Stephen Ireland

Richard

This is crazy, how in God's name is Norwich's 2nd goal in any way shape or form Ireland's fault!? Nothing to do with Morrison being unchallenged at the far post was it?

The witch-hunt continues. Another thread to add to the ''fountains of shite being spouted'' pile.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, their goal came from a blatant foul on Hutton towards the half way line. Ireland made some effort to cover him, but the goal itself was as a result of any number of things. Really should have been NZogbia's man anyway.

That said, Ireland was outshone by Jenas during the closing stages.

This is crazy, how in God's name is Norwich's 2nd goal in any way shape or form Ireland's fault!? Nothing to do with Morrison being unchallenged at the far post was it?

The witch-hunt continues. Another thread to add to the ''fountains of shite being spouted'' pile.

It was some pathetic defending for that goal and if you think it was just the back post defenders fault I'd suggest you don't understand the game as well as you think you do.

The ball should never have been delivered with such accuracy, that goal should have been cut out well before it ever reached the back post.

He may not be a defender but it was a poor effort. When I first saw the highlights I had assumed it was Hutton (bald head, right back) and was about to give him grief for that goal but realised it was Ireland so he has to shoulder some of the blame instead (I assume Hutton was out of position as well?).

Look at Warnocks reaction to Morisons goal and you will know who's at fault....the Ireland haters on here are pathetic, clutching at straws blaming the kid for everything and nothing, dreadful.

It was some pathetic defending for that goal and if you think it was just the back post defenders fault I'd suggest you don't understand the game as well as you think you do.

The ball should never have been delivered with such accuracy, that goal should have been cut out well before it ever reached the back post.

He may not be a defender but it was a poor effort. When I first saw the highlights I had assumed it was Hutton (bald head, right back) and was about to give him grief for that goal but realised it was Ireland so he has to shoulder some of the blame instead (I assume Hutton was out of position as well?).

I saw the same game as you did and saw the same goal incident as you did, ive played at a high enough standard for x amount of years, so i think my understanding of the game is pretty much there.

Granted, the first rule of a full-back is...stop the cross. The cross does'nt come in, the chance is never created, that much i agree. But lets not forget Stephen Ireland isnt a full back, he's an attacking midfielder, so to put the blame on his shoulders is way out of line. It was Warnocks man at the back post, if he cant deal with it by getting goal side, if he's been dragged out of position, all he does is call to Dunne or Collins to deal with it. You see a cross might be coming in, scratch that, you see the ball is in a wide position, you get goal side of your man, touch tight. Simple rules of defending, even if you cant win the header, you put enough pressure on the attacker so that it is not an easy chance to cobert. Ok, Ireland didnt stop the cross, but if Warnock is doing his job, or passes his man on to Dunne or Collins, we win the game 3-1. Im sorry, but a free header at the far post is criminal at any standard let alone the best league in the world.

I can guarantee it was'nt Stephen Ireland who took the brunt of the bollocking of McLeish. Warnock is on the left and has the best view out of all the defensive line, its down to him to give information to the central defenders if he cant deal with it.

Look at Warnocks reaction to Morisons goal and you will know who's at fault....the Ireland haters on here are pathetic, clutching at straws blaming the kid for everything and nothing, dreadful.

Its also annoying how Hutton gets blamed for being out of position, or for those he didnt see it assume he was out of position. Yes he had gone forward but he didnt lose the ball the guy was clearly fouled.

Also sometimes when the game gets open like that at the end and players are tired space will open up and whilst maybe Warnock could have done better the ball put in was a very good one and hard to defend. People are always looking for someone to blame.

I saw the same game as you did and saw the same goal incident as you did, ive played at a high enough standard for x amount of years, so i think my understanding of the game is pretty much there.

Granted, the first rule of a full-back is...stop the cross. The cross does'nt come in, the chance is never created, that much i agree. But lets not forget Stephen Ireland isnt a full back, he's an attacking midfielder, so to put the blame on his shoulders is way out of line. It was Warnocks man at the back post, if he cant deal with it by getting goal side, if he's been dragged out of position, all he does is call to Dunne or Collins to deal with it. You see a cross might be coming in, scratch that, you see the ball is in a wide position, you get goal side of your man, touch tight. Simple rules of defending, even if you cant win the header, you put enough pressure on the attacker so that it is not an easy chance to cobert. Ok, Ireland didnt stop the cross, but if Warnock is doing his job, or passes his man on to Dunne or Collins, we win the game 3-1. Im sorry, but a free header at the far post is criminal at any standard let alone the best league in the world.

I can guarantee it was'nt Stephen Ireland who took the brunt of the bollocking of McLeish. Warnock is on the left and has the best view out of all the defensive line, its down to him to give information to the central defenders if he cant deal with it.

Exactly this! In my philosophy these are the shares of blame (from high to low):

1. Left back, who did not mark the scorer (childish error, not for the first time)

2. Right back out of formation shape (out of shape both for attack and defend)

3. Cross stopper covering RB position did not stop the ball

4. Ball loser, who lost the ball

Just watched the replay of the Norwich game, IMO Stephen Ireland played well. Ok, Norwich 2nd goal wasnt the best defending in the world but other than that he did well. If N´zog would have squared the ball for Ireland he would have been one on one with the keeper.

Its also annoying how Hutton gets blamed for being out of position, or for those he didnt see it assume he was out of position. Yes he had gone forward but he didnt lose the ball the guy was clearly fouled.

Also sometimes when the game gets open like that at the end and players are tired space will open up and whilst maybe Warnock could have done better the ball put in was a very good one and hard to defend. People are always looking for someone to blame.

Yes it was a good ball but Warnock has no idea where Morison is because he's only concentrating on Pilkington crossing the ball and looses him. Starting at 1:14 you can see him checking back and seeing Morison but then doesnt follow him but only the ball, schoolboy error that is. It's also not the first one we've conceded with a cross to the back post, Warnock is awful at it.

no desire makes u laff. there goal come from nzogbia losing the ball hutton being out of position. Warnock was more at fault than anyone on the pitch. Out of position let his man have an easy header at the back post. Too many people jump on the band wagon to have a go at ireland. What about when he ran the whole length of the pitch but nzogbia never passed him the ball. If he did pass him the ball and he scores does he go from having no desire to having lots of desire.

Absolutely this.

The trouble is, I really can't see Ireland winning over the doubters at Villa now unless he starts scoring a hattrick every other game while getting back for a few goal-line clearances/Bobby Moore style saving tackles at the other end. Just putting in good solid 7/10 performances with some nice passing and movement isn't going to cut it, sadly.

Spot on guys. 100% agree. Sadly because there are so many that want to criticise him at every opportunity I doubt we will see the best of him in a Villa shirt.

^ Wait what? because people are criticising him we'll never see the best of him in a Villa shirt? are you serious?

Just putting in good solid 7/10 performances with some nice passing and movement isn't going to cut it, sadly.

Interesting, we had a midfielder who did a similar thing (on a far more effective note) and yet on here people were quick to jump on his back despite being more involved than Ireland has ever been in a game.

Anyway, Ireland will probably start to perform in his last year of his contract.. he shouldn't have come on against Norwich silly mistake by the manager too.

I haven't given up on him!

A midfield of Herd, Ireland, Jenas, Nzogbia and Gabby if we go 4-5-1 has lots of goals in it IMO. That said, Petrov is virtually nailed on for a starting place it would seem.

Petrov has been our most consistant performer this year and looks solid in the midfield. It would be ludicrous to drop him for Ireland who is the most inconsistant performer this year. I wouldn't drop Heskey for Ireland!

I haven't given up on him!

A midfield of Herd, Ireland, Jenas, Nzogbia and Gabby if we go 4-5-1 has lots of goals in it IMO. That said, Petrov is virtually nailed on for a starting place it would seem.

Petrov has been our most consistant performer this year and looks solid in the midfield. It would be ludicrous to drop him for Ireland who is the most inconsistant performer this year. I wouldn't drop Heskey for Ireland!

Petrov has been excellent for us for a good number of years now, its laughable how many people on here have a problem with him! We do not currently have a CM in our squad that I would start over Stan

he needs to go, preferably in January and bring Beye with him. Hopefully the likes of QPR will be splashing the cash in Jan and we should cut our losses now, supplement their salary if needed but its gotta be better then paying them a fortune to stay and do nothing.

Needs to be played (which looks unlikely) or loaned out to attract interest and gain some form, even if we pay 90% of his wages. West Ham or a team like that, high profile. Not to sure who he played with at City (when he was ok) or who, may be worth looking at why he was good and what or who changed.

Its either that or the lad has issues that are not being disclosed or aren't yet known, ie gambling, drugs or perhaps both....all IMHO

Who's going to buy a guy who's done fuckall for about 3 years on £60k a week? It's easy to say get rid, I would love it, he's a very poor player on a ridiculous wage.

Agreed, we are going to find ourdselves in the same position as Beye and paying a useless idiot to sit in the stands for silly money because he won't take a pay cut. He doesn't even seem to care what damage he is doing to his own, already poor, reputation?