Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Gareth. Ireland came on and the Norwich player blew right by him for the cross which resulted in a goal. Although Hutton was yards out of position forcing Ireland to cover at RB. I was surprised Clarke or Delph didn't replace Petrov.

The Norwich goal summed his career up at Villa.

Lack of desire.

He had just come on, he isn't a defender but the effort put in was exactly as it has been whenever he plays, minimal. Half heartedly closes him down, basically just allows the attacker to cross it without actually having to do anything other than have a touch out of his feet. Dangled a leg out and hoped it was enough.

Just move him on.

To be fair to him he was covering Hutton who was out of position due to being fouled and we should have had a free kick for that.

And this explains the lack of effort, how?

The guys a passenger and we cannot afford such a luxury, even Bent is better at tackling back!

You see, I've got to disagree slightly here. I don't think he showed lack of effort at all, he showed that he is out of practice. The lad only seems to get a few minutes here and there, he'd started to look ok by the Wigan game having had a few games under his belt, now, a month later he's thrown back in.

I was sat in row 6 of C6 so saw his 'defending' and I was disappointed, but after that he was constantly running, he always wanted the ball and towards the end made a 40 yard run to try and support N'Zogbia (who made the wrong choice again). Although NZ did look quicker than previous games, which shows some improvement too.

He's not a defender, many attackers find that they are shit defenders, especially when they are still not playing regularly.

He's on a huge amount of money with years on his contract to burn, he has us over a barrell, he can just sit and earn his money if he wants, nobody else will pay him this much. Why don't we just support him, at least this way we might get some use out of him.

Bad defending yes, but it was his first 'contribution' (or non contribution) of the game.

Lack of desire.

He had just come on, he isn't a defender but the effort put in was exactly as it has been whenever he plays, minimal. Half heartedly closes him down, basically just allows the attacker to cross it without actually having to do anything other than have a touch out of his feet. Dangled a leg out and hoped it was enough.

Just move him on.

Spot on.

He wasnt great on Saturday in fairness.

Unforuntately for him, I see him moving down the CM pecking order every week with the likes of Bannan, Jenas and Herd all staking a claim to partner Petrov.

He and Delph will both need to prove they merit a place in the team.

Agreed - he was powderpuff for their goal but then that is his game. He struggles at the best of times to get a challenge in.

Its funny because when Hutton went forward I thought "oh nice to see him dropping in to cover" but then 2 seconds later I thought he may as well have not bothered.

He did get forward well and made a couple of nice passes. As you say he's dropping ever further down the pecking order so its difficult to see him ever getting the confidence he needs.

Unfortunately just as Beye's contract finally comes to an end we have gone and bought another squad player on mega bucks ....

Lack of desire.

Just move him on.

And you would have gotten the same half hearted tackle from David Silva or Samir Nasri in that position. They are small technical players and it's just not in their locker.

no desire makes u laff. there goal come from nzogbia losing the ball hutton being out of position. Warnock was more at fault than anyone on the pitch. Out of position let his man have an easy header at the back post. Too many people jump on the band wagon to have a go at ireland. What about when he ran the whole length of the pitch but nzogbia never passed him the ball. If he did pass him the ball and he scores does he go from having no desire to having lots of desire.

no desire makes u laff. there goal come from nzogbia losing the ball hutton being out of position. Warnock was more at fault than anyone on the pitch. Out of position let his man have an easy header at the back post. Too many people jump on the band wagon to have a go at ireland. What about when he ran the whole length of the pitch but nzogbia never passed him the ball. If he did pass him the ball and he scores does he go from having no desire to having lots of desire.

Absolutely this.

The trouble is, I really can't see Ireland winning over the doubters at Villa now unless he starts scoring a hattrick every other game while getting back for a few goal-line clearances/Bobby Moore style saving tackles at the other end. Just putting in good solid 7/10 performances with some nice passing and movement isn't going to cut it, sadly.