Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

15 hours ago, Xela said:

When I get back to BHX, especially after a long flight, I usually just black cab it out of laziness/convenience. Last time I didn't get much change out of about £50 :( 

Private hire to the airport on the way - about £22 from memory. 

Yeah, done that myself. Too knackered to bother with train or bus....just walk out of the terminal and there they are, all lined up outside. Even as I walk across to the rank, half of my brain is saying I won't get change out of £40 whilst the other half shouts STFU and get in !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I ‘suffered‘ the £5 charge at Manchester airport recently, absolutely incredulous.

How is this shit allowed to happen? I literally was there for about 1 minute max dropping someone off at the terminal, everything is just take take take.

The South terminal at Gatwick doesn't have any flights going at the moment but it's where the trains go from, I dropped someone there so they could get the train to Luton Airport and still got charged a fiver even though there was nobody there and about 5 o'clock in the morning.  The signs aren't that visible either so you could easily not pay without realising and get a hefty fine, especially if your English isn't great.

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

I can finally eat again with having to go to the shitter right after!

Lucky you!

I remember that... back in 2013 it was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Yeah, done that myself. Too knackered to bother with train or bus....just walk out of the terminal and there they are, all lined up outside. Even as I walk across to the rank, half of my brain is saying I won't get change out of £40 whilst the other half shouts STFU and get in !

I justify it to myself by classing it as part of the holiday cost! 

• Like 2

I always drive to the airport even if it's BHX which is about 20 minutes from us. It's just nice to get back and jump in the car and go home, rather than faffing about for transport. Just factor the parking costs into the holiday. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I always drive to the airport even if it's BHX which is about 20 minutes from us. It's just nice to get back and jump in the car and go home, rather than faffing about for transport. Just factor the parking costs into the holiday. 

Can't think of anything worse. No drinking on the last day of  holiday? Nah

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It’s a similar price to park in the multi-storey for a week at BHX as it is to get a return taxi. Like you, it’s nice to just walk to the car, get in and drive home. No faffing. 

I’m usually sick of the taste of beer by that point anyway so not fussed about drinking on the way home.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This could have been posted in the Tory thread, but frankly something so endearing deserves to reside here instead…

Wow. The big dog taken down by a 5 year old girl. Didn't see that one coming 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Still free to both drop off and pick up at airports over here 🖖

And here, although they recently tried to apply for changes which were rejected. So they're definitely up to something.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

And here, although they recently tried to apply for changes which were rejected. So they're definitely up to something.

They’ll wait until there’s some kind of security incident and then it’ll be rushed through. 
IIRC it wasn’t 9/11 that changed things outside the entrances to airports it was the terrorist in Scotland who drove a burning car into the terminal.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

They’ll wait until there’s some kind of security incident and then it’ll be rushed through.

Exactly how they introduced paid pick up and drop offs at Liverpool Airport. In response to the Glasgow Airport attack in 2007

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

Exactly how they introduced paid pick up and drop offs at Liverpool Airport. In response to the Glasgow Airport attack in 2007

Is the suggestion that an attacker willing to set themselves alight and die for their beliefs would be discouraged by having to pay a fiver? If I were a terrorist about to kill myself and as many innocents as possible in an airport carpark, I'm not sure I'd be concerned about overstaying and getting a parking ticket.

They know it's stupid, they know we know it's stupid, and the robbing bastards know they'll get away with it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Is the suggestion that an attacker willing to set themselves alight and die for their beliefs would be discouraged by having to pay a fiver? If I were a terrorist about to kill myself and as many innocents as possible in an airport carpark, I'm not sure I'd be concerned about overstaying and getting a parking ticket.

They know it's stupid, they know we know it's stupid, and the robbing bastards know they'll get away with it.

It’s not about the money, it’s the fact that you cannot get close to the terminal entrance in your car anymore. So everyone has to go into the extortionately priced car park.

Maybe all the non-terrorists could get a little badge with sunflowers on it so we could still use the road by the terminal doors? 

• Like 1

Â