'll revue next year, rather than moving him immediately onto a 'you've made it' contract. Personally, I've a lot of faith in this boy and would be much happier if it was a five year deal.

Shows they are learning though, I think they've believed that the academy was somewhat magical at times and rushed into giving some players deals they perhaps hadn't earned. I'd much rather see him get an improved deal and then a bumper one next year if he proves he's earned it. 

• Like 1

He'll be a handy squad player next season.

Agreed. A squad player at least, with the ability to push into the starting eleven. That's another 'win' for our Academy, in my eyes!

Shows they are learning though, I think they've believed that the academy was somewhat magical at times and rushed into giving some players deals they perhaps hadn't earned. I'd much rather see him get an improved deal and then a bumper one next year if he proves he's earned it. 

Excellent point Folski, in addition you have to consider that the agent and the player might not have agreed to a longer deal at this moment in time.

Excellent point Folski, in addition you have to consider that the agent and the player might not have agreed to a longer deal at this moment in time.

It's kind of what Spurs have done with Bale - he's had a new contract every year now for about 3 years, each time, because his performances have got better and better, he's got more money, the club has protected their investment by having 3 years left on his contract, so if they sell it'll be for a good price, rather than a contract run-down price. As Folksi said, the club are learning, and in terms of rewarding players for having performed, rather than for "might perform" if he comes good, it's eminently sensible.

• Like 1

Â