Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

I started playing this late December and the past week is the first time that I have gone more than 24 hours without playing it. That's pretty good bang for my buck, so I am pretty happy with my investment.

It was great for a couple of months for me. I remember when I first got it I played it everyday for hours. I logged 200+ hours with 2 characters on skyrim. It just got pretty boring for me. I got my character to where I wanted stats wise my first time through but I got stuck with a glitch that didn't allow me to finish the story. I really wanted to finish the story mode so I had to restart because there was never a patch released which pissed me off like no other. Well I spent around another 60 hours just getting my character strong enough to even have a chance to kill alduin. Once I finished the story I really had no motivation to do much else like join the dark brotherhood, get all the shouts etc. I played a few weeks ago but I was just so bored.

Apparently a huge update is coming out soon but I have no clue when. I am looking forward to that. Probably get me playing for a little while again.

Same with me. Loved it at first and racked up 100+ hours dungeon crawling and levelling my character but then, as with most RPG games, I hit the wall. I think the story needs to grip you entirely and I found myself a bit bored by it. Once I had my character as powerful as I needed him I felt little need to complete the story.

Look at Mass Effect in comparison. By no means an out and out RPG but I felt compelled to finish it because of the gripping storyline. Done 1 and 2 (twice)and now can't wait for 3.

I think if you could mix the two you'd have the greatest game ever.

Same with me. Loved it at first and racked up 100+ hours dungeon crawling and levelling my character but then, as with most RPG games, I hit the wall. I think the story needs to grip you entirely and I found myself a bit bored by it.

^A thousand times this. I got as far in the main plot as learning Dragonrend, then being told I had to go back to Whiterun and I just felt like I really couldn't be arsed with it anymore. Did a fair few of the sidequests, had my character levelled up to beastishness, and just could not give a shit. Put it down, haven't picked it up in months. Moved onto Rage in the meantime, will probably start on Arkham City next.

You see I can play a couple of hours of Skyrim just wandering around the wilderness exploring an area of the map I've never really been to.

Although I agree in neither Skyrim, or Fallout 3 are the characters anywhere near as well written or performed as they are in New Vegas.

Considering people on VT have said they don't like Fallout 3, I'm going to say something here. I think Skyrim is very boring, It's a snoozefest of hitting draugrs with swords and wandering down mountains at impossible angles. Killing dragons has lost its appeal and being a werewolf is a thankless role. The storyline is just OK, but the buildings all being the exact same on the inside is just silly looking. I'm done with the game for a while. I think I'll go back and restart Fallout 3. I got the goty edition for the PC and have some time on my hands. Let the dragons have Skyrim. A land full of complaining people and sanctimonious catmen. The world is better off without it

you bastard.

YOU............BASTARD!

:cry:

I'm at the same sort of place as those who have loved it but are now starting to ease it out.

I've done nearly all the main questlines, with just Dark Brotherhood to finish and then I think I'm out.

I'd be keen to hear recommendations for where to go next - never really done anything non-Fifa or Rockstar until this one. Part of me is tempted to go backwards and give Oblivion a go, but then I wonder if it'll be a let-down after Skyrim. And that I should just go all out for something else new.

What would people suggest?

GOD OF WAR TRILOGY.

It's action/ story driven and brilliant.

The only series of games I've ever played twice without having a multiplayer apart from MGS 1/2.

You can buy all three for about 25 quid now too.

I'm at the same sort of place as those who have loved it but are now starting to ease it out.

I've done nearly all the main questlines, with just Dark Brotherhood to finish and then I think I'm out.

I'd be keen to hear recommendations for where to go next - never really done anything non-Fifa or Rockstar until this one. Part of me is tempted to go backwards and give Oblivion a go, but then I wonder if it'll be a let-down after Skyrim. And that I should just go all out for something else new.

What would people suggest?

If you liked Skyrim you will like Oblivion. Both are superb. Dark Souls is another game i would highly recommend if youre looking for a big adventure type game.

Demon's Souls (PS3 only) or it's spiritual successor Dark Souls (both PS3 and Xbox 360) are great shouts but the games are considered incredibly tough so it depends on whether you play a lot of video games and considering you said you only really play the Fifa series and GTA games, I'm not sure if you'd like them so much. Maybe it's better to say that you'd get frustrated with them more than hate them.

I don't rate Rage so much, it didn't do much for me and isn't the solo campaign notoriously short? I also can't stand the God of War series but I hate hack and slash and hate QTEs even moreso so it's not a good combination for me.

Oblivion is obviously very similar to Skyrim but it looks dated now, and I think if you've played Skyrim first then you might be a bit disappointed with it. It might be worth giving Fallout 3 a go though if you like those sorts of games. People also rave about Borderlands as an alternative to Fallout 3 so that could be worth looking at too.

However if I had to recommend just one series of games it would be the Arkham series of Batman games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. That is of course assuming you're a Batman fan in some capacity, which let's face it, everyone should be.

Mass Effect ! :D PS3? Valkyria Chronicles! It's a kind of turn based strategic 3rd person shooter RPG set in an alternate WWII era mainland Europe, with a handrawn/anime art style which is just gorgeous. One of the best games on PS3 and not one that seems to get an awful lot of praise

Yeh, havent touched Skyrim for a good couple of months. Just stopped playing it. Like so many other games, it just happens when you get something new, doesnt it? Might get round to starting it again some day, never did finish the main story

Considering people on VT have said they don't like Fallout 3, I'm going to say something here. I think Skyrim is very boring, It's a snoozefest of hitting draugrs with swords and wandering down mountains at impossible angles. Killing dragons has lost its appeal and being a werewolf is a thankless role. The storyline is just OK, but the buildings all being the exact same on the inside is just silly looking. I'm done with the game for a while. I think I'll go back and restart Fallout 3. I got the goty edition for the PC and have some time on my hands. Let the dragons have Skyrim. A land full of complaining people and sanctimonious catmen. The world is better off without it

I agree to a certain extent, I enjoyed it for about 30 hours or so but the lack of a gripping story just meant that I quickly lost interest. I don't think it's half as bad as you seem to think it is though.

I agree that dragon-killing is a real nuisance, I just want to be a nice normal bounty hunter, not some "Chosen One" type messiah, isn't that what an open-world game should be about? The storyline is dead boring, and the romances...........well, they are just laughable, to say the least.

But the environments look gorgeous.

I don't rate Rage so much, it didn't do much for me and isn't the solo campaign notoriously short?

:puke:

Rage is hands-down the greatest waste of gaming money I've ever bought. The definitive "go here, fetch shit, go back ad infinitum" snoozefest.

Rumours of an Elder Scrolls MMO.

Gamespot

What we heard: The tipster told the site that an Elder Scrolls massively multiplayer online game is in development and that Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda will officially announce the project this May.

The site's source suggests the Elder Scrolls MMOG--to be titled Elder Scrolls Online--will be set an entire millennium before November's Elder Scrolls V: Skryim. This timeline would put the new game "several hundred years" in front of any Elder Scrolls game. This information was substantiated by two additional sources speaking to the site.

An Elder Scrolls MMOG is on the way, according to a source.

Additionally, the source says Elder Scrolls Online will sport three playable factions. Details are thin concerning these roles, but the tipster said each will be represented by animals: a lion, a dragon, and an unspecified bird of prey.

On top of an official announcement in May, Elder Scrolls Online is "likely" to have "some sort of presence" at the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo. A showing at August's QuakeCon--put on by Bethesda--is also believed to be planned.

It's been no secret that Bethesda and parent publisher Zenimax are building an MMOG. There are presently 38 open positions at Zenimax Online Studios, all related to work on an "unannounced massively multiplayer online game."

No word has come through official channels regarding the project at Zenimax Online Studios. Last month, Bethesda reclaimed the Fallout MMOG rights from Interplay after years of litigation. Under the terms of the deal, Bethesda is able to develop an MMOG set in the Fallout universe.

The official story: A Bethesda representative told GameSpot, "We don't comment on rumors."

Bogus or not bogus: Not bogus that Zenimax Online Studios is creating an MMOG and the Elder Scrolls series seems a strong fit for such a game. The franchise is known for its expansive environments, deep role-playing options, and emphasis on player investment.

As for a May announcement for Elder Scrolls Online, revealing the game during that month would give Zenimax and Bethesda momentum heading into E3 2012, scheduled for June.

Could be great, but I think I would have preferred something like a 4 player co-op if there even needs to be an Elder Scrolls multiplayer.

• 2 weeks later...

It is :P found it really addictive as an 11-year-old. Find it really horrid now though.

Anyway just brought it up because a Skyrim MMO sounds just like Runescape with better graphics.

Â