Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

I don't mind Talksport either. I'd rather listen to that, than radio 1 etc

I remember Durham praising Villa a month or so ago, saying that the route that we're now going down, is what all English clubs (bar the Top 4/5) should be doing, and how he hoped that we survived relegation.

Oh yeah, Weimann..

I knew he would sign. I never had any doubts in my mind.

Is it just me then who doesn't think he's THAT good yet? I love him to bits, I'm pleased he's signed an extension and he has massive potential. But... He's a bit headless at times and whilst his first touch is sublime his second lets him down fairly regularly.

He's good for us and we're good for him.

• Like 1

Is it just me then who doesn't think he's THAT good yet? I love him to bits, I'm pleased he's signed an extension and he has massive potential. But... He's a bit headless at times and whilst his first touch is sublime his second lets him down fairly regularly.

Not at all. He is very raw. However, from day 1 he was one of the very few who has come through the academy and has gone on the pitch to do more than just look lively.

I really don't see anyone saying he is THAT good. We know we will get 100% from him which is more than you can say for many Villa players of the last few years.

• Like 1

I agree, I love him too and think he was one of our better players this year but he still has a lot to improve on (as you'd expect form a 21 year old). I'm very happy that he'll be doing it with us.

As a footballer he isn't the best technically, his link up play is improving but still distinctly average and he hasn't got blistering pace. But he is just so important to us and how we play. You can easily make out a case he is more vital to us than Benteke is. What Andi brings is just pure directness and dynamism and it is his clever runs which gives Benteke and Gabby space. He has fantastic movement, I think back to Gabby's first goal against Norwich, as Gabby was making the run at the heart of the Norwich defence Weimann made a clever run across a defender, closest to Gabby forcing him out of position. This gave Gabby time and space to get a clean shot off at goal. Weimann does this constantly, he is just so busy and lively and I am made up that he has signed an extension. 

As a footballer he isn't the best technically, his link up play is improving but still distinctly average and he hasn't got blistering pace. But he is just so important to us and how we play. You can easily make out a case he is more vital to us than Benteke is. What Andi brings is just pure directness and dynamism and it is his clever runs which gives Benteke and Gabby space. He has fantastic movement, I think back to Gabby's first goal against Norwich, as Gabby was making the run at the heart of the Norwich defence Weimann made a clever run across a defender, closest to Gabby forcing him out of position. This gave Gabby time and space to get a clean shot off at goal. Weimann does this constantly, he is just so busy and lively and I am made up that he has signed an extension. 

Yes I have noticed this as well. His constant movement off the ball is his biggest strength for the team.

His workrate is as good as Holman's, if not better - except for the fact that Weimann actually does have an end product to all his running and chasing. A very important addition to our first team. 

• Like 1

I think Andi is a perfect fit for a club like ourselves and a manager like Lambert and the way the team had been playing towards the back end of the season. We moved the ball too slowly and patiently I felt in the first half of the season for him to really show what he was all about, in fact I didn't like him as a player but the back end of the season with the way we've counter attacked and set up differently has shown his qualities and as poster above says, most of it is off the ball, willingness to help the team going forward and defensively. His and Gabby's natural desire to help the team defensively has allowed us to play with both of them higher up the pitch instead of dropping deeper and allowing the opposition to keep the ball for prolonged periods and it also means that every attack he's in support. Gabby usually carries with the ball, Benteke usually holds his position while Weimann stays on the fringes of attacks with runs off the ball to create the space for others. In fact, the less he's on the ball the more useful he is. (slightly harsh but meant as a compliment!) 

I don't see why he'd want to leave and I'm glad he's signed a new deal and hopefully his desire and hunger stays exactly the same because that's what his game thrives on. Maybe improvements to his overall game and another good season or two, better teams may look at him but as a breath of fresh air he's been, I still think he has a certain level because his overall technical game isn't good enough but I do think he's perfect for what we've been doing.

I think at the end of this season he started getting tired and faded, so fitness is going to be everything as he moves into working out like a regular first team Premier League player. That will make all the difference.

http://t.co/N5RRzrXUes

Weimann Week: STATS - Austrian ace a major influence in 2012-13
Statistical look at Andreas Weimann's 2012-13 campaign.
13th Jun 2013

0,,10265~11506600,00.jpg

As part of Andreas Weimann Week, stats experts at WhoScored.com, offering the largest online database for detailed football statistics, analyse the influence that the forward had at Villa Park last season.

It was quite a breakthrough campaign for Weimann in the claret and blue under Paul Lambert, capped with the Supportersicon1.png Young Player of the Year gong, and this week a new three-year contract at the club.

The Austrian began to have an impact on the senior squad last year, starting five league matches from 14 appearancesicon1.png in total, but he has become a key player under the new management and is relishing life in the first team.

Weimann announced himself on the big stage with a brace against Manchester United earlier in the season and picked up many admirers for his tireless work and willing running, particularly from the wing.

Ending the season with seven league goals, only top scorer Christian Benteke had more shots per game than the 21-year-old (2.1), while he also picked up two assists from a total of 23 chances created.

Playing the majority of his football from wide areas this season, he managed a respectable 79.5% pass accuracy, with his ability to pick a pass evident in the final third.

Weimann completed more accurate through balls than any other teammate (7) and of the 46 Premier League players to attempt at least 10, he had the third best accuracy (70%).

His direct approach and pace proved to be a real handful on the counter attack, with only five players having more efforts on the break than the young forward (8), while only Manchester Citystrikericon1.png Edin Dzeko scored more goals from such situations.

Elsewhere, Weimann's work rate was apparent for all to see and he certainly didn't shirk his defensive responsibilities.

In fact, of the 31 Premier League players to start at least 20 games in either an advanced position on the wing or up front, the Villa man made the most interceptions per game in those matchesicon1.png(1.71).

However, the most impressive statistic regarding the Austria international revolves around his influence on the team's results.

Villa won 10 of the 26 league matches that Weimann started in the 2012-13 campaign (38.5%) but were unable to secure the three points in any of the 12 matches that he was not on the field from kick-off.

That positive impact on a team's win ratio was the largest of any playericon1.png in England's top flight, which is the greatest indication of the youngster's importance to the side.

0,,10265~12005116,00.jpg

Paul Lambert's men netted 1.5 goals per game in the matches that Weimann was in the starting XI this season, compared to just 0.67 when he wasn't.

While Benteke was grabbing the headlines for his fantastic return of nineteen league goals, Weimann was proving crucial to a fluid front three formed in the second half of the season.

In turn, the news that the striker has now signed on the dotted line was music to everyone's ears at the club, and a signal of intent to say that the most promising young players will be staying put.

Find yet more statistics on Aston Villa and the rest of the Premier League, including live in-game data and unique player and team ratings at WhoScored.com. Follow @WhoScored and their editor-in-chief @martinlaurence7 on Twitter.

Snap up your season tickets for 2013-14.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If you're looking for a dependable opinion on Weimann...

Heskey backs phenomenal Weimann for success at Aston Villa

The former Villa Park striker recalls how the 21-year-old shone as a youngster and expects the Austrian's burning desire to improve himself to bear fruit in the seasons to come

Former Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey has hailed Andreas Weimann as a "phenomenal" talent and backs the forward to continue his improvement next season.

The 21-year-old netted seven goals in 30 Premier League appearances last term as Paul Lambert's side avoided relegation with a 15th-placed finish.

Heskey, who spent three years at Villa Park, recalls that Weimann shone throughout the youth system and believes that the Austrian is destined for success

"Andi's work ethic is unbelievable. The lad is non-stop running. That's very noticeable. You see it in every second of every game," the Newcastle Jets striker told Villa's official website.

"Out of all the lads there when I was there, of the young lads, he was the best finisher. He found the net time and time and time again. He was phenomenal.

"He was natural but he also worked hard on the training pitch too. It was 50-50 talent and training. If you add those two qualities together, you've got success.

"He always wants to learn, too. He always listens to the coaches and has a real desire to get better and better with his game. That's fantastic to see."

I think he gets a bit overwrought in some games and lets his very great commitment carry him away a bit. He needs to learn to keep his cool a bit more.

Fortunately these are things he will get better at with more experience.

Edited by briny_ear

I think that the areas currently missing from his game can either be coached into him or learnt from experience - his decision making was often hit and miss last season but that was largely down to his age IMO. He's got a lot of potential and a good future with us.

Â