Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

He looks good, and was very good for the youth team when he played for them. Despite that, I really don't think we should pin our hopes on him. He's looked competent in the games he's played, and that's reason for optimism, but I'll reserve my judgement fully once he's played in more difficult games.

Against Newcastle he was woeful, and his other games were at home against teams who didn't look like threatening.

Calling him a future England captain (surely?!) is ridiculous at this stage. He's hardly proven and like I said has been competent thus far in games that have been little test to him (bar Newcastle).

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is every promising centre half described as a future england captain?

Probably because CH's (and possibly DCM's) tend to make the best skippers as they are typically organisers, vocal and committed and the game is played in front of them. Look at Ferdinand and Terry. Therefore, if you become a regular in that position you have a decent chance of being skipper.

He's a future England captain, surely?

I'm half Scot half English with the lineage to play for Ireland, but that lad is 3/4 English with a paddy grandma.

Btw Costa del Sol (Baker) is from Dines Green in Worcester.

why is every promising centre half described as a future england captain?

I was told both his parents are Irish.

I don't see how its totally ridiculous seeing as he has captained the England u-19 and U-20 sides.

Big difference being at that level your only really competing with people of the same age.

Maybe, but thats why they probably say future England captain. Ie. if he is good enough to play reguarly for England then he might get captain one day.

He was born in Harrow FFS sake, it doesn't matter whether his dad was Ghanaian and his mum Tahitian, being born in England makes you English.

I don't think it's ridiculous to tout him as a future England captain when he's got got leadership quality's, good defender already and has aleady captained his country at youth.

I'm half Scot half English with the lineage to play for Ireland, but that lad is 3/4 English with a paddy grandma.

Not quite true

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Clark-signs-the-dotted-line.5890651.jp

Although London born and an England underage international, Clark has stong Donegal connections. He is the grandson of Vera Clark, originally from Moyle Hill in Milford, but presently living in Manorcunningham.

Ciaran's father Michael, although born in Edinburgh when his family were working in Scotland for a time, is a former student of Drummond National School in Ballyare and played for Milford United under Fr Michael Herrity as a teenager.

Michael eventually decided to move to England to find work and his wife Peggy, from Drumshambo, Co Leitrim, who trained as a nurse in Letterkenny General Hospital, left with him in early 1989. Michael now works with the London Underground, although makes the trip home on two or three occasions a year to visit his sizable extended family that includes the McGinleys, Lynaghs, McMonagles, Sweeneys and McCuskers.

He was born in Harrow FFS sake, it doesn't matter whether his dad was Ghanaian and his mum Tahitian, being born in England makes you English.

Not necessarily. Tell this to the likes of Kevin Kilbane, born and raised in England but always wanted to play for Ireland, and even turned up to an England underage trial in an Ireland jersey! The only reason Ciaran was born in England is because his dad couldn't get work in Ireland at the time. And what about the likes of McGrath? He was born in England, but nobody would ever say he's not Irish.

Thought he was from Bedford, I seen him in the Town a few time and know some people who went to school with him and I know he played for a local football team. Hope he play for england, his confidence need rebuilding after the Newcastle match, just hope he doesn't go down the same route as Delfounso has lately.

Thought he was from Bedford, I seen him in the Town a few time and know some people who went to school with him and I know he played for a local football team. Hope he play for england, his confidence need rebuilding after the Newcastle match, just hope he doesn't go down the same route as Delfounso has lately.

I'd say he showed in the Blackburn game that confidence isn't much of an issue. The lad played like nothing had happened. In terms of playing for Ireland it's a very difficult decision for him but I'd be surprised if very many English born players regret making the switch to the Irish side.

The reality I suspect is that he will want to play for England at a senior level having played at lower levels. If he was that keen to play for Ireland surely he would have already.

He qualifies for both England and Ireland and can still play for Ireland at a senior level even if he plays U21 for Engand. He could opt to play for Ireland if he feels he will not get a chance for England at a senior level which I think would be the deciding factor.

I have never heard of him being approached by the the FAI unlike Gabby who was named in several 'provisional' Nigerian squads and is actually qualified to play for Nigeria (via his father), Scotland (via his mother) and England (by birth).

Ciaran Clark, Aston Villa's London-born central defender, has been approached to play for the Republic of Ireland.

Clark, 20, who has captained the England under-20 team, qualifies to play for the Republic through his grandmother.

Despite already playing for England at youth level, FIFA rules still allow him to switch allegiance and play for the Republic.

He is currently considering the offer from the Football Association of Ireland.

http://tinyurl.com/336bem6

Go on Ciaran - you know it makes sense. A chance to wear God's no 5 Jersey

I don't think it's ridiculous to tout him as a future England captain when he's got got leadership quality's, good defender already and has aleady captained his country at youth.

Without trying to get to polital, if too refugees/asylum seekers gave a baby just after getting off the euro star does that make them parents of an english child??

Or a french couple on holidays in Blackpool who go into early labour, not have a french child??? Being born somewhere intitles you to citizanship of that country, you dont have to recieve it.

I remember JPA had his wife fly home to Columbia so his child wont be intitled to an English passport.(Prob cause he knew you guys would want him for ENG-ER-LAND too lol)

Â