Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

a reunion will surely disappoint!

one thing for sure i'll be getting first night tickets...liam will be a mess on the 2nd

the amazing thing for me is when you start throwing in all the b sides, all the album tracks that ended up being really underrated, they've got a brilliant discography 

Post Be Here Now was just average... I do like the occasional song on SOTSOF, like Go Let It Out but the band starting going downhill when Noel started letting other people write songs! It was better when he ruled the band. 

The quality of some of the songs on The Masterplan is fantastic and would have graced any album. Amazing to think that Whatever, Acquiesce and the Masterplan were all left off What's The Story! 

• Like 1

For me, still the last "great" band. Certainly from this country anyway.

That's taking everything into account, the music, the characters, the story. 

Can't believe that's still the case considering it's been twenty years since they were at the peak of their powers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

Post Be Here Now was just average... I do like the occasional song on SOTSOF, like Go Let It Out but the band starting going downhill when Noel started letting other people write songs! It was better when he ruled the band. 

The quality of some of the songs on The Masterplan is fantastic and would have graced any album. Amazing to think that Whatever, Acquiesce and the Masterplan were all left off What's The Story! 

Who else has album tracks that are household names like Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova, She's Electric, Rock n Roll Star etc.

Nobody, that's who.

If they did another tour it would be utter carnage in the crowd, an absolute prick magnet (but I'd still go). I actually hope they don't though.

• Like 2

last two Oasis concerts I went to were shite ....Liam blew his voice ages ago ....but the two before were top notch ...one of the best concerts I ever went to Oasis @ lansdown road in 2000 Supergrass & happy mondays as support, yet oasis @slane 2009 were shite , kasabian and the prodigy better on the day  

Edited by Meath_Villan

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

a reunion will surely disappoint!

one thing for sure i'll be getting first night tickets...liam will be a mess on the 2nd

the amazing thing for me is when you start throwing in all the b sides, all the album tracks that ended up being really underrated, they've got a brilliant discography 

They have a lot of good songs. Yes Liam will be a mess but so will the other 70.000 people :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

For me, still the last "great" band. Certainly from this country anyway.

That's taking everything into account, the music, the characters, the story. 

Can't believe that's still the case considering it's been twenty years since they were at the peak of their powers.

There are much better bands to come out of this country but they were the last truly great band imo. True rock n roll stars.

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah the last tour i went to they were brilliant in cardiff but then liam had one on him in brum and they were shit

the only stadium i saw them in was etihad, absolutely incredible day

I saw them at the Etihad (or whatever it was called then) too.  Remember Doves supporting and thinking a bloke near me had died but he came round in the end.  I believe Liam and Noel are both releasing solo albums this summer so can't see them getting back together any time soon.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I saw them at the Etihad (or whatever it was called then) too.  Remember Doves supporting and thinking a bloke near me had died but he came round in the end.  I believe Liam and Noel are both releasing solo albums this summer so can't see them getting back together any time soon.

yeah it was, doves were brilliant too, very underrated band who i saw a couple of times on their farewell tour, i turned up early to meet some other people we knew, pretty sure the subways played too, i had that oasis gig, went in to manchester, went to 5th avenue, saw 4 girls having a piss race down the steps of i think the town hall, had the police quiz us on why we were in possession of a oil painting as we walked the streets (mate found it in a bin), about 7 of us stayed in a double bed hotel room taht was run by a bloke who was pretty much frank gallagher out of shameless, it was madness

i went to see coldplay in bolton the night after with elbow supporting, safe to say the pace of that night was a bit different

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Who else has album tracks that are household names like Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova, She's Electric, Rock n Roll Star etc.

Nobody, that's who.

If they did another tour it would be utter carnage in the crowd, an absolute prick magnet (but I'd still go). I actually hope they don't though.

Another thing on this. In the '97 they had the world at their feet they release a comeback single over 7 minutes long, sampling helicopters & morse code in the intro and having a chorus that doesn't kick in until around two minute-thirty mark.

I'm struggling to think of many bands over the past 30 or so years who would have done that in their position. Charlie's influence or not ;)

• Like 2

on that comeback...i cant believe they didnt release dont go away in the UK, i think it would be one of their biggest songs, it would have had the same widespread radio (heart fm etc) coverage that wonderwall, dont look back in anger and stop crying your heart out gets

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

<granddad>

Their songs all sound the same.

</granddad> 

True, that's why they only made 3 great albums. There are only so many times you can flog a dead horse although AC/DC seem to do very well.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

<granddad>

Their songs all sound the same.

</granddad> 

to be fair thats better than the usual music snobbery you get off people who dont like them when they claim they used very simple chords and stole everything 

they probably did...but thats not the point...

the verve were a better band musically than oasis 

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

True, that's why they only made 3 great albums. There are only so many times you can flog a dead horse although AC/DC seem to do very well.

Or (IMHO), they made one pretty good album, spread over three discs. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair thats better than the usual music snobbery you get off people who dont like them when they claim they used very simple chords and stole everything 

I agree about The Verve. One pretty good album, spread over two discs. 

Just now, villa4europe said:

A lot of bands stole music and that's not a problem aslong as you can have your own identity and progress from that. There were probably better bands musically in the Brit pop years but none of them had the full package like oasis. 

• Like 2

Â