Barry Bannan

villianusa

It often seems to me that young players that we develop are given far far more time and their performances excused far longer than those we sign.

I'm never quite sure why but it is often the case.

Had we signed Bannan I think he would get far more criticism on here than he does.

I don't know how much longer we can keep calling this crop of players 'kids'. Bannan is 23 and played over 50 games for us, I think he was the most experienced player against Liverpool which is scary considering how average he is. Too lightweight, awful passes that rarely come off, the only one of his across field glory passes I can remember leading to a goal was Albrighton v Fulham which must have been a few years ago now. I'd love to know what he actually did for 90 minutes to be honest.

It often seems to me that young players that we develop are given far far more time and their performances excused far longer than those we sign.

I'm never quite sure why but it is often the case.

Had we signed Bannan I think he would get far more criticism on here than he does.

I'm inclined to agree with this and I am guilty of this sometimes myself. I think we all like to see a lad who has been with us since his mid teens who has come through the ranks come good and are perhaps often blind to the bare facts that they may simply not be good enough.

For me it is becoming increasingly obvious that Bannan is not a Premier League player. He is a tryer and a decent passer but he is neither a threat in an attacking sense and nor does he read the game well enough to be an holding midfield player. It is perhaps a sad indictment of our midfield options that he is getting a game at present although having said that I think Ireland would be a far better option than him.

I'm inclined to agree with this and I am guilty of this sometimes myself. I think we all like to see a lad who has been with us since his mid teens who has some through the ranks come good and are perhaps often blind to the bare facts that they may simply not be good enough.

Yeah I think that is part of it, I also think because people have heard so many good things about the next big think in our youth ranks they give them way more time in the hope of it being true. I also think at times it is because people don't want to go back on their previously expressed views and admit a player isn't all that.

I remember the Moore brothers being given a really easy time for a long time for this reason and the one you've rightly given when it was quite obvious they just weren't all that good. It was the same with Delfounesso but that seems to be changing now.

Now it seems Bannan benefits from this despite being 23 and having played 50 odd games yet the likes of Joe Bennett are being written off.

For me it is becoming increasingly obvious that Bannan is not a Premier League player. He is a tryer and a decent passer but he is neither a threat in an attacking sense and nor does he read the game well enough to be an holding midfield player. It is perhaps a sad indictment of our midfield options that he is getting a game at present although having said that I think Ireland would be a far better option than him.

Agreed.

I can't put my finger on what kind of midfielder Bannan wants to be, he can't choose when to hit long hollywood passes and when to keep it simple, he certainly isn't defending midfielder and he isn't box-to-box. Need to get someone else to play with Westwood, perhaps try Delph there in Spurs game?

Or perhaps, just like Heskey and perhaps Ireland he isn't any good.

Not saying any of them are any good as that is a different debate but Ireland and Nzogbia certainly have not had as many chances as Bannan and many others. How many times has Ireland actually played 90 minutes and what has Bannan done to be considered better than him???

Is it now a rule that because we pay someone high wages we can no longer give them the same crack of the whip?

Not saying any of them are any good as that is a different debate but Ireland and Nzogbia certainly have not had as many chances as Bannan and many others. How many times has Ireland actually played 90 minutes and what has Bannan done to be considered better than him???

Is it now a rule that because we pay someone high wages we can no longer give them the same crack of the whip?

I'm not particularly a fan of either N'Zogbia or Ireland but I would rather have Ireland in the side than Bannan.