Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I don't even know what it is they're doing cos I'm not listening properly but scientists looking under a glacier with some sort of micro sub probe thing taking samples and god knows what, the news says its really important and something or other... I'm just looking at the woman driving it with a PS4 controller and it makes me smile

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't even know what it is they're doing cos I'm not listening properly but scientists looking under a glacier with some sort of micro sub probe thing taking samples and god knows what, the news says its really important and something or other... I'm just looking at the woman driving it with a PS4 controller and it makes me smile

Sauvignon or blue moon?

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The RAF fly drones with XBox controllers. Or at least they used to

On 31/01/2020 at 22:39, Lombardo said:

Nostalgia drove me to post on VT again after a number of years. Good to be back. Cheered me up having the banter on Twitter earlier. 

aidy bryant snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

welcome back minions GIF

Edited by sidcow

On 07/02/2020 at 22:49, Stevo985 said:

The RAF fly drones with XBox controllers. Or at least they used to

I wonder if Microsoft will dare to sue the RAF for using their controllers in a way that is not intended? 

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I wonder if Microsoft will dare to sue the RAF for using their controllers in a way that is not intended? 

As long as the pilots throw the controller at the monitor when they get shot down it's OK apparently. 

• Haha 1

realising I've got 5 days holiday left over from last year that I didn't take, got to take it before end of march

means this year I've got 40 days holiday, 13 days for bank holidays, 6.5 bridge days and then father time means I'll probably take all of July and December off

I've taken 4 + 1 bank holiday so far...just another 84.5 days off to go

22 hours ago, Genie said:

I don't know if I'm missing a joke or reference or something, but...why? Microsoft doesn't get to tell people how to use their controllers. 

It's not rented or licensed for a specific use. They've bought an object, it's theirs to do what they want with.

Edited by Davkaus

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

realising I've got 5 days holiday left over from last year that I didn't take, got to take it before end of march

means this year I've got 40 days holiday, 13 days for bank holidays, 6.5 bridge days and then father time means I'll probably take all of July and December off

I've taken 4 + 1 bank holiday so far...just another 84.5 days off to go

You get 35 days holiday in Germany?! Think I might need to visit the Things That Piss You Off But Shouldn’t thread!

My dad’s cousin works as some kind of engineer designing car parts and I remember when they moved him from Germany to America his main thing was being able to keep his leave entitlement. Needless to say, with the average American having 10 days a year, his new boss actually laughed at it in their first meeting as he thought it was a joke...

i do

I then have to work 41 hours a week to make the bridge days work, bank holidays are on the day of the event, may day for example is 1st may so this year a Friday, next year will be a Saturday so no day off, the bridge days kick in if the day is say a Thursday, they'll give you the Friday off as well

had a meeting in spain 2/3 weeks ago with a Spanish company trying to build something here, they were fuming over the hourly rate, then the holidays came up...3 day discussion on why Spaniards working in germany would have to have more holiday but anyone from my company sent to work in spain would not be taking less

The HR bods have sent out a document advising us of the companies guidance due to Coronavirus.

It's almost as much of a laugh as the one they sent out to warn us to be careful in case we were targeted by Iran. 

I'd love to have enough free time at work for that to be a worthwhile task.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You get 35 days holiday in Germany?! Think I might need to visit the Things That Piss You Off But Shouldn’t thread. 

I was on 35 days holiday (plus several gratis days added on to bank holidays, and a week at Xmas) at a UK university. Admittedly, that wasn't universal, but based on pay grade and years of service. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was on 35 days holiday (plus several gratis days added on to bank holidays, and a week at Xmas) at a UK university. Admittedly, that wasn't universal, but based on pay grade and years of service. 

Unis do tend to give good hols but I think generally the UK lags behind the rest of Western Europe (as usual).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The HR bods have sent out a document advising us of the companies guidance due to Coronavirus.

It's almost as much of a laugh as the one they sent out to warn us to be careful in case we were targeted by Iran. 

I'd love to have enough free time at work for that to be a worthwhile task.

Our Chief Risk Officer has been advising us for 18 months that he is working on presenting us with Brexit advice soon. He presented it a couple of weeks ago. Had the whole Directors Group and Senior Management Group locked in a room for an hour. The upshot of it was "nobody knows what's going to happen". 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Our Chief Risk Officer has been advising us for 18 months that he is working on presenting us with Brexit advice soon. He presented it a couple of weeks ago. Had the whole Directors Group and Senior Management Group locked in a room for an hour. The upshot of it was "nobody knows what's going to happen". 

Well, it's done now, and everything was alright ;) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, choffer said:

I was the university project manager for Y2K.

• Like 1

Â