Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

He's not a purely attacking player just like he's not a defensive one. Jeez, everything isn't black and white. 

You'd agree he's not an "advanced playmaker" then? I would be happy to call him a CM, with greater emphasis on the defensive aspects.

Well you do that then and we'll just get on with the rest of our lives.

I've had to eat my words of late because Delph has really improved (and he had to). Looking much more comfortable nowadays and has a 'good' all round game except goals, but still needs to improve his discipline. His position will be under threat next season if we choose an experienced head in the middle, as I think Westwood and Sylla do what they do better.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

Yeah I have to admit he's one of the hardest players to classify I've ever come across. Light as a feather, enjoys throwing himself into challenges. If he sticks to what he is good at, breaking up play and making interceptions he can be very effective. His attacking forays are not good though and that's a huge understatement. 

I've had to eat my words of late because Delph has really improved (and he had to). Looking much more comfortable nowadays and has a 'good' all round game except goals, but still needs to improve his discipline. His position will be under threat next season if we choose an experienced head in the middle, as I think Westwood and Sylla do what they do better.

Wholeheartedly agree!

Yeah I have to admit he's one of the hardest players to classify I've ever come across. Light as a feather, enjoys throwing himself into challenges. If he sticks to what he is good at, breaking up play and making interceptions he can be very effective. His attacking forays are not good though and that's a huge understatement. 

Delph has an impressive youtube highlight reel of goals at Division One level which encouraged us to believe he had more potential going forward.

I think we can put that idea to bed now after this season.

If you sent Ramires on loan to Crewe, he would score every week and we would think he was a box-to-box midfielder. In the Premier League, defences are much stronger so Ramires sparkles only at the defensive aspects and the attacking glory goes to players like Luiz and Lampard.

It's a great aspect of Delph's game that he is now 10th in the Premier League for interceptions. That is very valuable trait. He's obviously in the right place at the right time, quick to react and accelerate to pick up the loose ball, and nab the ball off players who have it. Much more potential than Westwood at the defensive part of the central midfield game.

In comparison to Delph, Westwood is a little sluggish at this. 

Edited by Con

He's great, not only at breaking it up, but bursting away from players and getting us onto the front foot quickly. His quality in the final third could be better but overall he's had a really decent campaign and is probably our most improved player.

• Like 1

If you sent Ramires on loan to Crewe, he would score every week and we would think he was a box-to-box midfielder. In the Premier League, defences are much stronger so Ramires sparkles only at the defensive aspects and the attacking glory goes to players like Luiz and Lampard.

Also convinced that Delph will start to show more composure and quality in the final third, really has been a breakthrough season for him.. Also to come back like this after the injuries he has had shows a certain level of mental fortitude..

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Ramires can chip in a few goals in the Premier League. Doesn't change the point I was making. In Division One Ramires would be scoring 38 a season. In the Premier League he can manage 5.

Can Delph score goals in the Premier League or will the best attacking move always be for Delph to pass the ball to an attacking player? 

What's exactly is wrong with what I've just said?

Delph hasn't scored in 60+ appearances. It's an obvious question mark whether he'll be able to play for us in the same style he did for Leeds, as an attacking player.

He's not in the team at the moment for his attacking play.

Ramires can chip in a few goals in the Premier League. Doesn't change the point I was making. In Division One Ramires would be scoring 38 a season. In the Premier League he can manage 5.

Can Delph score goals in the Premier League or will the best attacking move always be for Delph to pass the ball to an attacking player? 

this is silly, for somebody so engrossed in stats, i find stuff like this hilarious

EDIT: Also attacking play =/= goals and assists

If you actually watched the games, you'd see how many forward, positive runs Delph makes.

Edited by StefanAVFC

You're not supposed to take the 38 number literally. The point is, he'll score much more than he would do in the Premier League. More realistically that could be 15 a season instead of 5. It really doesn't matter what number you use to illustrate the point.

Delph:

0 goals

0 assists

18 appearances

= Defensive midfielder obviously

Bannan:

0 goals

1 assist

18 appearances

= Incredible attacking talent that could possibly play for a CL team next year.

And what about your assertion that Delph isn't an attacking player, when he makes tonnes of runs every game. Positive runs. Attacking runs.

I admit this makes him hard to categorise as a midfield player.

This trait is Delph's unique and interesting attribute as a defensive central midfielder.

How many other defensive CMs dribble?

Actually, there aren't any modern central midfielders who take on a man that I can think of. Lampard doesn't dribble. Gerrard doesn't dribble. Ramires certainly doesn't.

If we look at the most frequent dribblers in the Premier League they're almost all forwards, attacking midfielders, or wing backs.

The one exception is Diame, a DM. He's 5th, Delph's 17th. No other defensive central midfielders in the top 20.

IMO Delph has played mostly as box-to-box type of midfielder in the recent times and not just as defensive midfielder.

That is where his movement is but so far hasn't produced anything on the attacking side.

Tends to run forward then pass backward, making the run a bit pointless, and leaving himself out of position if we then lose the ball.

Good to see him shooting last weekend at the end of a run. These runs need to achieve something.

Â