The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I'll get over the loss of the 3.5mm jack.  I'll be buggered if I'll be an early adopter though, if it goes from this year's iPhone then I'll probably go back to Android when I get a new phone.

I lose head phones with the same annoying regularity that I lose sunglasses, so having to buy new ones won't be a big issue for me.

I go through quite a few too, but for that very reason I'd rather wait until the third party market is mature rather than have to pay through the nose for mediocre stuff from Apple or Beats. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well they've as expected done it.

You'd think they have enough money not to worry about forcing manufacturers to pay them to sell headphones, but obviously not. There's no benefit to binning the headphone jack beyond lining their pockets.

Evil company.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You'd think they have enough money not to worry about forcing manufacturers to pay them to sell headphones, but obviously not. There's no benefit to binning the headphone jack beyond lining their pockets.

Evil company.

Source?

Watch for the post hoc justifications from people. You'll meet so many people who always thought the jack was too big or used too much space inside the device or whatever "Truth" their marketing department comes out with 

Much as a I like my iPhone, I'll not be getting a new one.  I do wonder if no headphone jack on the new one will actually increase the value of used iPhones with a 3.5mm jack? 

52 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm astonished they added in the adaptor, but either way an adaptor isn't a solution. It's a fudge that puts more strain on the most vital port on the phone.

I was thinking something similar, how long before they're repairing thousands of lightening ports under warranty, or even recalling handsets.

12 hours ago, The_Rev said:

And if you want to charge it while you listen to something you can buy this  Y shaped adaptor for the low low price of £24.99! 

Surely you'd just use wireless charging. :trollface:

That adapter will break in no time and cost £60 to replace I bet.

Thankfully by the time I actually get to an iPhone 7, iPhone 10 will probably be out and it won't be a problem.

I've only just upgraded to a 5s!

Edited by sexbelowsound

I get a free phone every year from O2 anyway so they've already contacted me and asked if I want one

I'll probably say yes just to make me look cool in front of my children

personally I use Bluetooth headphones anyway , hate the idea of wires trailing out of the phone etc when I'm listening to music so the lack of a headphone socket doesn't really bother me ... I was sorta surprised to hear the complaints that wireless headphones drop out and aren't very good , my Jay Buds , seem to deliver great sound and have never dropped out

On 7 September 2016 at 20:09, Chindie said:

Evil company.

lolz.

Profit based company in trying to make money shocker, or should Apple just not try and make money, they are different to all other companies for some reason?

44 minutes ago, VillaForever1970 said:

lolz.

Profit based company in trying to make money shocker, or should Apple just not try and make money, they are different to all other companies for some reason?

No-one said they weren't.

1 hour ago, VillaForever1970 said:

lolz.

Of course they can make a profit. And they do very nicely in that respect.

But its difficult to see the consumer benefit to the removal of an essentially universal standard port, which is remarkably well designed and works exceptionally well, in favour of a proprietary port with extremely questionable benefits to the user whilst threatening the usage life of the product and reducing the concurrent functionality, whilst also lining the company's pockets via licensing fees.

It's nonsense for everything bar Apple's profit line. They saw the universal nature of headphones being money out the door, so they changed it to stop that and cooked up largely useless reasons to justify it.

46 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Who charges their phone whilst the headphones are plugged in anyway? Weirdos.

I do, but it's mainly sat at my desk with my phone sat on the wireless charger.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They saw the universal nature of headphones being money out the door, so they changed it to stop that and cooked up largely useless reasons to justify it.

I think it's likely to become more widespread. There's a few telephones now, without headphone ports. For whatever reason, whether they are the first to do it, or 2nd or 3rd or 5th....whenever Apple does something (getting rid of floppy drives, or CD drives, or  making all in one desktops, or etc. and so forth, or this latest headphones thing, the rest of the Industry often decides, "yep. we're gonna do that too".

I suppose it's the future, but I like my headphones with the wires.

Â