The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

The instructions are to erase the device first, then remove it from "your" (brother's) account.

In order to get it out of activation lock, you should still be able to put in the password to unlock it - like if you lost it, locked it, then found it again. There's some instructions on the apple website

It was already erased. It was at the initial start up when I turned it on. Then the activation lock screen came up. I put in the details and it said they were incorrect. Apple were unhelpful, saying that 'if the activation lock is still on then the apple id you're inputting is incorrect'. They couldn't explain why the iphone 6 showed up in his devices before I removed it though. They said it had to have been another iphone 6 (which he never owned)

With your instructions, the device doesn't show up in 'find your phone' because I removed it from his devices.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It was already erased. It was at the initial start up when I turned it on. Then the activation lock screen came up. I put in the details and it said they were incorrect. Apple were unhelpful, saying that 'if the activation lock is still on then the apple id you're inputting is incorrect'. They couldn't explain why the iphone 6 showed up in his devices before I removed it though. They said it had to have been another iphone 6 (which he never owned)

With your instructions, the device doesn't show up in 'find your phone' because I removed it from his devices.

Damn!. Yeah, have you tried plugging it into your computer and dealing with it from there?

Damn!. Yeah, have you tried plugging it into your computer and dealing with it from there?

Yeah, same message. That the Apple ID isn't the correct one. It has to be. I just don't get it. It seems to be stuck. That removing it should have removed the activation lock, but it didn't, and now the device isn't attached to the account. I'm currently on at my mum to see if he could have had another iphone 6 before, but I doubt it.

Apple are asking to speak to him, but he's disabled. Me and my mum do everything with regards to tech.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Have you tried erase device with recovery mode?  - while the phone's plugged in to the computer, press and hold the side sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. Don't let go when the Apple logo appears, but keep pressing both buttons till you see the recovery mode screen?

I dunno! I was thinking that there are 2 explanations - 1 that you've been trying with the wrong password, (which it wouldn't fix), or 2 - that there's been some kind of glitch, so I wondered if trying to basically restore it might just clear a glitch, or possibly the computer, if it's seen the phone before might recognise it and allow it to be unlocked.

It seems weird that the password you're trying wouldn't unlock the phone. I think the password to unlock an Activation locked phone isn't the normal one, but is one that [you] enter into the Apple website for when you lose your phone - you can basically type a message into the box on the page and the phone will display that to whoever finds it, so you can get it back, and you can type in a lost phone password - so maybe some time in the past someone's put in that password, and that'll be the one you want?

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno! I was thinking that there are 2 explanations - 1 that you've been trying with the wrong password, (which it wouldn't fix), or 2 - that there's been some kind of glitch, so I wondered if trying to basically restore it might just clear a glitch, or possibly the computer, if it's seen the phone before might recognise it and allow it to be unlocked.

It seems weird that the password you're trying wouldn't unlock the phone. I think the password to unlock an Activation locked phone isn't the normal one, but is one that [you] enter into the Apple website for when you lose your phone - you can basically type a message into the box on the page and the phone will display that to whoever finds it, so you can get it back, and you can type in a lost phone password - so maybe some time in the past someone's put in that password, and that'll be the one you want?

It's asking for the Apple ID. Looking like this A******@h******.uk

I have this info. I logged into the account online using this info and the iphone 6 was there under devices, so I removed it.

I'll try a system restore when I get home. Otherwise I'll just have to pay for it to be unlocked by a 3rd party.

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's asking for the Apple ID. Looking like this A******@h******.uk

I have this info. I logged into the account online using this info and the iphone 6 was there under devices, so I removed it.

I'll try a system restore when I get home. Otherwise I'll just have to pay for it to be unlocked by a 3rd party.

Maybe take it to an Apple shop?

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

Maybe take it to an Apple shop?

Based on my conversation with Apple's support, they are parroting that because it still has activation lock, the info I'm putting in is wrong. But when I logged onto it, the device was on there so it had to be attached to that ID.

I even asked, "Okay, if I'm putting in the wrong info, what apple ID is attached to this phone?" and they can't tell me.

If I can't sort it tonight I'm going to have to pay to get it removed. Then we'll see if EE have locked it to their network.

Plugged it in, still locked.

Checked if there's any way to get it removed by paying, nope.

I know for a fact that I have the correct ID for the device. Proven by the iphone 6 being in there when I logged in and it also the apple ID locking me out when I put the wrong password in too many times for the device. I reset the pw, logged in, unlocked the account and removed it from the devices in the Apple ID like I was told to and it didn't remove the lock.

The only advice Apple could offer up was 'you have the wrong ID'. I don't you **** moron. Why was there an iphone 6 attached to the account before I removed it?

The only thing I can think that I did wrong was remove it in devices rather than 'findmyiphone' but the guides say you can remove it there too.

Basically, I removed the device but the activation lock didn't go. Now because the device is removed, I can't unlock it with the correct ID. (I think its glitched and now there is no ID attached to the phone, but it's still locked)

Now **** Apple won't help me so I'm left with a very expensive brick and no christmas present for my girlfriend.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I was about to make a smug comment about a rival platform but this actually sounds really horrible for you. You have my sympathies.

But if you are putting the correct id in and it refuses to work then surely the onus is on apple to provide a way to unlock it? They should have records about which id the imei/serial was registered to so could verify if you are or not putting it in correctly. If you are then it constitutes a fault with the device due to Apple's processes. So I'd be rocking on down to a genius with an expectation of a fix.

I'm going tomorrow.

Time is getting very, very tight though.

I've done more digging. He's disabled, so he doesn't always understand about keeping one ID. He has another ID but that has an iphone 7 and an ipad attached to it. So he has 2 IDs. One for his old iphone (now mine) and the new one.

I can prove it isn't stolen which is the **** point of this activation lock anyway.

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know for a fact that I have the correct ID for the device. Proven by the iphone 6 being in there when I logged in and it also the apple ID locking me out when I put the wrong password in too many times for the device. I reset the pw, logged in, unlocked the account and removed it from the devices in the Apple ID like I was told to and it didn't remove the lock.

Could that be the problem? You say you put the wrong password in many times and the phone locked you out. You then reset the account password, presumably via a computer? But that's not the phone password, that's the account password? The phone is still locked at that point, maybe even erased ( if the phone was set to erase upon multiple incorrect access attempts) you've then, on the computer, removed the phone from the devices without ever having unlocked it.

apologies if I've misunderstood, but that seems like what you've said you did.

so there is possibly now a situation where you are typing in the "new" password at the phone, but the phone hasn't actually been set for the new password. The phone may still need the old password, because it has not been told about the new one, as you disassociated it from your account.

good luck whatever. Security is fine when it works to protect, but an utter, utter, pain when there's a problem

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Could that be the problem? You say you put the wrong password in many times and the phone locked you out. You then reset the account password, presumably via a computer? But that's not the phone password, that's the account password? The phone is still locked at that point, maybe even erased ( if the phone was set to erase upon multiple incorrect access attempts) you've then, on the computer, removed the phone from the devices without ever having unlocked it.

apologies if I've misunderstood, but that seems like what you've said you did.

so there is possibly now a situation where you are typing in the "new" password at the phone, but the phone hasn't actually been set for the new password. The phone may still need the old password, because it has not been told about the new one, as you disassociated it from your account.

good luck whatever. Security is fine when it works to protect, but an utter, utter, pain when there's a problem

I get what you mean, but no, I logged into the account on my Mac, and unlocked the account, then removed the device.

Also, it is saying 'you cannot use this Apple ID to unlock this device' rather than 'the password is incorrect'. Thing is, there isn't any other Apple ID that it could be. It just appears that the phone has no ID attached to it, but the activation lock is still on.

I'm going to the Apple shop tonight.

• Like 1

Officially Remove Activation Lock steps are documented by Apple at https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

In a nutshell, the various ways to remove iCloud Activation Lock include:

1. Apple will remove the lock if they can verify the original purchaser is requesting the action.
  2. Self-service removal if you can authenticate as the iCloud account that placed the lock on that device.
  3. Business using DEP can often use their MDM to remove the lock as a self-service action without needing Apple to be involved.

For consumers, you will likely need to make an appointment at an Apple Store and provide the Genius on-hand proof of purchase (to show you're the authorized owner) along with proof of identity and they will reset Activation Lock, giving you access to the device.

For businesses, it depends if you are enrolled in DEP - Apple's Device Enrollment Program or just want to provide copies of the original purchase listing serial numbers to verify ownership.

If you bought the device second hand, stole it, found it or came to possess the device by some means other than buying it from Apple directly, then you will probably need the original owner to show proof of purchase, etc. They will then transfer the device to your account or simply disable Activation Lock.

The only self-service way to remove the lock if you can't type your password into the device itself is to authenticate at https://icloud.com and remove the activation lock when the device is not connected to the internet.

If you're purchasing a second hand iPhone, visit https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ to check the status of the device before you buy it.

@StefanAVFC link might be of some use - tell you what to take to the shop, or some steps you could try?

I can do number 1 but that will mean finding the proof of purchase and knowing my brother, he won't have it. But that'll be a case of giving the present without it working.

They're calling me back at 16:30 today so I'll attempt to get into my brother's account then.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can do number 1 but that will mean finding the proof of purchase and knowing my brother, he won't have it.

where did he get it from? maybe there will be a retrievable electronic record - credit card, apple store - purchase history... phone company...? might be useful to know the phone number of the device as well.

Â