The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

I'm thinking of upgrading from my mini 2 to a iPad Pro 9.7. I have a laptop I'll get £200 ish for & the mother in law is having mini 2 off me so it's going to cost me roughly £200, not bad.

But when I compare it to the air 2 I'm struggling to warrant the extra £150. I know the pros much faster ect but even so....has anyone picked up a pro since launch? I'm thinking I'll use it for some light gaming as well.

12 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

I think it's a cracking handset, powerful but my issue is that the screen is still the same as it was in 2011.

Bought one too. Bro's Gold (it's not pink), 64GB. Have to agree, it's a fantastic phone and I've already adjusted to the smaller screen, 720p on a 4" screen is spot on, anymore is needless. Blazing fast handset, great rear camera etc... I also love the one handed use, no more phone gymnastics. 

I've been on android for 4 years, it's nice to have a change for a bit.

49 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Bought one too. Bro's Gold (it's not pink), 64GB. Have to agree, it's a fantastic phone and I've already adjusted to the smaller screen, 720p on a 4" screen is spot on, anymore is needless. Blazing fast handset, great rear camera etc... I also love the one handed use, no more phone gymnastics. 

I'm not due an upgrade till December but am already eyeballing one of these. I can get by with a 6 but it's a little to big for one handed use for me. I don't have very big hands so I can just about use it.

I watch stuff at work while on night/weekends, that's the only draw back for me with going smaller.  But under the hood it's fantastic!

Edited by mightysasquatch

59 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

How many phones do you get through?!

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

It's a minor point, but the iPhone SE doesn't have a 720p display.  It's a sub HD 640p (1136 x 640) resolution.  You still get good pixel density, the 'retina' thing where the icons look incredibly crisp to the naked eye but there isn't much real estate there. Can be sub optimal for web browsing and you aren't getting HD video on it. 

I can select the 4k option on YouTube for this video on my laptop.  It has a resolution of 1600 x 900.   You may be able to select it on a 640p iPhone screen too.  I presume YouTube doesn't know (or care) what kind of display you have on any device you are watching on, even an iPhone can be casting to an external screen, so it just offers up anything the video has been rendered in. 

20 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I can select the 4k option on YouTube for this video on my laptop.  It has a resolution of 1600 x 900.   You may be able to select it on a 640p iPhone screen too.  I presume YouTube doesn't know (or care) what kind of display you have on any device you are watching on, even an iPhone can be casting to an external screen, so it just offers up anything the video has been rendered in. 

Nope, that mkbhd review lets me select up to 720p on my se but nothing higher. Odd. 

52843184-5954-4E0B-9601-44DC74E01A1C.png

Edited by Ingram85

I guess it's because 720 is the closest option to the iPhone display then. My 6 plus is only 1080p and its sharp as **** but I'm hoping my next phone (probably next year) is at least 1440p. Haven't decided whether to stay with Apple or go back to Android yet. I'll have to see what the late 2016 flagships look like first. 

On 10/04/2016 at 20:39, mightysasquatch said:

I'm thinking of upgrading from my mini 2 to a iPad Pro 9.7. I have a laptop I'll get £200 ish for & the mother in law is having mini 2 off me so it's going to cost me roughly £200, not bad.

But when I compare it to the air 2 I'm struggling to warrant the extra £150. I know the pros much faster ect but even so....has anyone picked up a pro since launch? I'm thinking I'll use it for some light gaming as well.

I picked it up at launch.

Don't play games on it but it's a superb piece of kit.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

My mate actually managed to recover his lost/stolen/found iPhone using find my iPhone. 

I'm staggered.

Cool story :D

6 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

My mate actually managed to recover his lost/stolen/found iPhone using find my iPhone. 

I'm staggered.

It's pretty neat the whole find my Mac/phone function and the remote erase stuff. I kind of assumed all modern devices have a similar feature.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's pretty neat the whole find my Mac/phone function and the remote erase stuff. I kind of assumed all modern devices have a similar feature.

Yeah, I was actually amazed at how efficiently it worked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I kind of assumed all modern devices have a similar feature.

If we are speaking Google, it's called Android Device Manager.

Microsoft just calls theirs "Devices".

So you assume right :)

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Any Apple owners happy about the apparently inevitable loss of the 3.5mm jack?

If they do get rid of it, then they'd need to include an adaptor with each phone. It seems like a bad idea to me, one that would hit sales and annoy people with their own headphones.

Smart phones generally have evolved now to the point where there's not really any "extra" value in terms of functionality that's needed. So manufacturers are all turning towards more unnecessary "features".

Better batteries would be a bonus. Removing the headphone socket is a minus for most people, though it would free up a bit of space so they can make it 0.5mm thinner or whatever. Pointless.

I can easily see Apple selling an adaptor for anyone who wishes to keep using their usual headphones (which may have been quite expensive). I also expect they'll have lovely sets of wireless and/or lightning port headphones for sale, and licenses for companies wishing to produce their own, ready to purchase. Maybe they'll bundle a cheap pair.

I can appreciate that the headphone socket is an old technology, and on the scale of modern connectors it's bulky. But is that space really going to do much for the consumer? is that extra space really going to do much for battery life? Really? Does the phone need to be that much smaller? Is trimming a bit of a bezel space used for the connectors and some of the electronics going to improve things much? Does anyone really need the benefits offered to audio from a digital connector when they're walking down a street?

I see this as purely Apple wanting more control and more profit, to the detriment of their userbase. I daresay the reality distortion field will kick in sharpish though.

Edited by Chindie
Ludicrousness

I'll get over the loss of the 3.5mm jack.  I'll be buggered if I'll be an early adopter though, if it goes from this year's iPhone then I'll probably go back to Android when I get a new phone.

It's probably the best port out there. Impossible to put it in wrong, incredibly durable, and it's compatible with every set of headphones out there. I have absolutely no interest in microusb or bluetooth headphones.

• Like 2

Â