Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might make myself unpopular here.

Whilst I loved that tackle from Ciaran on Sunday, I think he's extremely lucky he didn't get sent off.

Ball or no ball it's a horrendous challenge.

I'm glad he got away with it and I'm glad it was against Leicester. But its a bad tackle.

So that means clattenburgh is a shit referee. He was up with the action and had a clear view. That was one of the best tackles In all my years in watching football. That was like going back to before the Namby pamby players and rules came into force - a hard but fair challenge. But then what do refs know and also not one of the Leicester players including schlupp nor Pearson complained. Oh for the days when you could make a hard challenge brush it off and get on with the game like on Sunday. And he did a similar one against the same team in the league match and again right in front of the linesman got the ball first just like on Sunday.

The one in the league match was 100 times better than this one, in my opinion.

It's a fine line, but I do honestly think that this was a pretty reckless challenge. Getting the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul.

But like I said, I'm glad it wasn't a red. All I'm saying is I personally think he's lucky he didn't get one.

Edited by Stevo985

It's bordering on two footed, it's not controlled, it's using excessive force, and Schlupp is fortunate he wasn't injured by the tackle.

I may be wrong here, I'll happily concede that. But when I first saw it I thought he'd be off, and looking back at it I'm surprised nothing was given for it.

Obviously getting the ball saved him from being penalised, but I think it's irrelevant for a tackle like that to be quite honest.

I really do think it's a horrible tackle.

(ps I'll listen to the Ramble tonight but I honestly haven't listened to it this week. I'm still on the Oslo live show :) )

Edited by Stevo985

I think you're judging it harshly on the reaction of the player. It's not two footed either, I'm just not seeing what you are. It's one if the hardest fair challenges I've ever seen, particularly in the modern game.

Yeah me too! I know Lukey Moore hates Sherwood too so I'm kind looking forward to Moorestradamus's next great prediction failing miserably! No such thing as bad press eh.

But the player hasn't reacted so I'm not sure what you mean there?

Maybe I am being harsh, but to me that ticks every box for a red card, apart from of course the getting the ball bit.

What is his prediction? Does it beat my gone by end of next season prediction?

The way he goes up in the air. None of them reacted, because the challenge was fair. Getting the ball is important! I don't see excessive force either, how else should he have won the ball there? He only has a finite amount of options. If he'd missed then fair enough, but he didn't.

I've not heard yet, but he did tweet that he would be making one.

Honestly, for certain tackles getting the ball is irrelevant.

From the laws of the game:

"'Using Excessive Force' means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent: - a player who uses excessive force shall be sent off"

So I guess it comes down to whether you think Clark's tackle fits that description. For me it absolutely does. He's running full belt, he's followed through, he's (arguably) used both feet. The follow through is key. That combined with the speed is the excessive force.

But I'll accept that others may see it differently.

Edited by Stevo985

I'm with Doug on this. Stevo, I love you and I'd have your babies, but I can't see what you're seeing.

Hard, but fair challenge. Refreshing to see it as most of the time the tackled party would roll around in agony until a red card was produced then jump up and 'jog it off'.

• Like 1

It was an aggressive challenge, both players went in with equal force.

Had Schlupp ducked out of it tamely like when Ashley Young did against Gabby (to get Gabby sent off), he'd had been punished for being over zealous.  As it was, you had two guys of equal intensity going for a 50/50, Clark's studs were down, he didn't really lift off the ground and he won the ball as cleanly as you could possibly win it.

Had Schlupp screamed, rolled around and play acted as Gomez (I think) from Sunderland did when Delph gently scraped his studs down his shin, you could arguably say that Clark would have been reprimanded, so Schlupp should be respected for just getting on with it.

It was a good old fashioned tackle, the sort you don't see too often, but they lift the crowd almost as much as a goal.

He's running full pelt because it's the only way he's going to get to the ball in time, I don't see how that ties in with "excessive force". It's two footed in the fact that Clark has two feet, can't argue with that.

The follow through is natural because of the trajectory he has had to take to win the ball fairly. As lapal says above, fair play to Schlupp too for picking himself up, dusting himself off and getting on with it.

As I said, I'll concede that others will see it differently.

I think it was excessive. That follow through is not natural whatsoever. He's kicked through Schlupp as opposed to tackled him. That's the excessive bit.

I think the annoying thing about the game today is that if that tackle had been penalised by a different referee or as a result of an exaggerated over-reaction from the opposing player then none of us could have had any complaints about it. Even though the tackle would have been exactly the same in both cases. It was in that area where you've given the ref a decision to make and given your opponent the opportunity to make you rue the decision. It came off and it was great; and it really raised the crowd in the process; but because of the way modern football is, he was in another way lucky that the ref and the opponent were cool about it.

• Like 1

Agree.

Had that been at the Walkers Stadium, in front of the opponents dugout, in the 90th minute, Schlupps going to go down screaming, Pearson's going to be jumping up and down on the touchline and the crowd reaction would have been universally negative about the tackle.

In which case, a weaker ref would probably say "overly aggressive tackle, you're off matey".

But I don't think that makes the tackle any less of a good one, the pundits at the end of the game would still be saying it was a good tackle and you'd hope it would have been rescinded by the end of the week.

I don't think anyone is going to change their minds.  But I guess you could say that like the Gabby sending off, the Delph sending off - "you've seen them given" - and that applies here too.

I'm with Stevo on this one. Could have ended very differently imo. Clark had no control. I love the fact it all came off fine, no one was hurt or sent off, and he won the ball. But it was reckless.

Its a weird one, if he got sent off for it, the ref would be sending him off for what could have happened rather than what happened. Which is a space that's very grey and open to interpretation.

I agree with Stevo tbh, 90% of the time he gets a red for that this day and age, no doubt about it. I loved the tackle i thought it was brilliant but it was a little over zealous and most of the time atleast in the premier league you'll get given a red for it without doubt. Fairplay to Schlupp for taking it a lot better than most would, if a player had screamed and gone rolling then he would have probably been sent off.

Its the sort of tackle you love when its your team but if that tackle was on Benteke or Gil or something like that im sure we'd all be criticising it whether some would admit that or not.

Â