Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

He's been getting better and better each game - put in another great performance today alongside Westy. 

Lambert has done a great job helping him unlock his potential; I think he'll prove to be a very important player in the future.

If Delph continues this form and improvement he'll be in the England squad soon

I agree. I think he will be superb next season. I compared him to milner....he will become indispensable. The good thing is tho...he has more natural ability than milner has.

He's gonna be top

Hasn't scored or got an assist yet and key pass rate is low. Good defensive midfielder but in the Premier League he's not an attacking threat. That doesn't matter because he's a good defensive midfielder*.

*defensive central midfielder if you prefer.

So happy for him that he's finally shown his worth this season. Saw it in him when he came back from injury in the back end of Houllier's season. Looked excellent alongside Reo-Coker for a couple of games, and even at left-back. Was starting to worry for him last season as he just looked terrified under McLeish (maybe he used to chastise him for trying to run forward with the ball), and I thought that was it for him. Credit to him and partly to Lambert for finally bringing the best out of him.

• Like 1

So happy for him that he's finally shown his worth this season. Saw it in him when he came back from injury in the back end of Houllier's season. Looked excellent alongside Reo-Coker for a couple of games, and even at left-back. Was starting to worry for him last season as he just looked terrified under McLeish (maybe he used to chastise him for trying to run forward with the ball), and I thought that was it for him. Credit to him and partly to Lambert for finally bringing the best out of him.

I hope he gets back his confidence in the final third, he has cracking shot in him but that should come back by next season.

You can sometimes get too carried away with assists and other stats. It is what you see with your own eyes that's more important and Delph is looking a very good midfield player. The way he drives forward with the ball is something we haven't had for some time.  

You can sometimes get too carried away with assists and other stats. It is what you see with your own eyes that's more important and Delph is looking a very good midfield player. The way he drives forward with the ball is something we haven't had for some time.  

Delph drives forward and passes backward, negating the purpose of driving forward (to gain territory).

When he skips challenges it's entertaining to watch, but if there is no end product, key passes or goals, what's the point?

There is no reason why he can't drive forward and find a more effective outlet than someone behind him.

If there is no end product there is no point to the run. He risks turning over the ball - something he does much more than our other midfielders: 21 times in 19 matches. Turning over the ball in the middle of the pitch leaves us open to counter-attack.

He is our Interception King, and a good tackler, so I don't expect him to score goals to keep his place. There's got to be some end product to the runs though.

Edited by Con

One of the first names on the team sheet for me. This last few months he has been excellent. Yesterday he was comfortably the best midfielder on show just as he was the week before against Chelsea. Forming a cracking understanding with both Westwood and Sylla.

• Like 1

he will never get into the england set up (well i hope not anyway)

theres always going to be much better midfielders than him, (although i dont see what all the hype if over wilshire)

When he skips challenges it's entertaining to watch, but if there is no end product, key passes or goals, what's the point?

To get the ball into the attacking third and keep the ball? Is there nothing in that?

You're far too concerned with stats.

• Like 1

To get the ball into the attacking third and keep the ball? Is there nothing in that?

You're far too concerned with stats.

If that happens, that's the idea. Gain territory. That would be a successful run.

Problem is when that doesn't happen, the take-on fails and becomes a turn-over (giving the ball away) or he can't find an attacker and is forced to pass it back to the middle or defending third.

These runs have got to have an end product or the potential risk outweighs the potential benefit.

Edited by Con

Fabian Delph can be a really good defensive midfielder. He may not be the most talented in terms of ability or technique but he puts in a shift and does his best to protect the back 4 and has made the position his own. At the moment he is certainly the number 2nd midfielder that you would automatically put on the team sheet each week (behind Westy). Let's see who we bring in during the Summer for the midfield.

Â