Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

He absolutely needed to go in to the tackle with that force, otherwise he wouldn't have made it in time. Just excellent defensive play from an ever improving defender.

He needed to go in at that speed.

The swinging leg and use of his other leg afterwards is the excessive part.

Do you mean he shouldn't have gone with his legs first? Should have gone in with his whole body? Genuinely just asking.

He did tackle with the inside part of his leg, studs down.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He absolutely needed to go in to the tackle with that force, otherwise he wouldn't have made it in time. Just excellent defensive play from an ever improving defender.

Do you mean he shouldn't have gone with his legs first? Should have gone in with his whole body? Genuinely just asking.

No, of course not. Where have you plucked that from?

What I mean is rather than make a normal tackle, he's swung his leg through and kicked through the player as hard as possible.

That's not necessary. He could have led with the leg like you would in a normal tackle.

A normal tackle doesn't involve booting the opponent at the same time. Ball or no ball.

Edited by Stevo985

What I mean is rather than make a normal tackle, he's swung his leg through and kicked through the player as hard as possible.

That's not necessary. He could have led with the leg like you would in a normal tackle.

A normal tackle doesn't involve booting the opponent at the same time. Ball or no ball.

Well I must have misunderstood you when you said swinging leg, thought you meant when he went in to the tackle.

Leading with his leg like a normal tackle? He did lead with his leg, he just came in at so much speed that the player went down as well. Football is a contact sport and legal tackles do mean that sometimes players go to the ground with them.

Stevo mate, save your blood vessels :)

See completely the opposite to you ive just gone back to watch it on the BBC coverage and the more I see the slow mo replays the better the tackle becomes. I really cant see what the issue is. I understand what you're saying. I just cant see anything in it.

:bang:

What part of "swinging" is making this so hard to understand?

I honestly don't know how else to explain it.

Ha ha relax. It's difficult to get across ideas about tackles in words, over the internet. I doubt we'll convince each other either way anyway!

Aww come on! Next thing you'll be saying Rooney was cleaned out for his penalty last night haha!

Do you ever stop ?

I get the feeling some of you guys get offended or annoyed just for the sake of an arguement.

That was a bossin' tackle. Yes it could have ended badly but it didn't.

We've seen a lot of less intense tackles go badly before.

He was committed and it paid off. Well timed, firm and fair in my eyes.

The most innocuous of tackles can crock an opponent depending on timing, landing etc etc. I simply cannot see what is wrong with the tackle in question.

Would be interesting to see how many referees in the premier league, had that been on Hazard and Mourinho jumped up and Chelsea players surround the ref, might have been pressured into giving that as a red card.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Really hope Ciaran keeps his place in this side, he's a good voice on the pitch it seems and not afraid to get stuck in. What is really great to see is the clumsy mistakes from previous seasons have been eliminated which were his massive downfall

I am the complete opposite to you regards this tackle. It was a great challenge and the better man came away with the ball.

You cannot expect to put 22 men onto a field, in a competition where winning and losing is at stake, and expect for there to be no blood shed. It's like asking for two boxers to go 12 rounds and both come out of the ring without spilling a drop of blood. It is no good going into the challenge softly as that will result in you getting injured. Football is a game where you can intimidate a player with your body language as well as your physical presence. Just going into the challenge looking like you mean business can result in you coming away with the ball, and that's what happened in this instance.

Football should be allowed to be a physical sport. Soon, they will be playing without studs and shin pads. It's a physical, contact sport - not ballet.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that for me. Eyes firmly on the ball, studs down and won the ball. Great challenge. Yes if he's missed the ball he'd have been in trouble but even that would have probably only been yellow as long as it wasn't high.

Â