Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

IIRC thats the quest that requires you to go to a bar and partake in a drinking game...

Just playing this myself today and lost in it again. Adding a few mods to tart the game up (particularly a climate mod) make a massive difference. Also, kinda sad, I've been surprised how different and more immersive the game feels with a a couple of cloak mods. All of a sudden characters are wandering round with LOTR-esque cloaks in the wilderness, and also some Game of Throne's style big **** off fur cloaks. Just looks cool and adds a new aesthetic to the whole thing. And loads of new apparel.

I've also added in LOTR weapons >_>.

almost completed dark brotherhood...

And picked up Azura's Star. This item is the bomb, just like in Morrowind

I've had the 'Find Azura's Star' quest sitting in my list of quests for ages. Maybe I'll do that one next!

I decided not to join the Dark Brotherhood. I didn't like the way the leader demands that you kill one of those hostages without any information on them. So I killed her and took her clothes.

Then I decided to free one of the hostages, but the others gave me a bit of backchat, so I left them there.

Anyone planning on playing the online release? They've made it Mac-friendly, so it'd be my first look at anything by them...they also say you don't need a monster machine to run it, so it's looking likely that I'll check it out. I need some fantasy world immersion, this real world is tedious.

That sounds cool Chindie. What LOTR weapons?

I've not actually found one yet so I dunno, but I believe it just adds in the Fellowships signature weapons. The only one I know for sure is in there is Narsil, the blade that was broken, because it appears as a item you can create at the forge once you've found the broken hilt.

I've also added in Immersive Armours and Jaysus Swords which add a few new bits and bobs armour and weapons wise which clutter up the smithing menus but also give you the opportunity to run around with a seemingly pretty accurate bastard sword or crusader sword, and with a few new bits of armour you can knock up, so you too can ruyn around as a Falkreath Knight, or as I'm currently doing, as some kind of paladin knight.

Anyone planning on playing the online release? They've made it Mac-friendly, so it'd be my first look at anything by them...they also say you don't need a monster machine to run it, so it's looking likely that I'll check it out. I need some fantasy world immersion, this real world is tedious.

Nope, because MMORPGs don't appeal to me at all, and because they're about 5 years behind the curve with it, and it's an immense folly doomed to failure.

After a year of playing it off and on, I have finally made some progress on the game. Dragon mission is done, Civil War is done and Thieve's Guild is done aside from the final mission as I think I might just keep the skeleton key, Companions done. Dark Brotherhood never approached me, or else I just ignored it when they did. I read I have to approach Aventus or someone, but might take a break for a while.

I think it's an OK game. Never got into the storyline really. Dragons meh, thieves meh. Civil War was the best because of the actual war like sequences. Popping arrows at Imperial dogs. My guy is decent enough now. Level 38. 95 Two handed, 80 Archery, 60 Destruction. Might just do some levelling up over the next while by making iron daggers. Just to pimp out a few perks.

I found it all very samey. Dungeon, kill skeletons, solve a puzzle, kill a boss, get a new shout. Over and over again. Going through the motions. No Republic of Dave, or talking tree euthanasia, Elvisland, Cannibal Hotel - So much good stuff. The shouts were good, but only a couple were really any use I found. Only really used destruction on bears and wolves to pimp it. Restoration was the only magic I used consistently. It never really grew on me at all. Fallout 3 is still the best game I've ever played. Maybe I expect too much from games since.

Some highlights like the companion reveal, but too few and far between. A lot of work, not a lot of payoff.

• 2 weeks later...

i am thinking of buying Skyrim for the PS3, but i'm hearing there are lots of lagging/freezing issues with the game on PS3?

Is this still the case? How bad is it?

If its bad, should i get Oblivion instead?

or will that just seem too dated to play nowadays?

Skyrim was a day one purchase for me on PS3. Although there have been some issues with it, and some persistant bugs remain on my oldest save file (broken bookcases and a multiple spawning character being the worst), newer saves after all of the patching are fine. In fact even on my original save I never experienced any of the really bad frame rate issues that I've heard about, and I don't recall it ever crashing. From a personal perspective, it seemed to me that the problems were blown out of proportion, it is very, very far from unplayable in my experience. That's not to say it doesnt struggle now and again, it does, but unless you have the option of being able to get it for PC or 360 instead, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker for you.

My girlfriend owns a bag with the Black Hand symbol for the Dark Brotherhood on it. It the street the other day, a woman who neither of us knew, came over to her whispered 'Hail Sithis' and walked off. You can't beat elder scrolls nutters.

• Like 2

Anyone try the Dragonborn DLC? I got it for the pc yesterday, thought it would be a good reason to get back into it with another run, starting a new character. I went for this one as it's more of an actual expansion rather than the shitty add-on stuff you usually get. 

So i'm a level 10 sword and board guy with no spells and clunky armour, make it to the shores of Solstheim and pretty much get my arse kicked from Draugr DeathLords within the first quest I find. Back to the drawing board, I think  :lol: 

The new town looks great though, sort of reminds me of Mos Eisley. Looking forward to exploring the whole area.

Edited by nobler

Dragonborn is my plan for the weekend.

Haven't played Skyrim for several months now, but I'll be turning my phone off, closing the curtains, and playing a new character from Friday evening to Monday morning. Can't wait.

• 4 weeks later...

1.9 update is due at the end of the month, I believe. It introduces an extra hard difficulty (Legendary) and kind of removes the level cap. Once a skill gets to 100 you can reset it, re-level it, and re-distribute the skill points. Which is useful, I guess, if for example you level Smithing, make everything you want, then re-lelvel it but spend the points on Enchanting, for example. Lots of big fixes too ofc.

Sounds like a good excuse to start a new game with all the DLC loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know when patch 1.9 is hitting the PS3?

I have 100 Destuction and I am using that Master level shock spell like a ray gun, blitzing all comers, which is a waste of XP.

Â