Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

10 hours ago, Anthony said:

Umm, online grocery delivery? Might take you ten minutes, longer the first time I suppose. Pay a fiver or so for the delivery itself. Versus, what, an hour, plus petrol, parking and people? No competition for me. YMMV. 

This totally. Been doing it for years - can’t stand people getting in the way and it always took a 2 hours out of a weekend. I can do it whilst in the kitchen and checking through what I need/don’t need. Pay an annual charge as well so it works out about £1 delivery each week instead and still get Saturday/Sunday delivery. Anything wrong send it back and then we have a large co op at the end of the road if need anything in particular that isn’t delivered.

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

we have a large co op at the end of the road if need anything in particular that isn’t delivered.

This is another reason I'm not interested. I know for a fact there would always be something I'd have to go out for that wasn't in the delivery. If I'm going for one or two things I may as well go for the lot. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is another reason I'm not interested. I know for a fact there would always be something I'd have to go out for that wasn't in the delivery. If I'm going for one or two things I may as well go for the lot. 

Yeah but I use to go out for the weekly shop, it always took over an hour and would have to drive. It actually took a lot of time out of the day. This way, I get a short walk where I can easily carry the shopping home with only needing a few bits or stuff that takes my fancy so probably get more exercise for it and I can still get what I want/need. 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

MMV. I don't trust the **** ers to get it right. And I like an impulse buy. 

I can dig this. I buy all I can online, plus I have a very good local butcher and greengrocer I use for the fresh stuff that I wouldn't trust the order pickers to be very selective with. Amazon sorts everything else out for us. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm the opposite, i've actually grown to appreciate going to the supermarket during the pandemic. During the early days of lockdown, it was the only chance I got to go out, get fresh air etc. Living alone, the weekly shop isn't too bad and only takes 20 mins. In fact, I value the time out so much that I often go twice a week now. Helps break up the monotony of working from home all day, every day. 

Plus the fact you get the chance to shout "scum" at those folk whose attire isn't up to your usual mere green standards.

(Yes, I do know it was you 😢)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Plus the fact you get the chance to shout "scum" at those folk whose attire isn't up to your usual mere green standards.

(Yes, I do know it was you 😢)

One has to keep oneself amused when shopping with the proles ;) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm the opposite, i've actually grown to appreciate going to the supermarket during the pandemic. During the early days of lockdown, it was the only chance I got to go out, get fresh air etc. Living alone, the weekly shop isn't too bad and only takes 20 mins. In fact, I value the time out so much that I often go twice a week now. Helps break up the monotony of working from home all day, every day. 

Shopping alone is a totally different ball game to shopping with

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Shopping alone is a totally different ball game to shopping with

For any sort of shopping.

I needed to buy a pair of shoes last weekend, after two shops we had a conversation where I basically had to say let’s do our own thing for 30 minutes. There is only so much opinion on cheap plain black work shoes that I can accept in a positive manner.

Once on my own, it turned out I didn’t need to spend £120 in Clark’s after all, £28 in Matalan was good enough for shoes to get me from a house to a car to a desk.

spacer.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For any sort of shopping.

I needed to buy a pair of shoes last weekend, after two shops we had a conversation where I basically had to say let’s do our own thing for 30 minutes. There is only so much opinion on cheap plain black work shoes that I can accept in a positive manner.

Once on my own, it turned out I didn’t need to spend £120 in Clark’s after all, £28 in Matalan was good enough for shoes to get me from a house to a car to a desk.

spacer.png

I don’t think the shoes are the problem

Edit: actually, how come you can’t tie your shoe laces yet? 

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Yeah but I use to go out for the weekly shop, it always took over an hour and would have to drive. It actually took a lot of time out of the day. 

Yeah, but (like @Xela) I don't mind that. It gets me out of the house, I play music in the car, I maybe have a look in the charity shops for any CD/book bargains, and I take my time in the supermarket, buying what I like without the wife tutting, and I load the trolley and bags methodically (unlike her random chucking stuff in method). OK, it's not exactly snorting coke off the thighs of Rachel Riley, but I really don't mind it at all. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think the shoes are the problem

Edit: actually, how come you can’t tie your shoe laces yet? 

It’s really quite handy because now I have the option of removing them in a slow seductive teasing manner, or whipping them off.

Game changer.

Also, the socks are monogrammed, I just need to change my name to something beginning with ‘F’…

• Haha 1

On 06/01/2022 at 08:30, lapal_fan said:

Aaaaaaannnnnddddd he died.

:(

Cardiac arrest as a result of his new valve putting too much pressure on his other, leaky valves.

R.I.P grandad x

Ah no :( Really sorry to hear that lapal. Condolences to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

Â