Stephen Ireland

Richard

I labelled him a "rich mans Lee Hendrie", he may still turn out to be so and maybe it was because most the team last night looked woeful BUT I thought he looked good for a while there. Distribution was good, he was box to box at times all over the middle a genuine midfield player.

I think he tired in the second half and obviously needs games but thought he looked decent last night.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I labelled him a "rich mans Lee Hendrie", he may still turn out to be so and maybe it was because most the team last night looked woeful BUT I thought he looked good for a while there. Distribution was good, he was box to box at times all over the middle a genuine midfield player.

I think he tired in the second half and obviously needs games but thought he looked decent last night.

I agree. Showed his vision, range of passing and willingness to get forward early on but faded very badly. He'll be good for us. He just needs a little help from his team-mates while he finds his feet. Help he didn't get last night.

I think he was a class above last night, until he tired a little but like you say he does need games. He is composed, skillful, and has a great eye for a pass. He definitely puts a shift in as well, he covered a lot of ground and tracked back well, and put in some good tackles and interceptions. Once all the shit settles down and we have a new manager I can see him and Young scaring the life out of opponents.

Yeah with a bit more fitness and with a couple of the players around him getting on his wavelength I think we may have a top player on our hands.

Only issue I have is we need somebody next to him who is prepared to sit and win that will allow him to play and won't have to come so deep.

Hendrie isn't a player I'd compare Ireland to at all.

Hendrie ran around a lot and couldn't pass a ball to save his life. Ireland is almost the opposite of that.

If we utilise Ireland correctly he could be a very good signing for us.

The lads looks quality and if played in the right system i'm sure he'll prove to be a big hit. Felt he has been underused at present and need to be higher up the pitch where his vision and one touch passing ability will make a difference.

Came deep a number of times last night to get the ball and had little or no outlet other than a short pass to Stan or Reo. Needs to recieve the ball in the 'gap' and spray passes from there. Reo-Coker was playing far to advanced for me and was caught on his heels on countless occasions.

He was definitely too deep! KM needs to stop bowing down to Young and stop playing him centrally, it is hindering our whole team and shape. It leads to the whole set-up being unnatural and unbalanced. It's so simple to see, and so frustrating!! Push Ireland up into the hole and Young back out wide to get at full backs! With NRC and Petrov deeper!

And there is your problem with KM. When I have seen the reserves, he is always stood up shouting at the players. A mate of mine played for him at Leicester City Reserves and got bollocked by him a couple of times. It looks like he can give it to soem what younger inexperienced players but is not willing to do it to the seniors.

Yep, definitely too deep. Liked his confidence to turn players and you can see he does'nt dwell on the ball. Once we start to play him in the right position he could create a lot of chances.

He certainly looked to have more about him than many other Villa players last night. I agree that he was played out of position and at times he and Petrov were too close to each other, almost colliding on occasion. Young should be out on the wing and NRC should play deeper. In time I think Ireland will prove to be a great signing.

I thought Ireland offered one of the few bits of encouragement. Great positional sense, but he is still a bit slow on the ball and needs to sharpen up his game after a rubbish pre-season.

I'm excited to see how he combines with Gabby of we can ever get a fit version of him on the pitch for 90 minutes.

I'll agree he has shown glimpses of real football vision and with better forwards we could really start to see the results in the future. However, I am more than disappointed with his defensive side of the game. He might still be a little bit rusty and perhaps not 100% match fit, given his lack of first team action but he needs to defend better, especially if he is to play that deep. He was all to often soft in challenges, mostly late in tackles and seemed just completely lost on how to defend properly. TBH our tactics last night didn't favor him and I don't think he should ever be played in that role.

Looked very comfortable on the ball with a great eye for an easy lay off or quick pass - would certainly do better playing in behind the striker instead of being wasted playing DM.

Can't see why we stuck with Young centrally - he was way too lightweight there and was better out wide.

Don't know why the management don't see it?!?!?!

I reckon this midfield would work well both attacking and defensively.

...............NRC.Petrov

Albrighton.Ireland.Young