Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Oh yes, I used to do the bottle sweep at the end of summer evenings!

It’s such a basically good idea, the money back on return packaging. That’ll stop a fair bit of it going out to sea, once its worth easily cashed pennies.

I’d offer to take people’s deck chairs back too. You’d see them absolutely torn. They knew they’d put a 50p deposit on that chair. But they also knew it was a long walk back to the hut and then back again to where the family were stood. Easy money for the feral islander.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh yes, I used to do the bottle sweep at the end of summer evenings!

It’s such a basically good idea, the money back on return packaging. That’ll stop a fair bit of it going out to sea, once its worth easily cashed pennies.

I’d offer to take people’s deck chairs back too. You’d see them absolutely torn. They knew they’d put a 50p deposit on that chair. But they also knew it was a long walk back to the hut and then back again to where the family were stood. Easy money for the feral islander.

Not really much call for deckchairs in the Cynon Valley :D

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

All a bit new for me these games you’re all referencing.

I was the king of the 70’s arcade game. Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian. 

Find 10p and play a game for as long as I wanted.

We do an NCT party each year with our kids and the group as we stayed in touch ...

we did an 80’s retro arcade thing one year , I could literally see the awe on my kids faces as I beat the high score on Asteroids 

we still talk about it years later , well when I say we , I mean me , the kids kinda pretend they have homework to do and leave the room 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

52 Flavours in Brum, New St? Or somewhere.,.. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That still-flying mangled Avenger is impressive. 

According to comments on that twitter (and therefore absolutely trustworthy) the crew baled but the pilot decided to see how far he could get, and got it back to a landing strip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Dayville's ice cream parlour.....32 flavours i think, but yes New Street.

Yes! Dayvilles 32 flavours! I remember the day I walked in and played Operation Wolf for the first time, an UZI gun and 'ultra realistic' graphics 😜 Oh how easily pleased I was back then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If you're in Worcester at all (en route to that paint supplier in Malvern, perhaps), you could pop in to Retroids Arcade Bar (facebook page*).

Not 10p any more, mind - 50p/£1/tokens. Looks like they've gone with more pinball machines recently but, when I popped in over the xmas period, they did have original Space Invaders & Pac-Man. May have had Defender, too.

*Obligatory text:

Retroids spawned in 2018 and was born from a passion for all things arcade.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

If you're in Worcester at all (en route to that paint supplier in Malvern, perhaps), you could pop in to Retroids Arcade Bar 

It’s usually Bromsgrove at the moment, but I reckon Worcester will be a fairly regular haunt soon. It’s §currently number uni 1 choice for nipper number 2.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tilt in the city centre has good craft beer and loads of arcade machines, but it is expensive.

A new bar called NQ64 has just opened (or is about to open) in Birmingham as well and is very similar. Arcade machines and beer

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

A new bar called NQ64 has just opened (or is about to open) in Birmingham as well and is very similar. Arcade machines and beer

Yeah will be checking that out in the coming weeks. It looks quite similar to Kong which is between New Street Station and Victoria Square. They haven't quite got it right though because its 70% hipster bar and 30% classic arcade. 

Tilt is great for pinball and some interesting drinks as well.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Brexit aside, I've had a great week. 

Monday - won the pub quiz. 

Tuesday - Villa beating Leicester, and a great gig by Rachel Laven. 

Wednesday - didn't have any childcare, so a chilled day with a boozy lunch. 

Thursday - my birthday. Nice riverside walk with the missus. Open mic in the evening, and smashed it - got an encore, which is pretty much unheard of for a support act. Headliner was an old mate of mine from footballing days, and he was great. 

Today - visit from daughter and the new baby. 

Planning on going out for a post-birthday meal at the weekend. 

Good times. 

Pfffft to anybody who says they'd get bored not working/retiring.

• Like 2

Â