Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was pretty good tonight. But two issues:

1. Nearly, nearly, nearly. He is never on time though.

2. Injure prone.

I still think we should sell him. He takes too much of the wage bill and has contributed very little.

Sell him to who?

He is on massive wages and has been football wise in the doldrums for last few years. I dont think theyd be clubs ceuing up for him.

We sent him on loan at Newcastle last Jan and dont think he ever played a game for them whilst we we're still paying his wages.

If Ireland were anyone else, they'd be getting slagged off after his performance last night, but because he's been SO awful, people are praising him for what was a pretty mediocre game, but an improvement for him... He had the ball at his feet 6 yards from goal with nobody near him, and he couldn't even control it, let alone get a shot off.

Ireland did exactly what he was good at last night. His passing was excellent, his running off the ball was good & he battled pretty hard. Deserved the applause when he went off, let's hope he can carry it on - we do have a superb Footballer on our hands.

McLeish said he was never going to last the game but the injury tweaked a bit earlier. Should be back soon. Let's get on side like VP did last night when he made that challenge and hopefully, he can come good, even if it is 16 months after he joined!

Ireland did exactly what he was good at last night. His passing was excellent, his running off the ball was good & he battled pretty hard. Deserved the applause when he went off, let's hope he can carry it on - we do have a superb Footballer on our hands.

McLeish said he was never going to last the game but the injury tweaked a bit earlier. Should be back soon. Let's get on side like VP did last night when he made that challenge and hopefully, he can come good, even if it is 16 months after he joined!

Agreed, when on form and playing well, he's the best/most technically gifted footballer we have.

Let's hope the penny has dropped and he's turned the corner.

As frustrating as he has been, we do have a gem on our hands, and I think if we sell him, it'll come back to haunt us. We just need to keep persevering with him, because his passing is just top draw! He's been out of regular football for so long, it's gonna take time for him to get through the niggling injuries.

As frustrating as he has been, we do have a gem on our hands, and I think if we sell him, it'll come back to haunt us. We just need to keep persevering with him, because his passing is just top draw! He's been out of regular football for so long, it's gonna take time for him to get through the niggling injuries.

I agree with all of this. He will come good again in his career, I can guarantee that. I can see it being soon. I hope he's fit for Stoke so can fit in there again.

The bit in bold is exactly what I've thought since people started slagging him off. He hasn't been amazing, but he's been effective at times. Hope everyone keeps getting behind him, he absolutely loved it last night. The support for him last night was really good to see as it was fully deserved. Shame he had to come off.

Agreed, when on form and playing well, he's the best/most technically gifted footballer we have.

I don't think he has the mental strength to make it. I don't think he was really injured last night. I think he feigned it 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure. Unfortunately.

I don't think he has the mental strength to make it. I don't think he was really injured last night. I think he feigned it 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure. Unfortunately.

WHAT!?!? :shock:

What the hell makes you say/think that?

Don't understand all the fuss around Ireland's performance from last night. It was good, but Bannan's was better when he came on. He played well enough to show that he should certainly be considered more often than he is, but I thought we improved with the introduction of wee Barry.

Don't understand all the fuss around Ireland's performance from last night. It was good, but Bannan's was better when he came on. He played well enough to show that he should certainly be considered more often than he is, but I thought we improved with the introduction of wee Barry.

agree

Hard to disagree with anyone on here both positive and negative.

I did think that was the best he has played for us last night. I think we don't have any choice but to persevere with him.

One thing he does better than anyone else is arrive late in box - trouble is right now its a millisecond too late. That could easily change with match sharpness/fitness and then he could turn into the asset he is supposed to be.

But on the other hand mate, Bannan only has to fart in the direction of goal and everyone wants to nosh him off!

Several things.

He's got the talent, yet he doesn't play and wasn't wanted by citeh. Yes, they've got better players, but what makes Milner a much better player than Ireland? His determination and will and mentality.

He goes to Newcastle and doesn't play because of injury, we're told.

Reports says he does well on the training ground, yet he doesn't play.

Add to that that we know he's a bit mental.

He shows very much the characteristics of the kind of player that got the talent but can't handle the pressure. In the swedish national team there's an expression for those kind of players that can't handle it and feigns injuries to be relieved from the duty but keep their dignity intact. A lot more common than people might think.

Now, I don't say that its surely the case with Ireland, but I suspect it is. Or maybe he's the example I'm looking for since I was told about how common this si by a man who works with the mental bit at professional athletes. :) If so, he' the one who comes closest to it. Don't take it as gospel, though. ;) Just my thoughts.

Several things.

He's got the talent, yet he doesn't play and wasn't wanted by citeh. Yes, they've got better players, but what makes Milner a much better player than Ireland? His determination and will and mentality.

He goes to Newcastle and doesn't play because of injury, we're told.

Reports says he does well on the training ground, yet he doesn't play.

Add to that that we know he's a bit mental.

He shows very much the characteristics of the kind of player that got the talent but can't handle the pressure. In the swedish national team there's an expression for those kind of players that can't handle it and feigns injuries to be relieved from the duty but keep their dignity intact. A lot more common than people might think.

Now, I don't say that its surely the case with Ireland, but I suspect it is. Or maybe he's the example I'm looking for since I was told about how common this si by a man who works with the mental bit at professional athletes. :) If so, he' the one who comes closest to it. Don't take it as gospel, though. ;) Just my thoughts.

Thats fair enough mate, but he has struggled with injury since his arrival. Only time will tell i guess. In fairness, Ireland has been in and around the team when he's been fit. QPR, second half he was the best player on the pitch but then picks up a foot injury.

I think its just going to take time but imo he will come good.

But on the other hand mate, Bannan only has to fart in the direction of goal and everyone wants to nosh him off!

:lol:

Admittedly, I am a big fan of Bannan and often find myself in the nosh-queue!