Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On the contrary, I think 90's dance stuff sounds better now than it has for years. I remember a Dusty Kid Essential Mix a few years ago that started with 'Lush 3' by Orbital, it sounded absolutely vital. 

I didn't mean to suggest all 90s dance stuff.  Just some of it.

I agree that retro is particularly 'in' these days.  Hell, even 8-bit sounds and graphics are making a comeback.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On the contrary, I think 90's dance stuff sounds better now than it has for years. I remember a Dusty Kid Essential Mix a few years ago that started with 'Lush 3' by Orbital, it sounded absolutely vital. 

You may aswell be speaking in Japanese.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 22:19, Shropshire Lad said:

Another thing on this. In the '97 they had the world at their feet they release a comeback single over 7 minutes long, sampling helicopters & morse code in the intro and having a chorus that doesn't kick in until around two minute-thirty mark.

I'm struggling to think of many bands over the past 30 or so years who would have done that in their position. Charlie's influence or not ;)

I love that song. and love the sheer audacity of the third album. Its pure ego and cocaine. 

Have you heard the NG 2016 Rethink version of this song? 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 09:19, lapal_fan said:

The thing with Oasis is, they just wanted to put music out (largely) meaning whoever listened to it was having a good time.

There are countless interviews with Noel saying "Who wants to listen to music which makes you sad?" (paraphrasing) - The songs are never overly complicated, which gives them more "hooks" which make them memorable.

When I listen to Champagne Supernova or All around the World, it's 1998 and I'm in Newquay driving in dads car with the windows down or Chapel Porth beach, writing "All around the world" in the sand and replicating the single cover. 

There are very, very few other bands/artists which have that affect on me - which I don't like.  I wish I could enjoy music more, but nothing is more boring to me that sitting in a room, not doing anything and listening to music - unless it's Oasis. 

Great post pal. 

i don't think I will ever like a band as much as Oasis in my lifetime. They were 'my band' and always will be. Oasis to me means leaving school, pints in The Station in Sutton, long hot summers (although i'm sure that is not true!) and moving from being a schoolboy into being a grown up! I know it sounds corny but there you go.

I can listen to the first 3 albums (and The Masterplan) over and over again and not get bored. I'm a bit more ambivalent about their their later albums, but there are some decent tracks here and there. 

I'd recommend the Supersonic documentary as it captures the rise of the band to Knebworth. Noel says something towards the end, which encapsulated the era at the time. He said that back then (96), music seemed to mean more to people. It was the pre-digital age and pre-reality tv talent show age... better times IMO. I don't think another British band will ever be as big as they were again. Those days are over. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BOF said:

Look at the line-up for this festival in Cork back in 1995.  £45 for the 3 days.  Sweet baby Jesus.

ide9icd.jpg

You won't see anything like that again! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Great post pal. 

i don't think I will ever like a band as much as Oasis in my lifetime. They were 'my band' and always will be. Oasis to me means leaving school, pints in The Station in Sutton, long hot summers (although i'm sure that is not true!) and moving from being a schoolboy into being a grown up! I know it sounds corny but there you go.

I can listen to the first 3 albums (and The Masterplan) over and over again and not get bored. I'm a bit more ambivalent about their their later albums, but there are some decent tracks here and there. 

I'd recommend the Supersonic documentary as it captures the rise of the band to Knebworth. Noel says something towards the end, which encapsulated the era at the time. He said that back then (96), music seemed to mean more to people. It was the pre-digital age and pre-reality tv talent show age... better times IMO. I don't think another British band will ever be as big as they were again. Those days are over. 

Great documentary and a proper rags to riches story. We all know how talented Noel is but it also shows what a great frontman Liam was. Liam had a great voice too which was unique.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I love that song. and love the sheer audacity of the third album. Its pure ego and cocaine. 

Have you heard the NG 2016 Rethink version of this song? 

I have and I believe it was your post on here that first brought it to my attention. :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Look at the line-up for this festival in Cork back in 1995.  £45 for the 3 days.  Sweet baby Jesus.

ide9icd.jpg

Dance your tits off Saturday and Sunday! Great techno all round

19 hours ago, BOF said:

ide9icd.jpg

The original trip to tipp was held in my hometown ....We lived next to the stadium at the time ...The local TD/mp made sure all locals got free tickets ....Oh what a time to be alive 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Perhaps a bit of nostalgia as well? I'm no fan of dance music but certain songs take me back to my clubbing days in the late 90's and early 00's and always make me smile like an idiot :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BOF said:

Even whisper it quietly early Prodigy stuff is dated as fook now.

No Good is still an anthem :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BOF said:

Even whisper it quietly early Prodigy stuff is dated as fook now.

Disagree, their early stuff is still their best work.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I have and I believe it was your post on here that first brought it to my attention. :)

I think it adds to the original.

Noel was going to 'rethink' the whole album but couldn't be bothered and gave up after one song! 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Keeping on the Oasis love in, this always makes me laugh

On the new documentary 'supersonic ' the story where they were in America for the first time and they had a terrible gig and got off their heads on meth is funny. It's funny when Liam said yeah we had a fall out over it and I locked myself in my room doing lines of Meth then all of a sudden he sees a piece of paper slide under his door from Noel which read ' we can't go on like this' and he just picks the paper up reads it then rolls it up to snort more drugs with. 

• Like 1

Â