Stephen Ireland

Richard

My post on Norwich 2nd goal was criticised a lot and only just seen so would just like to add that in isolation, the incident itself isn't that bad but I just said it summed his Villa career up, all these incidents in isolation, all these performances, it's exactly the same. He 'nearly' scored, he 'nearly' threaded a pass through, he 'nearly' got onto the end of a cross. he 'nearly' made the tackle. He's always a second too late, when he really could show what he has, he's just never quite there. If things aren't going well for a player, the least you can then expect from a player is full commitment. That is not to say that other players aren't at fault for the goal, such as free header back post, Hutton out of position but this is the Ireland thread and concentrating solely on his contribution, he might not be good at defending, that's fair enough but he didn't really have to defend, all he had to do was show a desire, hard work to be sharper, close down quicker and try to block the cross. We weren't talking about Nani dazzling him with step overs and tricks, we're talking about Grant Holt simply taking a touch inside and crossing the ball without any sort of pressure.

All these type of incidents, every single game, there's incidents where if he shows more heart, more willingness to succeed then he may score, he may create a goal, he may get an applause from the crowd for hard work and winning the ball back.

There is no 'whatever happens, he will get criticism' about it. He gets my criticism because I believe he deserves it. If he starts scoring goals, making goals and playing well, I will love him. It's simple.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ok the OS/McLeish has got it covered.. well sort of.

Before the match.... (pre match press conference)

McLeish also revealed a clean bill of health, apart from Eric Lichaj [hip], Shay Given [hamstring] and Jermaine Jenas [achilles].

After the match (press conference/interview) :

Ireland has been ill with a virus all week and was still unwell this morning.

"Stevie has been ill for four or five days. He was still on his sickbed last night."