Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was on 35 days holiday (plus several gratis days added on to bank holidays, and a week at Xmas) at a UK university. Admittedly, that wasn't universal, but based on pay grade and years of service. 

Think my mom is the same at the council, after 5 years of service they start adding 1 day per year extra holiday up to a max of 35

One of my mates was Inland Revenue before he retired.

They had a perpetual backlog of work, but weren’t allowed to pay over time. So they would offer time and a half of in lieu if staff worked a weekend.

Now, I’m not a numbers expert, but I can see quite an issue there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Think my mom is the same at the council, after 5 years of service they start adding 1 day per year extra holiday up to a max of 35

Yeah, that exactly how it worked. I think I started on 25, went up to 30 over the next five years, then got a promotion that gave me another five. 

EDIT: But no paid overtime (or even TOIL), except in exceptional circumstances.  One of my last bugbears was doing a massive amount of overtime to meet a deadline that would have cost the uni a hefty fine if missed. Got my boss out of the shit, and she assured me that she'd sort out a generous ex gratia payment. Never heard any more about it. 

Edited by mjmooney

Joys of being in the construction industry

"I've done my week" 

Now I'm on proper flexi time, surprised me in that I'm now actually earlier to work every day, can take a max of 10 days off from accumulated time too (I'm currently at 23 hours in the bank) but I tend to knock Friday afternoons on the head to which the Portuguese construction director shakes his head and laughs "you english" which also cheers me up 

Edited by villa4europe

Long tailed tits, pretty uncommon in my area, using the bird feeder right outside my front window.

Lovely to watch.

And yes, put this one in the calendar; a post about tits that's non-sexual ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Long tailed tits, pretty uncommon in my area, using the bird feeder right outside my front window.

Lovely to watch. 

See 'em quite often here - they usual go around in gangs of about 20. 

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

See 'em quite often here - they usual go around in gangs of about 20. 

Only a pair here, must be harder tits here as they don't go out mob handed ;)

Â