Stephen Ireland

Richard

Ireland did exactly what he was good at last night. His passing was excellent, his running off the ball was good & he battled pretty hard. Deserved the applause when he went off, let's hope he can carry it on - we do have a superb Footballer on our hands.

McLeish said he was never going to last the game but the injury tweaked a bit earlier. Should be back soon. Let's get on side like VP did last night when he made that challenge and hopefully, he can come good, even if it is 16 months after he joined!

Agreed, when on form and playing well, he's the best/most technically gifted footballer we have.

Let's hope the penny has dropped and he's turned the corner.

I don't think he has the mental strength to make it. I don't think he was really injured last night. I think he feigned it 'cause he couldn't handle the pressure. Unfortunately.

WHAT!?!? :shock:

What the hell makes you say/think that?

Several things.

He's got the talent, yet he doesn't play and wasn't wanted by citeh. Yes, they've got better players, but what makes Milner a much better player than Ireland? His determination and will and mentality.

He goes to Newcastle and doesn't play because of injury, we're told.

Reports says he does well on the training ground, yet he doesn't play.

Add to that that we know he's a bit mental.

He shows very much the characteristics of the kind of player that got the talent but can't handle the pressure. In the swedish national team there's an expression for those kind of players that can't handle it and feigns injuries to be relieved from the duty but keep their dignity intact. A lot more common than people might think.

Now, I don't say that its surely the case with Ireland, but I suspect it is. Or maybe he's the example I'm looking for since I was told about how common this si by a man who works with the mental bit at professional athletes. :) If so, he' the one who comes closest to it. Don't take it as gospel, though. ;) Just my thoughts.

Thats fair enough mate, but he has struggled with injury since his arrival. Only time will tell i guess. In fairness, Ireland has been in and around the team when he's been fit. QPR, second half he was the best player on the pitch but then picks up a foot injury.

I think its just going to take time but imo he will come good.

And that's quite often the issue with these players. They're good one game, then they feel the pressure and can't take it so they get "injured". Again, not saying that this absolutley the case when it comes to Ireland, but he shows the symptoms, sts. And there's been too many now, I think. But I hope I'm wrong cause we have a talented player at our hands that many just hope will get up and show what he can do. That player can add a lot to many teams in the PL.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But on the other hand mate, Bannan only has to fart in the direction of goal and everyone wants to nosh him off!

I like Bannan but like the young players he gets extra protection from fans that "outsiders" like Ireland and N'zogbia dont get.

Personally think all 3 could play together with gabby and Bent but whether Eck has the balls to do so is another thing. Didnt all 5 start vs Wigan?

I thought he played very well last night. He worked hard and was involved in a lot of our threatening play. However, he was always just a bit off - a bit late for a crossed ball into the box, a bit too heavy on the touch, etc. - and I think it's all to do with the fact that he is sorely lacking in match fitness. He hasn't had a run of games (has he even played a full 90 in the last 12 months?) in two or three years now. I hope he continues to keep his head up and stays in the team, because he has talent, and we sorely need it at the moment.

You dont even know if its lit, he's clearly posing for the photo especially wearing those fetching snakeskin trousers. I've also seen a clip with Alan Smith saying if the lads do want a drink they should have red wine preferably a Merlot.

Paid all that money to keep in physical peak and smokes.

Its not as rare as you may think, I seem to recall seeing Martin Laurson smoking occasionally. Provided you're not smoking like a chimney, unsure if the effect is that awful...

Its not as rare as you may think, I seem to recall seeing Martin Laurson smoking occasionally. Provided you're not smoking like a chimney, unsure if the effect is that awful...

Despite the risk of sounding gay I thought he looked in quite good shape in that photo :shock:

Despite the risk of sounding gay I thought he looked in quite good shape in that photo :shock:

Hmmmm...

as much as i think that sports personalities shouldnt smoke, its abviously up to the individual, you cant stop them smoking, drinking or eating takeaway food, although it wouldnt go a miss if they actually considered their fitness away from 'work'

The man is a complete dick.

a HUGE amount of footballers smoke. off the to of my head berbatov, barry and rooney all smoke

it doesnt make much of a difference to someone who puts in the training that these guys do, it's only when they stop that itll come home to roost