Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 04/01/2022 at 15:09, sidcow said:

At a mere £25 as well.

Close! £13 actually. Huge and good quality. I can't afford luxury cars, holiday or clothes, but I can afford a luxury toastie once in a while.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 17:51, Xela said:

Pint of what? Don't tease us with half a story :)

Umm, can't remember, sorry. They had 3 ales on, all 4%. One was Harvey's Sussex Best, but I didn't have that as I can get it at my local. The others were mumble mumble... something... Tasty and well kept anyway.

• Like 1

Supermarket shop day!

Cheers me up in two ways:

1 - I don’t get involved, it does not fall within my duties, it’s all done by the time I get home.

2 - Lots of goodies in the cupboards and the fridge and a world of possibilities as to what I might cook tonight and whether there will be some fancy pants dessert.

35 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Supermarket shop day!

Cheers me up in two ways:

1 - I don’t get involved, it does not fall within my duties, it’s all done by the time I get home.

2 - Lots of goodies in the cupboards and the fridge and a world of possibilities as to what I might cook tonight and whether there will be some fancy pants dessert.

How can you do the cooking if you don't get involved with the shopping? We are a mirror image of you - she cooks, I shop. But there is no 'world of possibilities' - she plans the week's menus with military precision, and gives me a very detailed shopping list. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

How can you do the cooking if you don't get involved with the shopping? We are a mirror image of you - she cooks, I shop. But there is no 'world of possibilities' - she plans the week's menus with military precision, and gives me a very detailed shopping list. 

A good mix of standards and randoms.

There will always be some chicken, but it might be a whole chicken or some thoughts or some breast. That might mean I make a curry, or a traditional roast, or something creamy with rice. 

I’ve got a decent stock of herbs and spices and whatnot so easy enough to knock up a white sauce if a chilli or a crispy spicy coating.

As it happens, tonight, we went black pudding, fried egg, tomato, and veggie sausages. Oh yes, black pudding and veggie sausages, that’s how we roll.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nevermind the sacrilege of the veggie sausage and blood sausage, the real problem here is that you're having breakfast for dinner.

No, I had it tea time, I had the last faggot sandwich for my dinner.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Nevermind the sacrilege of the veggie sausage and blood sausage, the real problem here is that you're having breakfast for dinner.

Breakfast for dinner makes a nice treat. Waffles/pancakes with sausages or bacon is great in the evening. 

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

I love a full English any time of the day. To quote Partridge, i could eat it three times a day, but i'd be dead! 

Same here. It's not called an all-day breakfast for nothing. 

Umm, online grocery delivery? Might take you ten minutes, longer the first time I suppose. Pay a fiver or so for the delivery itself. Versus, what, an hour, plus petrol, parking and people? No competition for me. YMMV. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Umm, online grocery delivery? Might take you ten minutes, longer the first time I suppose. Pay a fiver or so for the delivery itself. Versus, what, an hour, plus petrol, parking and people? No competition for me. YMMV. 

When COVID hit my wife moved exclusively to this out of caution.  Previously, she mostly developed the list  and one of us would do the shopping.  Now that she's used to it, I don't know if we'll ever go back.   She likes being able to do the shopping any time she likes and not have to worry about finding time to go out.  I'm perfectly happy to largely escape the trips to the supermarket.

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

MMV. I don't trust the **** ers to get it right. And I like an impulse buy. 

This is the obvious downside.  Some Instacart shoppers are good and others are a bit thick.  I can usually tell which kind we got but how frequently I hear my wife's phone alert with a text from a shopper because it usually means they have questions or want to substitute something.  We once got exactly 2 brussels sprouts, and we've been told the store doesn't have basic items that we know for a fact that they have and have never run out of.  It can also be a bit of a gamble with produce.  On the impulse buying front, I occasionally like that as well, but it definitely saves money to do it online.

Â