Barry Bannan

villianusa

Yep - not one of his greatest performances and you can tell he knew that himself.

Thought he looked nervy which translated to the rest of the team.

On the plus side though we look infinitely better with him and Westwood in the centre of the park. Keeping the ball and building the play with short passes on the ground, which used to look virtually impossible, now seems a bit more achievable.

I thought his general play was poor last night. Some of his corners were good but he gave the ball away too easily and in dangerous positions too often. To be honest I would have subbed him and left Holman on but that is just my choice

didn't have the best of games last night but does my head how quickly the fans around me get on his back and then because he ain't having the best of games start shouting "get bannan off the corners" when all of them were fine.

Think i read stat which says Bannan has created the most chances for us this season and then one from last night which said Bannan had made the most key passes in the match.

Just stick with him, young players are bound to feel the pressure in matches where we are expected to win. This isn't 1982 anymore.

Yeah, he was wasteful last night and nervy in possession, but he wasn't the only one. He at least kept on trying and didn't go missing.

I don't think you can take a lot from last night's game as it was so tense and there was a very real feeling of 'we have 90 minutes to save our season'.

I thought his general play was poor last night. Some of his corners were good but he gave the ball away too easily and in dangerous positions too often. To be honest I would have subbed him and left Holman on but that is just my choice

I agree that Bannan's play was poor last night, but part of that comes down to Holman, who should not have started over Ireland. I feel Ireland provides not only better outlets for the ball, but also gives it away a lot less than Holman in the middle third, which puts Bannan and Westwood under pressure quickly.

That being said, I have never been a big fan of Bannan, but his performances over the last month have been consistently good when he plays a smart game. His margin for error is very small given his size and pace limitations, so he absolutely has to make good decisions. Last night he did not, and ended up giving away possession in general, and too often in dangerous areas.

I agree that Bannan's play was poor last night, but part of that comes down to Holman, who should not have started over Ireland. I feel Ireland provides not only better outlets for the ball, but also gives it away a lot less than Holman in the middle third, which puts Bannan and Westwood under pressure quickly.

That being said, I have never been a big fan of Bannan, but his performances over the last month have been consistently good when he plays a smart game. His margin for error is very small given his size and pace limitations, so he absolutely has to make good decisions. Last night he did not, and ended up giving away possession in general, and too often in dangerous areas.

One of the reasons why he didn't play as well as in previous games was probably that he and the team hadn't fully recovered from game against Arsenal. More experienced player probably could've balanced it out but only way for young players to get experience is to play them though.

I like Bannan, he has a good eye for pass and (tries to) make himself available to receive the ball. He looks to have gained more consistency this season which has come from playing games. People tends to slack off younger players for being inconsistent but consistency comes only from getting to play and from experience. That being said, Bannan would've probably benefitted playing alongisde older more experienced similar player past couple of seasons.

Personally would have took him off for Ireland last night, was a little disappointed Ireland didn't start. Also think that considering how many corners Bannan takes he's been very wasteful. I understand it's not just upto him but also the players that should be converting them, but the delivery just seems too predictable and easy to deal with.

Made me laugh when him and Benteke were arguing though, now that'd be one sided :D

Wasn't great with the ball last night but I think his overall game has come on alot he tracks back and gets his a good share of blocks in.His corners were better last night on the whole.Whipped in rather than floated.

Wasn't great with the ball last night but I think his overall game has come on alot he tracks back and gets his a good share of blocks in.His corners were better last night on the whole.Whipped in rather than floated.

Yep, they were. I guarantee Barry reads this site.

i too am not keen on him, and if he was sold then we still have other players in the team of slightly better quality, hes replaceable for sure, although i do believe that we could get a tidy price for him which could go towards strengthen another position, like left back, left wing or centre back

Yep, they were. I guarantee Barry reads this site.

I think a lot of footballers do.

On that note, I think he has come on leaps and bounds this season. He's less of a luxury passenger and is starting to cement himself as the fulcrum of our midfield. I thought he was remarkably average against Reading, but it's worth noting that unlike pre-Lambert Bannan he didn't shy away from the challenge.

I cannot understand why after one poor game in the last 6 people start to knock Wee Barry? He has been our most consistant mid this season and has really matured. He doesn't try the Hollywood pass everytime he has the ball and is forming a great little partnership with Westwood. Both Holman and Ireland could do worse than look at the little man as to how to adapt to Premiership football.

What we also have to remember about the Reading game is that it was the youngest ever Villa side and to grind out 3 points 3 days after playing an in form Arsenal side (albeit they looked poor) and getting a point off them.

We need to be realistic, we have an owner who won't/can't invest in experienced players on big wages so we have to make the most of home grown players or rough diamonds from overseas/lower leagues. Suggesting selling Bannan and bringing in this that or the other isn't going to happen under Lerner so get used to Bannanesque players.

Luckily for us we have a fantastic youth set up and the prospects coming through at the moment could be better than the Bannan, Albrighton, Herd, Clark, Baker era.