Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Be here now has some great deeper cuts similar to definitely maybe, that's why I prefer them over morning glory. 

That whole Be Here Now tour where they were off their tits and Noel thought he was Slash must have been immense

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

id argue it was split over 3 richard ashcroft solo albums too...

he can pull a good setlist, he does the lot in his solo gigs

Yeah, I'd go along with that. 

Oasis have something in common with Queen and The Smiths - good little guitar band fronted by a total clearing in the woods of a lead singer. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I'd go along with that. 

Oasis have something in common with Queen and The Smiths - good little guitar band fronted by a total clearing in the woods of a lead singer. 

It helps to have a clearing in the woods as your lead singer though, especially in the 90s. Not a huge mercury fan although he was superb and I hate morrisey with a passion. 

The thing with Oasis is, they just wanted to put music out (largely) meaning whoever listened to it was having a good time.

There are countless interviews with Noel saying "Who wants to listen to music which makes you sad?" (paraphrasing) - The songs are never overly complicated, which gives them more "hooks" which make them memorable.

When I listen to Champagne Supernova or All around the World, it's 1998 and I'm in Newquay driving in dads car with the windows down or Chapel Porth beach, writing "All around the world" in the sand and replicating the single cover. 

There are very, very few other bands/artists which have that affect on me - which I don't like.  I wish I could enjoy music more, but nothing is more boring to me that sitting in a room, not doing anything and listening to music - unless it's Oasis. 

To be fair to Liam, I enjoyed a few of his Beady Eye songs like Wigwam and The Roller.

And I've really enjoyed some of Noel's solo work. 

I imagine they'll eventually do something together, but not for a few years yet.

Should probably stop talking about them now lol :mellow:

• Like 4

In fairness, I've seen that interview when the quote appears and it wasn't a "let's slag off Nirvana" tirade at all. I think Noel even referred to Cobain as a genius in the same instance. I believe it was part of the "stop the clocks" compilation.

It was more a personal view of the more positive message "live forever" has compared to that particular nirvana tune.

When Noel says it "changed everything", I believe he meant for Oasis rather than music as a whole.*

*Of course, he may well think it did change everything, but I don't think that's what he was saying there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

There are very, very few other bands/artists which have that affect on me - which I don't like.  I wish I could enjoy music more, but nothing is more boring to me that sitting in a room, not doing anything and listening to music 

Agree with this.

This is something I've never done. Music for me is always an accompaniment to something else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In fairness, I've seen that interview when the quote appears and it wasn't a "let's slag off Nirvana" tirade at all. I think Noel even referred to Cobain as a genius in the same instance. I believe it was part of the "stop the clocks" compilation.

It was more a personal view of the more positive message "live forever" has compared to that particular nirvana tune.

When Noel says it "changed everything", I believe he meant for Oasis rather than music as a whole.*

*Of course, he may well think it did change everything, but I don't think that's what he was saying there.

i think he say things along the lines of kurt being in the best band in the world and being unhappy because of the smack and he just couldn't understand it because he was aspiring to have what kurt had (think he says something like apart from courtney love)

live forever was the first commercially successful song for them so thats where changed everything came from

and music is a massive part of my life, ive knocked seeing bands on the head in favour of watching villa but still have mates who will do a couple of gigs a week, you cant beat finding a "new" band (my latest is creedance clearwater revival) i listened to loads anyway but spotify has amplified it, its constantly on in my house, i get ready in the morning with headphones in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I wish I could enjoy music more, but nothing is more boring to me that sitting in a room, not doing anything and listening to music

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree with this.

This is something I've never done. Music for me is always an accompaniment to something else.

Opposite for me. I'll play music in the car to have a bit of a listen when Radio 4 is having a rubbish day.

But at home, it's headphones on, sprawl across the floor on a beanbag and sink in to the warm orange liquid of zone out.

I can get myself all transcendental. There's a 1991 track by The Times about astral projection, it does it for me every time.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Opposite for me. I'll play music in the car to have a bit of a listen when Radio 4 is having a rubbish day.

But at home, it's headphones on, sprawl across the floor on a beanbag and sink in to the warm orange liquid of zone out.

I can get myself all transcendental. There's a 1991 track by The Times about astral projection, it does it for me every time.

If I did that I'd be asleep in less than a track.

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This for me every time.

Also, one of life's great pleasures is putting on the headphones and having a first listen to a new album by an artist / band you adore.

Love it.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

This for me every time.

Also, one of life's great pleasures is putting on the headphones and having a first listen to a new album by an artist / band you adore.

Love it.

This.

I also used to love when I was a teenager and people still bought CD's, walking into my local music shop first thing in the morning and picking up a new album from a band I love for the first time. Get home, play the album and admire all the artwork that comes with it. 

The magic of listening to a new album is somewhat lost now for me in the digital age. 

• Like 3

I get that magic, but I still always listen to it while doing something else. Usually driving.

Maybe that's why I don't ever like an album until I've listened to it a few times. Even with my favourite artists, after the first listen I always think it's average.

Just now, PieFacE said:

This.

I also used to love when I was a teenager and people still bought CD's, walking into my local music shop first thing in the morning and picking up a new album from a band I love for the first time. Get home, play the album and admire all the artwork that comes with it. 

The magic of listening to a new album is somewhat lost now for me in the digital age. 

Yep, popping up to ST Records in Dudley to pick up an American import i'd pre-ordered and then getting back home and playing it. Just great times.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I wish I could enjoy listening to a new album, but I usually find it a bit of a bore the first few times.

Me too, there aren't many albums that I've turned on and really got into them straight away.  Strangely Oasis related stuff is the only band I usually sit there and enjoy first time round mainly due to hearing Liam singing new songs, though eventually I start to realise that some of it is actually pretty weak over time.  Most other bands I have to work a bit harder with.  I guess that sums up Oasis's popularity.  I miss the days at school and college where I'd buy a new album each week not knowing what the **** I was buying rather than just being able to stream whatever I want whenever I want.

Â