Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

But neither Delph or Ramires are DM's.

What are they?

Do they really have to have a Football Manager assigned role?

If so, I guess I would go with Advanced Playmaker with their job role set to 'Support'.

However I wouldn't argue if somebody suggested a Box-to-Box Midfielder with job role set to 'Attack'.

If so, I guess I would go with Advanced Playmaker with their job role set to 'Support'.

However I wouldn't argue if somebody suggested a Box-to-Box Midfielder with job role set to 'Attack'.

Apparently I don't have the imagination to understand how Delph can be described as "advanced playmaker" or "attacking box-to-box midfielder".

Are you sure these are not roles you want him to play, rather than what he actually does?

Frankly, I'm staggered. I'd be willing to call him a CM, but if I was honest about what he's good at, it's the defensive part of the game.

Stephen Ireland is an advanced playmaker. Steven Gerrard is an attacking box-to-box midfielder. Delph does not fit the profile of either.

Delph might simply be completely unique and uncategorisable.

Defensive midfielder with a licence to roam?

I haven't seen the heat maps, but just from what I seem to remember seeing when watching the games, I'd say he was more box-to-box. I imagine a DM to sit in front of the back four andvery rarely venture forward, if at all. Delph has had some marauding runs forward this season, especially as of late.

I haven't seen the heat maps, but just from what I seem to remember seeing when watching the games, I'd say he was more box-to-box. I imagine a DM to sit in front of the back four andvery rarely venture forward, if at all. Delph has had some marauding runs forward this season, especially as of late.

I agree he doesn't 'sit' in front of the back four. I used the term DM because his better qualities are defensive: tackling, making interceptions, keeping the ball playing the simple pass.

He does carry the ball forward well (dribbling) which is an attacking quality you don't associate with DM play.

Unlike most regular CMs or AMs he doesn't have vision for the forward pass, which is more like a DM.  Bannan has best creative vision for the forward pass, Westwood can do it at least a bit (Norwich assist for 2 goal), Delph is worse at that out of the three.

Coutinho at Liverpool is the best example of a player with vision who can make great forward passes. Delph has not shown he is anything like Coutinho and Coutinho has not shown he is anything like Delph defensively.

The rule is: Delph runs forward, passes backwards. 45% of his passes are backwards according to Squawka, compared to 36% for Westwood and Bannan. Maybe he would score more goals if he ran forward and took a shot.

So he's either a CM or DM "with licence to roam". I still can't think of another player similar to Delph in stature for comparison.

The rule is: Delph runs forward, passes backwards. 45% of his passes are backwards according to Squawka

So the rule is he passes forwards more surely?

He does not pass forwards at the rate you'd expect for an attacking player. 

He's not a purely attacking player just like he's not a defensive one. Jeez, everything isn't black and white. 

You'd agree he's not an "advanced playmaker" then? I would be happy to call him a CM, with greater emphasis on the defensive aspects.

Â