Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

no Sanchez is a better holding midfielder and Clark was never good enough in midfield when he was put in there by Houllier

i was thinking along the lines of 1 of 2 in a 4231 ?

I think he could do it, but Westwood and Delph are currently keeping Sanchez out of the side in that position and I'm not sure Clark would get in ahead of any of those three.

It's notable that both Clark and Baker have shown signs that they're developing into very decent centre halves this season - they both played a lot when they were very young, often together, in a position that needs a bit of experience and I'm glad we're stuck with them both. I suspect we'll see the benefit over the next few years.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark was outstanding today.

Was he?

He completely left his man for their goal. He was a million miles away from him.

Great tackle and an ok performance but far from outstanding.

I'd still like to see an Okore Vlaar partnership blossom

To be fair, both him and Vlaar were both in poor positions for their goal as it seemed they were expecting Hutton to get rid of the ball, not pass it to a Leicester player. Yes he makes a mistake, but if Hutton doesn't make his mistake, Clark can't make his, he could of been having a chat with Schwarzer and it wouldn't have mattered if Hutton had done his job properly. I suppose you could argue about expecting the unexpected, but we were already winning 2-0, what more could've been expected :P

Agreed and it was noted either during commentary or the post-match analysis that it was Hutton's mistake that ultimately contributed to the goal.

No doubt, Hutton´s error on 70%.

10% was Grealish´s for not coming to the ball, 10% Vlaar´s for not going to support Hutton for short pass or not instructing/commanding enough Hutton to clear the ball and 10% Clark´s as all defenders are instructed to act as they are "chained" together.

But you can not expect the dumbness of your teammate (clear that f@king ball!). Or can (in Hutton´s case)?

It seems that Ciaran had learned something. At least he keeps his studs on the ground in those crunchy tackles, so at most a yellow card in case of injury or Chelski player.

Still out of decent position when marking opponents sometimes, but learning. Baksy too.

I think his tackle today was a game changer....it lifted everyone.

Just a thought,

wondered what he might look like as a holding midfielder in a 4231?

particularly when Senderos, Okore & Vlarr are all fit.

Or we could just keep him as a very good centre back, the best one we have.

Allan Evans was always one of my top heroes. He just blasted through guys, was tough as nails. Ciaran is not Evans, but in some of these tackles Ciaran looks just as mean (in a good way).

I remember good old , Garry Bruno Thompson sparking Evans with one dig , in his Coventry days . Now there was his old man .

I think his tackle today was a game changer....it lifted everyone.

Just a thought,

wondered what he might look like as a holding midfielder in a 4231?

particularly when Senderos, Okore & Vlarr are all fit.

One of my VillaTalk pet hates.

Clark grew in confidence 2nd half against Leicester as did the team but if we are looking to improve I wouldn't have him as a starter from that performance. Every time he went to kick it right footed he conceded a corner, it was quite laughable if it hadn't been so stressful at the time. I'd defo stick with him as wins his headers and likes a tackle :) but he's almost still playing like a novice kid but isn't anymore. We have been blessed with centre backs over the years and he has A LOT to do to warrant a weekly start for me.

• Like 2

Clarky, if you're thinking of taking up the challenge and breaking one - if not both - of Gardner's legs in the upcoming derby games, can you please make sure that we have enough cover for your three match ban. I mean, if Baker, Vlaar and Okore are all fit, I see no reason why you couldn't do it in the league fixture - so he misses the cup game as well as you. But, if you do so, please make it towards the end of the game so that you don't leave us with 10 men for too long unless of course they've made three subs early enough, and for some strange reason he's still on the pitch, you can just get him then.

Good luck! :bang:  :flag:

PS: Getting him and staying on would be really impressive and I am sure your new gaffer would be happier with that too!

• Like 1

I might make myself unpopular here.

Whilst I loved that tackle from Ciaran on Sunday, I think he's extremely lucky he didn't get sent off.

Ball or no ball it's a horrendous challenge.

I'm glad he got away with it and I'm glad it was against Leicester. But its a bad tackle.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Whilst I loved that tackle from Ciaran on Sunday, I think he's extremely lucky he didn't get sent off.

I'm glad he got away with it and I'm glad it was against Leicester. But its a bad tackle.[/quot

If they had a competion for tackle of the season ,then trust me , that tackle would win hands dowm , it was beautifully judged and performed with great technique , the expression on the boat of the other player was priceless

I'm glad he got away with it and I'm glad it was against Leicester. But its a bad tackle.

So that means clattenburgh is a shit referee. He was up with the action and had a clear view. That was one of the best tackles In all my years in watching football. That was like going back to before the Namby pamby players and rules came into force - a hard but fair challenge. But then what do refs know and also not one of the Leicester players including schlupp nor Pearson complained. Oh for the days when you could make a hard challenge brush it off and get on with the game like on Sunday. And he did a similar one against the same team in the league match and again right in front of the linesman got the ball first just like on Sunday.
  • Like 4

Â