Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

With Sylla on team he's been given more freedom to go forward which has contributed on his great form. Our midfield trio seems to compliment each other very well, I hope they all can keep their form next season and we'll have very good midfield in our hands.

Delph's quite a complete midfielder really - he can do both defensive and offensive things pretty well. Lambert seems to have got him focused and not being as mental as he previously was (also see Joe Bennett) - which can only be a good thing. 

Delph's quite a complete midfielder really - he can do both defensive and offensive things pretty well. Lambert seems to have got him focused and not being as mental as he previously was (also see Joe Bennett) - which can only be a good thing. 

Where did you get the idea Delph can do "offensive things pretty well"? Not saying he can't improved there, but he's contributed no goals and assists, and relatively few key passes.

I would venture to suggest he is primarily a defensive player, and that is what earns him his stripes with Lambert.

Well Con, when you watch his all round game it has become apparent that he has an awful lot of drive and over the last couple of months seems more offensive orientated. 

A cracking player who I feel will will have a very good season for us next year.

I am glad he wasn't totally written off even when a large number of fans were very critical of him.

Well Con, when you watch his all round game it has become apparent that he has an awful lot of drive and over the last couple of months seems more offensive orientated. 

A cracking player who I feel will will have a very good season for us next year.

I am glad he wasn't totally written off even when a large number of fans were very critical of him.

I disagree. He has no goals or assists, and makes few key passes so is not likely to get many in a season. Where do you get the idea he is offensive orientated? You've not explained that.

Yes, I know he makes "runs" but surely you would agree an offensive player needs to do more than this.

I'm not criticising Delph for not being an offensive player, I'd have him in the team for what he's doing now. 

I disagree. He has no goals or assists, and makes few key passes so is not likely to get many in a season. Where do you get the idea he is offensive orientated? You've not explained that.

Yes, I know he makes "runs" but surely you would agree an offensive player needs to do more than this.

I'm not criticising Delph for not being an offensive player, I'd have him in the team for what he's doing now. 

He has one less assist and the same number of goals as the best crosser and set piece taker in world football. What more do you want?

On the loosest definition of an assist used by the fantasy premier league game Bannan has three assists, Delph still has zero. This is not bad for Delph, this just illustrates the point I'm making that Delph is a defensive player.

At least, that has been his role for us this season, and he has shown no signs of changing to a more attacking player. He's always made those runs, and runs alone don't an attacking player make.

Delph's runs are deceptive, provide an illusion of attacking intent but none of his 34 successful take-ons have materialise in any assists or goals.

Meanwhile 14 of his take-ons were unsuccessful, which means he gave the ball away cheaply, probably in the middle of the pitch where it is most useful for the opposition. If Delph can't make his runs count for us, they'll count against us and he better stop doing them.

You can sometimes get too carried away with assists and other stats. It is what you see with your own eyes that's more important and Delph is looking a very good midfield player. The way he drives forward with the ball is something we haven't had for some time.

Delph drives forward and passes backward, negating the purpose of driving forward (to gain territory).

When he skips challenges it's entertaining to watch, but if there is no end product, key passes or goals, what's the point?

There is no reason why he can't drive forward and find a more effective outlet than someone behind him.

If there is no end product there is no point to the run. He risks turning over the ball - something he does much more than our other midfielders: 21 times in 19 matches. Turning over the ball in the middle of the pitch leaves us open to counter-attack.

He is our Interception King, and a good tackler, so I don't expect him to score goals to keep his place. There's got to be some end product to the runs though.

How much 'end product' is on the end of Bannan's crosses, passes and set pieces?

Delph has more impact because he moves the play forward.

• Like 1

Delph has not been a greater attacking threat than Bannan. He's in the side for his defensive qualities, and I expect that to be his primary role in this division.

The way some of you are talking you'd think Delph was Neymar.

Delph has not been a greater attacking threat than Bannan. He's in the side for his defensive qualities, and I expect that to be his primary role in this division.

Bannan has been more of an attacking threat for Liverpool this year

I don't agree, he's in the side for much more than his defensive qualities. The assists and goals will come. He just needs to have a little more belief in himself.

• Like 1

I don't agree, he's in the side for much more than his defensive qualities. The assists and goals will come. He just needs to have a little more belief in himself.

You should expect some goals and assists from defensive players. Ramires has 5 goals this season. Three were against us!

Fact is, Delph has got zero of either despite being our 10th most-played outfielder in game time this season.

The idea that he can reproduce his Leeds highlight reel form, from Division One, where he scored 6 in 46 is over. In the Premier League defences are much better.

Â