Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

I must say I like the blend of our front 3 and the midfield of Sylla-Westwwod- Delph also complements.

this could be a season where we surprise a few and the crux of it all is that these lads are still improving.

Will be an interesting season....just hope we can get through the first 3 games without being mauled as we still are WIP.

• 2 weeks later...

Andi might be starting as a central striker in Austria's friendly against Greece tomorrow. When asked in an interview [in German] he said he is ready to play the main man up front for Austria and hopes he can bag his first goal for the national team. 

I didn't see Austria play but did he play centrally up top? I know some people say that Weimann's natural position isn't as a wide forward, but with his skill set I believe that is where he will always be most successful. Gives him the opportunity to utilize his intelligent movement and make untracked runs when the focus is placed on another attacker such as Benteke. I definitely expect him to get at least 10-15 league goals this season.

Edited by LockStockVilla

Austria just lost to Greece. Disappointing performance from Andi. A little lacklustre - Not the Weimann we know and love.

No problem. All international football is terrible. I would hope all our players do bugger all and get subbed off before injury.

Austria just lost to Greece. Disappointing performance from Andi. A little lacklustre - Not the Weimann we know and love.

Actually he been like that since the latter stages of last season - Wasn't great in the malaga friendly either.

I hope we dont put too much pressure on him if he does start a little slow in the 1st three games..if after that he still doesnt improve Lambert should get him in the bomb or loan him out to Small Heath

Actually he been like that since the latter stages of last season - Wasn't great in the malaga friendly either.

..and yet he combined with Benteke greatly in pre-season and scored an absolute gem against Crewe. I don't think this can be put down to bad form since last season.

• Like 1

No player is great every time they play, especially young players.  We should expect some inconsistency with Weimann he's only had one proper season in the prem.  Personally I think he needs a partner up top, he is not  lone striker.

Think with the Tonev/Helenious/Bacuna signings Weiman will not play every game. This will probably be beneficial as it means he may be less likely to suffer burn out, and therefore be able to continue his large work rate in the games he does play. Competition for places may also mean he ups his performance level.

I didn't see Austria play but did he play centrally up top? I know some people say that Weimann's natural position isn't as a wide forward, but with his skill set I believe that is where he will always be most successful. Gives him the opportunity to utilize his intelligent movement and make untracked runs when the focus is placed on another attacker such as Benteke. I definitely expect him to get at least 10-15 league goals this season.

He did play centrally up top. The problem was both that he wasn't getting good deliveries and that he didn't seem to go above and beyond to fight for the ball and create chances himself. Worth mentioning though that the Greek defense has been solid for a couple of games now. Think they've gone quite a few games with clean sheets recently. 

Â