Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

For the last few seasons he's been awful and that's being kind. I thought he had no future at the club, but the past few months he has prove me very, very wrong. He and Sylla provide great drive and energy in midfield and it leaves Weswood that space to help things tick along.

Having just seen Delph's stats for this game, it was a brilliant all round individual performance with tackles, interceptions and key passes, with some shots too.

Still improving and may not be in the team next year but who knows, with a long distance strike against Wigan he'll be unsellable.

If you watched the match, I don't know why you have to wait to see what the stats say to decide if it's a good performance or not. I didn't look at the stats and I could tell it was a brilliant all round individual performance. Just by watching him.

I lost count of the number of times he went past players & with such ease.

That for me was one of the best things about yesterday. His positive forward running gives us four in attack at any one time with Sylla and then Westwood holding. Very Dortmund-esque.

Hopefully a bit more encouragement and work on his shooting and we could have a real box to box midfielder on our hands.

And the lad is still only 23!  :o

Edited by sexbelowsound

These past few weeks he has gone from a player too scared to get forward, to one who gets forward but is too scared to shoot, to one who (yesterday) had a few decent pops. One of the great things he had at Leeds was his bursts from midfield, plus some cracking goals.

I lost count of the number of times he went past players & with such ease.

Yeah, he was just gliding past players for fun. Nice to have a central midfielder that can do that, can really open the game up

Reminds me a bit of Dembele in that respect.

That's ridiculous.

Dembele 82 kg 185 cm

Delph 60 kg  174 cm

It's literally impossible Delph to be like Dembele. We need another comparison.

I've suggested Ramires.

He reminds me of Wilshere. The way he gets past players, but has an edge. Obviously different ability levels, but yeah.

Wilshere has vision for the attacking pass. Delph doesn't have that. He runs forward, passes backwards.

He is similar to Wilshere in his ability to get passed players. Much better than Wilshere at the defensive side of the game.

Delph is now, with Lowton, in the top 10 at getting interceptions in the Premier League. He's got great anticipation.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

Edited by Con

Reminds me a bit of Dembele in that respect.

That's ridiculous.

Dembele 82 kg 185 cm

Delph 60 kg  174 cm

It's literally impossible Delph to be like Dembele. We need another comparison.

I've suggested Ramires.

Are you serious?

If he learnt how to shoot properly he would be an awesome player.

I'm sure Ramires, in League One, would score a hatful of screamers. Whether Delph can do it at the top level is another question. If he adds it to his game he will, on current form, be the best English DM.

Edited by Con

Said he needed  a fair chance, a decent run in our side after his two severe injuries and all the nibbles a few months back.
Pretty much got my head chopped off.

Look who's laughing now.

1 point for me.

HAHAHA

Said he needed  a fair chance, a decent run in our side after his two severe injuries and all the nibbles a few months back.

Pretty much got my head chopped off.

Look who's laughing now.

1 point for me.

HAHAHA

It's promising but you can't claim victory yet. The good run started without him. Player form goes up and down. There are still areas of his game that needs improvement. I agree if we "project improvement" and assess him on what we think he might become, rather than what he is now, then we have a top top player.

If he learnt how to shoot properly he would be an awesome player.

I'm sure Ramires, in League One, would score a hatful of screamers. Whether Delph can do it at the top level is another question. If he adds it to his game he will, on current form, be the best English DM.

He's not a DM

• Like 2

He's not a DM

He's listed as and plays like one. He has great defensive stats. Really great so the comparison with Ramires is reasonable.

Ramires would be wasted as DM in League One and probably would appear to be and used as a box-to-box threat.

Delph has consistently not showed he can replicate that attacking threat as easily in the Premier League. Defenders are too good and he doesn't know what to do when he gets stuck in traffic.

He runs forward, passes backwards.

Like Ramires, 5 goals a season should be the target for Delph.

Â