Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Pfffft to anybody who says they'd get bored not working/retiring.

Quite so. Although I was musing on this "winning the lottery and giving up work - good or bad?" debate. And I think it would be different if you're young or middle aged, and all your friends and family are still working. Whereas I have a whole social circle of folks my age living the same sort of life. Wouldn't want to be the only one doing it (or have to hang out with other lottery winners). 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Brexit aside, I've had a great week. 

Monday - won the pub quiz. 

Tuesday - Villa beating Leicester, and a great gig by Rachel Laven. 

Wednesday - didn't have any childcare, so a chilled day with a boozy lunch. 

Thursday - my birthday. Nice riverside walk with the missus. Open mic in the evening, and smashed it - got an encore, which is pretty much unheard of for a support act. Headliner was an old mate of mine from footballing days, and he was great. 

Today - visit from daughter and the new baby. 

Planning on going out for a post-birthday meal at the weekend. 

Good times. 

Happy I Like It GIF by swerk

• Like 2

On 29/01/2020 at 12:14, villaglint said:

Oh this is a can of worms. It's Sensible Soccer for me, although I spent far too many hours playing both. Together with Championship Manager that is basically the only computers games I've ever played. 

Sensi soccer on the Megadrive and CM2 on my old PC - mid 90's. I think I wasted a whole year of my life, but it was worth to lead Peterborough to an era of unsurpassed glory! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tilt in the city centre has good craft beer and loads of arcade machines, but it is expensive.

Kongs as well, although never been inside

https://www.kongsbars.com/bars/birmingham/

I imagine there is a serious hipster vibe in there! 

home_arcade_games.jpg

@AVFCDAN beaten me to it! 

Edited by Xela

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sensi soccer on the Megadrive and CM2 on my old PC - mid 90's. I think I wasted a whole year of my life, but it was worth to lead Peterborough to an era of unsurpassed glory! 

Kaiserslautern all the way on Sensible Soccor ..purely for that moment when your striker scored and " Kuntz " appeared on screen 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Brexit aside, I've had a great week. 

Monday - won the pub quiz. 

Tuesday - Villa beating Leicester, and a great gig by Rachel Laven. 

Wednesday - didn't have any childcare, so a chilled day with a boozy lunch. 

Thursday - my birthday. Nice riverside walk with the missus. Open mic in the evening, and smashed it - got an encore, which is pretty much unheard of for a support act. Headliner was an old mate of mine from footballing days, and he was great. 

Today - visit from daughter and the new baby. 

Planning on going out for a post-birthday meal at the weekend. 

Good times. 

My Dad always says to me now "I don't know how I managed to fit a full time job in!" 

Since retiring my folks are out every day. Even if its just for a walk, or a drive to a new village and lunch or a poke around old book stores or antique shops. I think its important to stay active, both physically and mentally. 

Happy belated birthday! :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

This.

Eleven **** years left for me :(

Every ounce of my being now is working to retire as early as possible. Upping my pension contributions, continually tweaking my investments, etc. Obviously not at the expense at living now, but i've trimmed a lot of wasteful spending. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It is. But but such an air of "smug white well-to-do English Tories" about it. 

I know, great isn't it :trollface:

Seriously though, chatting to a few people in the bar for a couple of nights and you could count the Labour and Remain fans on the finger of an amputated hand! That was people of all ages as well. 

Just got a text from one of my daughters: 

So I made it to 11.45pm on 31st of dry January before I had a vodka and cranberry. Felt like giving up at the last 100m of a marathon 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lombardo said:

Nostalgia drove me to post on VT again after a number of years. Good to be back. Cheered me up having the banter on Twitter earlier. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 31/01/2020 at 22:39, Lombardo said:

Nostalgia drove me to post on VT again after a number of years. Good to be back. Cheered me up having the banter on Twitter earlier. 

Welcome back :thumb:

Â