Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan.... Not quick enough, not tall enough, not good on the ball- Championship defender.

Got battered against hull last week, was very very poor in the first half today.

So incredibly harsh for me.

I agree that he gets battered by physical strikers (Anichebe destroyed him a couple of seasons back, likewise N'Doye and Jelavic last week) but that's his only downfall really. He commands well, reads the game well and looks comfortable on the ball (contrary to your view, I guess). Only one of those fairly rare genuine left-centre backs.

He's been brilliant this season imo.

Did he catch some bloke in a Leicester jersey banging his missus? Why does he keep trying to end Leicester player's lives?

Behave - it was SUCH a good tackle!

Yes it's harsh- he ain't Martin Laursen who would never get battered by such average players.

I do like his crunching tackles though :)

No he isn't Martin Laursen who was brilliant for us and one of my favourite players. However he has been our best defender this season, and I think most would accept he is Premier League standard now. He's manned up this season!

• Like 2

Clark was outstanding today.

Was he?

He completely left his man for their goal. He was a million miles away from him.

Great tackle and an ok performance but far from outstanding.

I'd still like to see an Okore Vlaar partnership blossom

To be fair, both him and Vlaar were both in poor positions for their goal as it seemed they were expecting Hutton to get rid of the ball, not pass it to a Leicester player. Yes he makes a mistake, but if Hutton doesn't make his mistake, Clark can't make his, he could of been having a chat with Schwarzer and it wouldn't have mattered if Hutton had done his job properly. I suppose you could argue about expecting the unexpected, but we were already winning 2-0, what more could've been expected :P

• Like 2

Clark was outstanding today.

Was he?

He completely left his man for their goal. He was a million miles away from him.

Great tackle and an ok performance but far from outstanding.

I'd still like to see an Okore Vlaar partnership blossom

To be fair, both him and Vlaar were both in poor positions for their goal as it seemed they were expecting Hutton to get rid of the ball, not pass it to a Leicester player. Yes he makes a mistake, but if Hutton doesn't make his mistake, Clark can't make his, he could of been having a chat with Schwarzer and it wouldn't have mattered if Hutton had done his job properly. I suppose you could argue about expecting the unexpected, but we were already winning 2-0, what more could've been expected :P

Agreed and it was noted either during commentary or the post-match analysis that it was Hutton's mistake that ultimately contributed to the goal.

I think his tackle today was a game changer....it lifted everyone.

Just a thought,

wondered what he might look like as a holding midfielder in a 4231?

particularly when Senderos, Okore & Vlarr are all fit.

no Sanchez is a better holding midfielder and Clark was never good enough in midfield when he was put in there by Houllier

i was thinking along the lines of 1 of 2 in a 4231 ?

Edited by TRO

HilariousFakeEarthworm.gif

My favourite thing with this is how he gets up and is already shouting at Delph to go forward..

Always liked Clark, and he's finally starting to look like the kid who started with Cuellar against Fulham all them years ago under MON before Dunne and Collins arrived. Also think he's better captain material than Delph too, seems much more commanding and better at barking out orders.

Absolutely loved that myself. The whole series of events in fact. 

If he applies himself and sticks at this level of progression he can be an excellent ball playing center half at a very high level. Top 8 perhaps. He could be captain here for a very long time in fact, I do hope so because I love his drive.

If you switch off for just a split second at this level then you are going to get punished. It will continue to happen with these lads because they are not champions league defenders so I think it's right to give them a break when it's as rare as it has been for Ciaran this season. He has cut out most of the silly errors and he is getting bullied less, and more of his talent (such as the tough, fair reducers) is showing through. 

Long may it continue. 

• Like 2

Â